When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

More than £100billion. I think the starting pot is likely to be about a tenth of that, so a decade of restrained spending is needed to build it up, post independence as per SGC.

If they can do what you say instead that's a much more attractive prospect, but it requires some explicit policy that this is the aim. Not sure if they're there yet, I think because 2014 told them that a working class voter base was insufficient and they are still sounding out people in middle class jobs particularly around finance to see how many they can flip, and that is driving a degree of coyness while they are doing that behind the scenes.

It's an interesting topic, whenever I've tried to find papers on the issue, the whole negotiation settlement is kind of glossed over with references to inheriting debt meaning the cash reserves are developed from scratch. Not my area of expertise and I'm probably havering nonsense but I've never really found the debt inheritance arguments particularly persuasive, it's a good campaigning tactic but there's no real benefit in setting your neighbours house on fire, Osborne was all over the bailout for Ireland (and their banking sectors) instantly.

It's just hard for me to see the UK gov threatening to push a tangled economy into a fiscal crisis that could spill into their territory at the expense of contributions towards servicing debt that is in their name already, servicing hovers around the 5% of UK expenditure. Just set up some sort of mechanism where iScotland can pay into that pro rata with a bit of flex and we're all happy. A lot of the takes in the media are under the impression that the assets are just liquefied to pay all the liabilities up front which is blatantly nonsense.

It would be nice to maybe see the leadership sink their teeth into it but get the impression that they are just quite cautious with what they put out for the reasons you say.

Is anyone really that interested in GERS outside of nerds and weirdo dog food salesmen ?
The Yes side really don't need to get bogged down and get on the defensive about it. The public absolutely do not want detailed explanations of why this part is good and this part isn't, or why this figure needs caveats.

I dont think many people will look in detail at it but it is easy for the no campaign to use the figures to say “scoatland cannae aford to no be part ae the union”. A lot of people will see that and take it as gospel

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Same.  An independent Scotland as a member of the EU using the Euro as our currency would be the ultimate GIRFUY to the racist, insular Tories.

I don't have a huge problem with the Euro but Scotland needs its own currency realistically as quickly as possible post indy.  Read Richard Murphy on this.  

Utter minter for the unionist parties that when their main line of attack has been the SNP being too focussed on independence to do 'the day job', a majority now favour independence and the SNP are also significantly more trusted to govern competently than Labour or the Tories.

Spoiler

Carrick on Make a GIF

New Poll

Independence :

Yes 56% No 44%.

Holyrood (Constituency Vote) :

SNP 54%

Tory 22%

Labour 15%

Lib Dems 6%

Greens 1%

Others 2%

List vote :

SNP 45%

Tory 21%

Labour 16%

Greens 7%

Libs 6%

Edited by Kejan

Why the fuck are people in Scotland voting Tory?  It should be the SNP miles ahead, then going by Scottish election history next should be Labour, with the Tories a very distant 3rd.

Why the fuck are people in Scotland voting Tory?  It should be the SNP miles ahead, then going by Scottish election history next should be Labour, with the Tories a very distant 3rd.
Because lots of people are very, very opposed to the idea of an independent Scotland.

The prospect worries them, and the Conservative party have jumped at the chance to represent those concerns.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Because lots of people are very, very opposed to the idea of an independent Scotland.

The prospect worries them, and the Conservative party have jumped at the chance to represent those concerns.

Utter cowards most of them.  

15 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Don't knows really getting thin on the ground these days huh

To a certain degree aye but if you look at the latest polling 25% who have a leaning towards Yes are saying they don't hold a definitive view on the matter. Yes side have a duty to appeal to these people (and more) as much as possible now. Hopefully we don't Hibs it, which some on 'our' side are more than capable of doing.

The Tories actually offer something to a thankfully minority but still substantial section of the population. Labour’s programme (minus the unionism) has been cannibalised by the SNP and the Greens are far more convincing as leftists given they don’t regularly have bitter public squabbles over whether they should support the things they are typically and historically known for.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Same.  An independent Scotland as a member of the EU using the Euro as our currency would be the ultimate GIRFUY to the racist, insular Tories.

Going to the Euro wouldn't bother me at all.  My first preference in an ideal world would be a new currency and probably pegging it to the pound or the Euro in the beginning.  The currency issue in 2014 was a mess - It wasn't a particularly bad idea but it was really poorly explained and anyone undecided with any doubts probably just thought "why bother?"

I can't understand though why the Euro is so taboo for an independent Scotland.  I've never had anyone from a Eurozone country tell me they don't like it - I've even had some tell me it's the best thing they ever did!

14 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Totally agree.

Decent article here :

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/13/scotland-new-currency-independence-sterling-euro

Everything derives from My team: Rangers.  You can always work back to it.   

Why are you calling her Jimmy Krankie ?   Fucking hate the wee boot.   

Why do you hate her?   Coz she stands against everything that I believe in.  

What's that?   The Queen, Marching with the band, splitting the union.  We fought in the war together etc.  

Ah, so you're pro-monarch, British nationalist that supports an organisation that supports protestantism and celebrates 1690.  

CgkzR6lWsAAKRcm.jpg&key=26377f6d81a84033cce48b0a82acdc869d45bd350a208f29b593ca2ca201f607

Guy I went to school with (hated the c**t), anyway has as his Facebook profile a picture of him and his very young daughter on an orange walk. You know when she grows up she will hate him too. Utter c**t of a man

On 02/12/2020 at 11:29, Aufc said:

I dont think many people will look in detail at it but it is easy for the no campaign to use the figures to say “scoatland cannae aford to no be part ae the union”. A lot of people will see that and take it as gospel

On a thread of daft posts and even dafter posters yours is about the worst yet - and that takes some doing.  And you from Airdrie, too.

The true truth behind the GERS figures is that Jockland is being featherbedded to the tune of 4,000 GBP per taxpayer per annum and, of course, this is entirety sustainable post-independence just as long as you daft wee tartan gonks are willing to dig deep into your wallets.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

On a thread of daft posts and even dafter posters yours is about the worst yet - and that takes some doing.  And you from Airdrie, too.

The true truth behind the GERS figures is that Jockland is being featherbedded to the tune of 4,000 GBP per taxpayer per annum and, of course, this is entirety sustainable post-independence just as long as you daft wee tartan gonks are willing to dig deep into your wallets.

In the context of this thread, you are an embarrassing troll. Do yourself a favour and just don't look at it ffs.