When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Stinky Bone said:

If the court action returns an "ultra vires" verdict in what way can the Scottish Government up the ante?  Please explain. 

If the court returns Ultra Vires ( which it will ) Nicola Sturgeon would have preferred it didn't take place.   No point arriving at the negotiation table if you know you've nothing in your basket.  

8 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

We always have something in our basket.  

Why would it return ultra vires. 

The three law experts I've heard talking about it including @Ad Lib on here believe it's the likely outcome.   If you have reasons to doubt them then let's be hearing it.  

Edited by Erih Shtrep

If the court returns a judgement that the Scottish people do not have the right to hold a referendum to determine their political future, then surely any notion of "union" is over. 

What we will be left with is occupation and subjugation.

Surely any self respecting Scottish unionists would oppose this also.

1 hour ago, Stinky Bone said:

There is a court case on Thursday to determine if the Scottish people have a right to hold a referendum without westminster permission.

What's this? Haven't heard anything about it.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Is it just me that thinks this court case is a really bad idea? 

Possibly.....but it would stand a much greater chance of success had the full weight of Scotgov had been behind it, employing the best legal minds.

It's almost as though they don't want independence 🤔

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The only possible positive if we lose the case is that it will confirm our colonial status. That might convince a few soft "No's" that we are currently in an undemocratic situation.

If we win, it makes it harder for Westminster to oppose the democratic will of the Scottish electorate.

I'm not currently convinced that it is the best option at this time, considering that a Holyrood election is imminent. It might have been better to have delayed for 6 months or so.

1 hour ago, git-intae-thum said:

Possibly.....but it would stand a much greater chance of success had the full weight of Scotgov had been behind it, employing the best legal minds.

One of the more batshit crazy notions in Scottish politics right now - and that's a tough competition - is the idea that the present Scottish Government don't want independence.

I personally think its nuts.

If they have not prepared well - an absolutely watertight case - they will lose.

This looks like the back of an envelope mewlings of bunch of deluded arseholes.

It just gives ammo to the Unionists.

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

The only possible positive if we lose the case is that it will confirm our colonial status.

This phrase is doing the rounds on various 'social media' places.

Disappointed to see it on P&B - but seeing as it's you it doesn't come as a surprise.

To edit:.  I was listening to 'open all mics' earlier and the correspondent at Palmerston today talked about 'an equaliser for The Lichties' but pronounced it as 'Lishties'..  That is how ignorant Sturgeon's Scotland has become.

Edited by The_Kincardine

4 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

To edit:.  I was listening to 'open all mics' earlier and the correspondent at Palmerston today talked about 'an equaliser for The Lichties' but pronounced it as 'Lishties'..  That is how ignorant Sturgeon's Scotland has become.

Do we know that this "correspondent" is a supporter of "Sturgeon's Scotland"...?

"Lishties"...... That's almost as ignorant as calling Scots people Scotch!

8 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

It's a terrible idea that fails to appreciate that legal ambiguity on this issue can create a space to work in, or at the very least losing the case is worse than not having fought it at all.

8 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

So it's possibly a really bad idea that you would like the government to throw resources at 6 months before a very important election? And somehow it's the SG that people think don't want independence

So, the option of a non s30 referendum... there are three outcomes for the People Action

1) Fight the case and win

2) Don't fight the case

3) Fight the case and lose.

The Scottish government clearly doesn't favour such a course of action but it remains an option they could utilise. That is true whether the case is fought and won, or not fought at all. It'd be up to the UK government to challenge the result legally after the fact which would clearly be linked to the political issues if it returned a solid Yes vote on the back of a legitimate level of turnout. It would look like the UK using mealy mouthed legal tactics to overturn a legitimate decision by the Scottish people. They wouldn't be able able to effectively fight it.

So, really there doesn't on the face of it, seem to be much advantage of winning the case over not fighting it at all.

Whereas losing it (assuming the court decides the case has Standing  it might not get that far), removes the option entirely and ironically actually forces the SNP further down the narrow route of an S30.

Edited by renton

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Do we know that this "correspondent" is a supporter of "Sturgeon's Scotland"...?

"Lishties"...... That's almost as ignorant as calling Scots people Scotch!

45 minutes ago, sophia said:

Derek Ferguson reported from Palmerston and oh, the perils of a youth misspent

Ha - Derek Ferguson, who was "educated" in Scotland in the 70s and early 80s under Westminster Labour and Tory Governments, mispronounces something in 2021 and it is clear evidence of the SNP failing Scotland. I think that on a nut shell captures the strength of this particular poster's arguments.