When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The tory neep from darkest Aberdeenshire Andrew Bowie whipping himself into a frenzy on the politics show this lunchtime with a hitleresque type rant on anti SNP/Independence and how westminster has bailed Scotland out during the pandemic etc etc etc, to his tiny brain we Scots are totally dependent on westminster for every aspect of our lives and we should be grateful and get rid of the SNP and any thought of looking after ourselves.

The fool is a total godsend to the Independence cause, bless him.

Just before the wrap the host handed over to an english chap for a comment, he immediately stated that westminster is a corrupt institution and Bowie as an MP was part of that institution.

Bowie refused to reply.

George Monbiot - "If I lived in Scotland, I would want to get out of this chaotic, dysfunctional, corrupt union as quickly as I could... as Scotland would be much better off out of the United Kingdom & in the European Union."

The BBC presenter looks gutted.

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1359849606016827394

The question of a Scottish Currency on gaining Independence has been covered on here many times.
So here we go again.
On gaining Independence a priority for the Scottish Government will be applying for EU membership, under EU rules one clear stipulation is that we cannot apply if we are tied to a currency of a non EU member, so with that requirement we cannot be tied to the english pound and instead we will create a temporary currency until we gain membership and the Euro.
The Scottish Dollar?????

Which rules?

The question of a Scottish Currency on gaining Independence has been covered on here many times.
So here we go again.
On gaining Independence a priority for the Scottish Government will be applying for EU membership, under EU rules one clear stipulation is that we cannot apply if we are tied to a currency of a non EU member, so with that requirement we cannot be tied to the english pound and instead we will create a temporary currency until we gain membership and the Euro.
The Scottish Dollar?????

I will be voting yes but...

Temporary currency? Whats the cost of that? How does that work with mortgages etc? How long will it take to join the EU?

24 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

The tory neep from darkest Aberdeenshire Andrew Bowie whipping himself into a frenzy on the politics show this lunchtime with a hitleresque type rant on anti SNP/Independence and how westminster has bailed Scotland out during the pandemic etc etc etc, to his tiny brain we Scots are totally dependent on westminster for every aspect of our lives and we should be grateful and get rid of the SNP and any thought of looking after ourselves.

The fool is a total godsend to the Independence cause, bless him.

Just before the wrap the host handed over to an english chap for a comment, he immediately stated that westminster is a corrupt institution and Bowie as an MP was part of that institution.

Bowie refused to reply.

A random English chap = Political activist George Monbiot. 

Monica Lennon pushing the devo card again, I can't imagine she'll beat Sarwar but it could be interesting if she were to. She seems very sincere but perhaps too unpolished and too young. 

First time seeing Shona Robinson - absolute robotic crank, probably posts on here under several aliases. 

Madeline Grant is an absolute wid. 

5 hours ago, renton said:

No, that's straw clutching.

Thought I'd check the SiU FB page as they're boasting about this poll ( which shows a clear SNP maj, and a majority for Indepedence )   

Some crackers like this:    if you add the 10% don't knows onto the 'no' vote(usually the case and high level of don't knows ) gives them a majority ..47/42 10% don't know 'makes it approx 52/47 to the 'no'

George Monbiot - "If I lived in Scotland, I would want to get out of this chaotic, dysfunctional, corrupt union as quickly as I could... as Scotland would be much better off out of the United Kingdom & in the European Union."

George Monbiot is a lad.

Lol at Andrew Bowie squirming away.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Which rules?

The same rules that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania followed in creating new currencies independent of a non EU member, (The Russian Rouble), this then entitled those  Baltic states to join the Euro at a later date.

In the 2014 Scottish Independence referendum the better together movement exploited the currency issue to the extent that westminster issued a statement vetoing an Independent Scotland using the pound, the SNP had not prepared for this outcome and the result was a hammer blow when the no vote won.

However Brexit has changed this dramatically and the SNP have adopted a policy of a new currency being introduced on gaining Independence.

The new currency will be in place during the 2-3 years handover negotiations between the UK and Scotland and the ongoing EU Membership application.

A new currency launched in Scotland, similarly to those other countries that have also created their own currencies prior to EU membership, would see us gain financial stability and greater financial benefits allowing us Scots full monetary policy clear of westminster control.

There's literally no point in swapping monetary policy controlled by the BOE with monetary policy controlled by the ECB. I don't quite get why joining the Euro is such a popular idea on here - I've made my views on it clear before that I don't think it's as optimal as a new, free floating Scottish currency.

Spend a fortune setting up a new currency - and everything that involves - only to chuck it after three years is a ridiculous idea too.

The same rules that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania followed in creating new currencies independent of a non EU member, (The Russian Rouble), this then entitled those  Baltic states to join the Euro at a later date.

Sorry I clearly didn’t phrase the question clearly

I should have said something along the lines of

In what legislation, treaty or other document are the details of these rules laid out?

I’d be interested in reading them.

They sound significant

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

George Monbiot is a lad.

Lol at Andrew Bowie squirming away.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Bowie's majority of nearly 8000 in 2017 was reduced to 800 two years later in 2019, sums up his hysteria with the SNP being the Big Bad Wolf.

George Monbiot is very much a good guy.  Andrew Bowie's pretend laughing and head shaking is pathetic.  He's acting like he's a head boy who's become head teacher of the school for the day.

There's literally no point in swapping monetary policy controlled by the BOE with monetary policy controlled by the ECB. I don't quite get why joining the Euro is such a popular idea on here - I've made my views on it clear before that I don't think it's as optimal as a new, free floating Scottish currency.
Spend a fortune setting up a new currency - and everything that involves - only to chuck it after three years is a ridiculous idea too.

Yeah f**k the Euro. I want our own currency. And I don’t want the Scottish “pound” either, let’s make it the dollar. Mon the dollar.

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

On gaining Independence a priority for the Scottish Government will be applying for EU membership, under EU rules one clear stipulation is that we cannot apply if we are tied to a currency of a non EU member,

They say nothing like that at all. The stipulation is that any central bank is independent, not the currency.

Edited by Baxter Parp

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Andrew Bowie's pretend laughing and head shaking is pathetic.  He's acting like he's a head boy who's become head teacher of the school for the day.

The perfect description of a particular brand of Tory*.

* Most of them.

2 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

Bowie is my MP. Was delighted to see the job Monbiot did on him, and the Tories in general today.

Monbiot is a great writer, especially his environmental stuff. He's written about Scotland leaving the UK before in, I think, The Guardian, but getting that out on TV was choice. Be nice if that sets a trend. And seeing yer man Bowie flapping made it even better.