When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sandy

Why are you so obsessed about joining the EU?

This is an outdated, failing organisation which is progressively seeing diminishing amounts of world trade.

It is cumbersome and slow (witness the vaccine fiasco) and is designed primarily for the economies of Germany and France.

The southern EU states are suffering badly.

As expected, it will take the UK some time to get itself together but, apart from trade border problems, it hasn’t been the disaster that folks like you keep hoping for.

Far better to be an independent state.

Thought that’s what the SNP was all about.

Absolutely no one cares about your cretinous views, you bigot c**t.

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sandy

This is an outdated, failing organisation which is progressively seeing diminishing amounts of world trade.

It is cumbersome and slow (witness the vaccine fiasco) and is designed primarily for the economies of Germany and France.

The southern EU states are suffering badly.

As expected, it will take the UK some time to get itself together but, apart from trade border problems, it hasn’t been the disaster that folks like you keep hoping for.

Far better to be an independent state.

Thought that’s what the SNP was all about.

99% of the newspapers published here in the uk are tory driven, every issue presently carries a scare story on the EU, so you probably, (going by the old adage), believe everything you read/need in the newspapers, good luck to you with that one.

There are many plusses in being part of the EU, 62% of Scottish voters thought so when voting in the Brexit Ref.

Firstly with a population of 446 million it is the largest trading bloc in the world, and regardless of the Brexiteer scare stories Germany alone with a population of 83 million seems an attractive trading partner to me, or are you going to tell us that Germany's economy is a shambles, btw I noted that Amsterdam overtook the London Stcck Exchange in trading shares recently, a blip? maybe or a sign of things to come.

Then there's free travel for all EU citizens without visa's and all the crap that goes with applications, as well I know throughout my working career.

There are many other plusses, but to end, the EU strongly protected workers rights and working hours, for years now uk employers have railed and campaigned  against that, especially the North Sea oil industry.

So now you are where you are without EU protection I hope that the uk employers don't get their way with this tory government and manage to chip away at your working conditions because that's a real possibility.

Edited by SandyCromarty

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I wouldn’t imagine there are any barriers to creating a Central Bank but will it have adequate reserves to sustain the huge amount of debt Scotland will be racking up as admitted by the Growth Commission. What will interest rates be ? What will be the cost of mortgages?

People will need lots of answers before they trust you with their finances.

All sounds very dodgy to me!!

In other words - ‘No thanks!’

Do you have similar concerns about the astronomical levels of debt the UK is, and has been for yonks, racking up?

What about the fact that young people currently residing in the UK, and earning 'decent' salaries, are absolutely nowhere near being able to afford mortgages on modest properties without huge deposits, invariably courtesy of the bank of Boomer Mum & Dad?

Why the f**k would you happily trust Westminster with your finances under these circumstances regardless of the UK's ability to sustain the debt? 

All sounds very dodgy to me.

No thanks.

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:
2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:
On applying for EU membership the applicant must have it's own Central Bank.
Central Banks are national institutions which control the commercial banking field, interest rates, money in circulation and currency.
To suggest that Scotland would create it's own Central Bank and not have it's own currency tied to that bank is ludicrous and would obviously deter an EU membership application.
We cannot apply for EU membership while we are tied to a non EU state bank such as the Bank of England.
But you prefer the lie rather than fact so go ahead, I've no more to say on the matter.

Every country in the Eurozone has a central bank despite having a shared currency. The growth commission recommended the creation of a Scottish central bank and sharing sterling. There is nothing in the accession criteria that requires an independent currency. These are facts.

Scotland would surely be entitled to its share of the UK central bank reserves if its going to be ‘het’ for its own share of the UK’s debt? If thats not the case then we can quickly launch a central bank as we wont have debt payments to make initially? 

2 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Looks like everybody's loveable, long haired scamp, Neil Oliver, has put in his CV for the vacant Union unit. Should get it given he's a vacant Union moon unit.

Neil Oliver: Scotland is making me sick — and it’s not Covid to blame

Sunday Times.

Seems only fair. He’s been making Scotland sick for long enough.

7 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sandy

The EU is deeply flawed - we saw this during the Brexit negotiations.  However, the idea of a trading bloc of like-minded countries with 'The Freedoms' is a laudable one and certainly has my support.  That Britain as a country chose a different path was certainly not my choice - though I do hope we pull it off however much it goes against the grain.

There are two criticisms of Natterism, though.  1 They are emulating their Brexit pals in putting up barriers when all sane people want barriers to be brought down.  2. They are wildly optimistic about the path to EU membership.  There is not a hope in hell that this will be achieved in under a decade after Scotland's exit from the UK is complete.

Edited by The_Kincardine

10 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The EU is deeply flawed - we saw this during the Brexit negotiations.  However, the idea of a trading bloc of like-minded countries with 'The Freedoms' is a laudable one and certainly has my support.  That Britain as a country chose a different path was certainly not my choice - though I do hope we pull it off however much it goes against the grain.

The are two criticisms of Natterism, though.  1 They are emulating their Brexit pals in putting up barriers when all sane people want barriers to be brought down.  2. They are wildly optimistic about the path to EU membership.  There is not a hope in hell that this will be achieved in under a decade after Scotland's exit from the UK is complete.

Very true.

Yes, the EU has laudable aims but it is set up, through the single currency pertaining to the eurozone, such that the self interest of Germany and France always takes precedence over the likes of Greece, Spain, Italy and Portugal. The euro is too strong for the weaker nations and there is no common fiscal policy to even things out.

In the UK, the sterling zone, the wealth of London and the South East subsidises the regions of England and the nations and this can be adjusted as circumstances change. Such a mechanism within the eurozone doesn’t exist.

12 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

In the UK, the sterling zone, the wealth of London and the South East subsidises the regions of England and the nations and this can be adjusted as circumstances change. Such a mechanism within the eurozone doesn’t exist.

Indeed.  A country with its own currency and central bank is much more agile and robust.  This is unarguable.

I also take the Natter love-in with the EU with a huge pinch of salt.  As i said the other day, in the 1975 referendum they were running about the place telling everyone of the evils of the EEC and how Scotland's best interests were served by being outside of the UK and outside of the Common Market.

This party is the apotheosis of the old, "We have principles and if you don't like them we have others" gag.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

This party is the apotheosis of the old, "We have principles and if you don't like them we have others" gag.

Nope - that’s still you: the old racist bigot who claims he just hates those gosh-darn Brexiters, but ... uh ... will vote for them and support them because rule Britannia, by jingo. Your principles, in so far as they exist, appear to be whatever will earn you the approval of people who think you’re an unsavoury gimp (and by this I mean your adoptive countrymen, not everyone on this forum). 

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

Nope - that’s still you: the old racist bigot who claims he just hates those gosh-darn Brexiters, but ... uh ... will vote for them and support them because rule Britannia, by jingo. Your principles, in so far as they exist, appear to be whatever will earn you the approval of people who think you’re an unsavoury gimp (and by this I mean your adoptive countrymen, not everyone on this forum). 

You okay? 

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Wild that this c**t is still posting after his disgraceful "gender bending" comment the other day.

Oh, that's mild. He came out with some proper homophobic stuff that seemed to pass under the radar during Supras/Pep/Fuzzy/Carrnoustie/whatever's wee meltdown over "sucking cock".

Anyway, I wish the EU would hurry up and fall apart, considering I've been hearing it's about to happen since before it even existed under that name. Haven't heard much lately about the Euro dropping through the floor and being abandoned, but it'll only a matter of time before that returns. Probably right before it overtakes the pound in value.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed.  A country with its own currency and central bank is much more agile and robust.  This is unarguable.

I also take the Natter love-in with the EU with a huge pinch of salt.  As i said the other day, in the 1975 referendum they were running about the place telling everyone of the evils of the EEC and how Scotland's best interests were served by being outside of the UK and outside of the Common Market.

Most of us weren't born in 1975 pal. Nobody cares what political parties full of people who are mostly dead now were saying about the EEC 46 years ago.

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's interesting taking a party policy from nearly 50 years ago. By that metric the Conservatives of 1975 would be seen today as on a par with Labour while Labour would be practically communists.

You can actually read the October 1974 Conservative Party manifesto online. Worth a shufty if you're a geek. 

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Oh, that's mild. He came out with some proper homophobic stuff that seemed to pass under the radar during Supras/Pep/Fuzzy/Carrnoustie/whatever's wee meltdown over "sucking cock".

Anyway, I wish the EU would hurry up and fall apart, considering I've been hearing it's about to happen since before it even existed under that name. Haven't heard much lately about the Euro dropping through the floor and being abandoned, but it'll only a matter of time before that returns. Probably right before it overtakes the pound in value.

Pep isn't Supras. I get where that impulse comes from but they're not the same person. Diff energies.

15 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Couldn't agree with you more, I have read, over the last days, with amusement the arguments against Scotland creating it's own Central Bank.

What many seem to have missed is that the Scottish Government, in November 2020, created The Scottish National Investment Bank with £2 Billion in funding.

A small step maybe  but with a sure view towards Independence with a Central Bank in line with EU membership application Acquis.