When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

One of the problems with education in Scotland is, Jordanhill aside, the the lack of excellence.  Even good schools - and we could have sent our weans to either Banchory or Cults - aren't that great.

The best state schools in England pish all over the best state schools in Scotland.

Plus schools who prioritise rugby are always so much better in every respect.

If your kids had anything about them, it wouldn't really matter tbf.

11 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

One of the problems with education in Scotland is, Jordanhill aside, the the lack of excellence.  Even good schools - and we could have sent our weans to either Banchory or Cults - aren't that great.

The best state schools in England pish all over the best state schools in Scotland.

Can you, without Googling, even name a state school in England that is, measurably and provably, better than the three Scottish schools you’ve just named?

2 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Can you, without Googling, even name a state school in England that is, measurably and provably, better than the three Scottish schools you’ve just named?

Easily.  Any of the Bucks grammar schools.

Edited by The_Kincardine

It is scary. And complicated by covid. 
From the SGC preferred opton of informal sterlingisation, the immediate future of an independent Scotland would be issuing a tonne of bonds to cover its debt share for which any Scottish central bank cannot be guarantor, therefore attracting a premium on these making it harder to meet interest payments. All while either capping growth in day to day spending or cutting it.
I am not saying this can't or shouldn't be done but it's dishonest to wave it away. There's a real possibility some of the big sources of tax or even direct income will be limited in the early years by having to do asset for debt swaps in O&G, renewables. 
Whose jobs do you cut, whose lives do you disrupt to manage this? 

It wouldn’t be so much an immediate problem as a slow burning ongoing problem. Our share of UK debt would have to be refinanced as UK bonds matured and fell due.

I'm reeling from the revelation that when you select a subsection of the population based on exam results and then compare that subsection's exam results to the general population, their exam results are better.

It's out of the box thinking like this that makes me think we need to add stupidity to the Scottish educational monoculture.

39 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It wouldn’t be so much an immediate problem as a slow burning ongoing problem. Our share of UK debt would have to be refinanced as UK bonds matured and fell due.

And the anticipation that those bonds would need to be refinanced at a higher rate of interest would also push up borrowing costs on any new debts.

Having taught in both England and Scotland I will say this is utter bullshit.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Interestingly I found the following headline from the Bucks Herald dated Aug 2020;

Disadvantaged secondary school pupils in Buckinghamshire are more than a year behind their better-off peers, new research reveals.

You just have to listen to any Nicola speech, and compare with any Boris speech, and then ask yourself who comes across as better educated.

16 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I used to know a boy from Kirrie who claimed to be related to her. He thought she was a stuck up c**t. Hard to verify as he was frequently off his fucking tits. Sound lad though. 

Where is Kirrie? The family moved to Symington, but there are also relatives in Ardrossan. My mum was her cousin and AFAIK she was brought up in Glasgow but was at my mums gran's and family's house in Motherwell and subsequently Wishaw a lot. Do you remember what his first name is? 

There was a big family fall out when I was about 10 so I don't know much about it. That side weren't talking to our side for years, up till my mum died last year. 

Only effect it had on my life was we got to see wheel of Fortune filmed once.