When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In a Good Morning Scotland interview Campbell said sections of the pro-independence support were uncomfortable with the “radical policies” of the Scottish Greens, as well as RISE and the SSP, saying: “I think they’d be prepared to vote for a pro-independence party that was a little more mainstream and one that they’ve known for years.”

Stuart Campbell inventing the SNP on live radio apparently

3 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Indeed, it is a case where both sides would try and lead precedent from domestic law, international law and argue over wording of historic treaties.

Essentially it would come down to sovereignty.

No doubting appeals would lead it eventually to the  UK supreme court**. As far as Scotland is concerned, good luck on getting them to make the right decision.

*"the recent coming into existence of which of course is a direct breach of the treaty of union which guaranteed the independence and sanctity of Scots law**

It would be much less exotic than that, it would come down to whether Schedule 5 of the Scotland Act reserved it or not - whether it is ultra vires. The constitution is reserved, but a consultation on it? The best precedent is probably the Strathclyde Regional Council referendum on water privatisation. The Conservative government went to court to argue that the council didn't have the power to do it, but the court held that, while they weren't in charge of it, they could consult their residents about it. The Supreme Court has given the Scottish Parliament wide latitude on cases where legislation touches on reserved areas, but this would be unique.

FWIW the Supreme Court didn't change anything in respect of the position of Scots Law - appeals on civil cases have been going to the House of Lords since Roseberry v Inglis in 1708.

11 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I just find Wings so utterly depressing whenever I venture there now (very rarely indeed)

I thought he did a great job in 2014 and prior to the election in 2015.  Since than i noticed more and more articles about his pet subject GRA (think that's right)  Something that perhaps matters to a few people but his obsession was severely off-putting when I really wanted to read more about how we can achieve independence.  I also thought his court case v Kezia Dugdale was petty in the extreme and again a diversion from what he (was) good at.

I sometimes wonder if he is the plant....he is so anti Nicola Sturgeon and anti SNP these days it is beyond belief.  Here we are with 17 polls in favour of YES and what does he do, ramps up the anti-Nicola rhetoric.

He expected to be considered a very wise and important man after the referendum campaign, but the SNP bigwigs realised they had a rampant egotist obsessive on their hands and slowly backed away.

I mind taking pelters from folk on here years ago for pointing out that the only thing Stuart Campbell cares about is the ego of Stuart Campbell. Scottish independence is only important to him if he's seen to have played a major role in it.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Mmm not convinced. The "Scottish MP" cited is presumably Douglas Ross and also presumably the leaker? 

I assume it’s been leaked to try and link “Vaccines/ending the COVID pandemic” with “Tories” in people’s minds, what with May coming up. I suppose they’ve noticed that, rightly or wrongly, Sturgeon has a lot of credit for her handling of the pandemic so they’re trying to say “actually it was us that sorted it really!”

On 04/01/2021 at 13:18, speckled tangerine said:

Stuart Campbell is yesterday's hero. That guy is a complete contradiction these days. He's the indy supporting version of George Galloway.

He's no-day's hero. The guy has always been a complete c**t and it's basically been a case of some people knowing it straight away and other finding out as they went along.

Boris Johnson self styled Minister for the Union has yet again revealed his true feelings about the SNP and the 58% of the Scottish people who currently support a second Independence referendum - he hates us.

Johnson: no Covid vaccine in Scotland if it was up to SNP

Prime minister takes aim at Nicola Sturgeon’s party over delivery of vaccines

Johnson: no Covid vaccine in Scotland if it was up to SNP | Politics | The Guardian

Edited by btb

Dr Amanda Sloat is Bidens nominee to be senior European affairs advisor on the NSC.

This is the same Amanda Sloat who gained her doctorate at Edinburgh University, was  a special advisor at the Scottish parliament and was the author of:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotland-Europe-Study-Multi-Level-Governance/dp/0820456136

I wonder what impact an ardent Europhile who is an expert in Scottish affairs and will now be at the centre of American policy making will have.

Bet Johnson and Gove are regretting slithering so far up Trump's arse now.

On 06/01/2021 at 13:36, MixuFruit said:

Quite why the Tories leak this stuff thinking it's good is beyond me but whatever, Johnson going for the too wee too poor bit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/06/johnson-no-covid-vaccine-in-scotland-if-snp-had-its-way

Yet more trash talk from the self styled "Minister for the Union", I really think his plan is to tough it out whatever happens in May (the elections not the ex-PM).

I think the plan is to tough it out and hope that the lustre will have worn of the idea of Independence by the second half of the decade.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And did a far better job of it

It seems that, very much like making decent cup of tea, storming the capitol is something that Americans are generally just a bit shit at

I doubt Donald would like the comparison given that they also burnt down the White House, if I'm thinking of the same incident.