When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Worth pointing out, not that the blinkered SNP supporters would take notice.
The Wood Group are a worldwide organisation, operating in many different areas of employment.
They have helped local people in many countries gain trades and valuable training.
That includes training local people in parts of Africa achieve what could only have dreamed about in the past.

Worth pointing out too that for their numbers, Scots have historically been the most successful émigrés of the last four centuries across a huge range of global activities, but don't take my word for it, check out Winston Churchill's quote.
Funny then that we signally fail to make a mark in oor ain midden, I wonder just why that is - I guess we're just too poor and too stupid, eh ?

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Worth pointing out too that for their numbers, Scots have historically been the most successful émigrés of the last four centuries across a huge range of global activities, but don't take my word for it, check out Winston Churchill's quote.
Funny then that we signally fail to make a mark in oor ain midden, I wonder just why that is - I guess we're just too poor and too stupid, eh ?

In all fairness this Merkincher character is clearly as thick as f**k. 

39 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

In all fairness this Merkincher character is clearly as thick as f**k. 

Quality!

Give yourself a wee green dot!

Thick, or just someone that you fail to agree with?

Good to see your command of the English 🇬🇧 language is as crude as ever.

Can’t form sentence without swears.

20 hours ago, pandarilla said:
20 hours ago, welshbairn said:
It's impossible to be much clearer without good faith from Westminster and the Treasury. They want to paint as bad a picture as possible so promise zero cooperation for a smooth transfer, when in reality they'd be desperate for as gentle a separation as possible, including a short to medium term currency share. If the SNP give an honest evaluation of what's likely to happen, London will lie through their teeth again, as they did in 2014, and say there will be zero cooperation and they'll block everything, hoping that will frighten enough people into voting no.

Should we not be establishing our own bank and our own currency?

We had Scottish independent banks not so long ago, B.O.S, RBS and Clydesdale, all printing their own notes tied into the pound sterling.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

I used to work for them. I fucking hate Wood Group. The place I worked for was a decent and well respected business.

After much fucking over by Wood Group it was a shit place to work and the respect and reputation has been tarnished by association the subsuming by WG or Wood as it's now known.

The boy is a prize bellend who got lucky. Growth by acquisition company who have market share simply by buying up all the rivals.

Ian Wood is repeatedly quoted as an oil industry expert by the Scottish Media, there is absolutely no doubt he has done well by his company growing it from a few trawlers to where he is now, but it is important to know that the Wood Group is an Oil Service Company and not an Oil producer or Drilling Company, one division eg services fire monitoring equipment.

Wood Group as far as the Majors are concerned is bracketed alongside the likes of Bristow Aviation AND Subsea 7 for instance and are service/support providers to the likes of BP, Shell, Total, Chevron etc.

It is noticeable that when a major oil industry development or incident occurs in The North Sea the print and TV media trot out quotes from Ian Wood and very rarely do you hear anything from the top guys in the major oil companies I mentioned.  

It is significant and disquieting though that Wood Group is the only successful Scottish Company in the Oil Industry, so many great opportunities were squandered in those heady early days.

26 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Ian Wood is repeatedly quoted as an oil industry expert by the Scottish Media, there is absolutely no doubt he has done well by his company growing it from a few trawlers to where he is now, but it is important to know that the Wood Group is an Oil Service Company and not an Oil producer or Drilling Company, one division eg services fire monitoring equipment.

Wood Group as far as the Majors are concerned is bracketed alongside the likes of Bristow Aviation AND Subsea 7 for instance and are service/support providers to the likes of BP, Shell, Total, Chevron etc.

It is noticeable that when a major oil industry development or incident occurs in The North Sea the print and TV media trot out quotes from Ian Wood and very rarely do you hear anything from the top guys in the major oil companies I mentioned.  

It is significant and disquieting though that Wood Group is the only successful Scottish Company in the Oil Industry, so many great opportunities were squandered in those heady early days.

I'm guessing that the Wood Group's largess in training up Africans as mentioned above was balanced by wholesale looting of Angola's oil wealth. 

36 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Excellent post.

Well constructed !

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm guessing that the Wood Group's largess in training up Africans as mentioned above was balanced by wholesale looting of Angola's oil wealth. 

One has to think clearly before randomly picking up on an issue.

This is where Fake News stems from.

Question! Do Wood Group operate in Angola?

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That post could've been written in 1909 by like Joseph Chamberlain 

2 minutes ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Yes.

https://www.offshore-energy.biz/wood-group-launches-joint-venture-in-angola/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-15961195

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

They operate just about anywhere you get oil. 

Luckily I never had to go there.

11 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That post could've been written in 1909 by like Joseph Chamberlain 

Not sure how to take that, he could barely stand up by then. 

Joseph_Chamberlain_Vanity_Fair_1908-01-2

I see from Wiki that he suggested a safe haven for Jews in part of Kenya during the Russian pogroms, which didn't go down well. The Kenyans weren't consulted afaik, even the Russian Jews agreed with the British settlers that it was an awful idea. Who knows what misery might have been prevented if it had worked though.

7 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I'll take your word for it. It's not as bad as Nigeria but it's still on my list of no thanks if I'm offered a job.

Would you be working offshore though? I'm guessing you wouldn't be seeing much of the country anyway. Angola is very scenic, and Luanda a very liveable capital. My only experience of Nigeria is Abuja, which is a bit of a pit. But Lagos is meant to be buzzing, very exciting place to live. 

We should move this to the Travel thread. My apologies to the learned denizens of the Indyref2 thread. 

Spoiler

P.S. I voted yes, and will do so again. Merkincher is a proper jobby. 

1 minute ago, The Other Foot said:

Would you be working offshore though? I'm guessing you wouldn't be seeing much of the country anyway. Angola is very scenic, and Luanda a very liveable capital. My only experience of Nigeria is Abuja, which is a bit of a pit. But Lagos is meant to be buzzing, very exciting place to live. 

We should move this to the Travel thread. My apologies to the learned denizens of the Indyref2 thread. 

Hide contents

P.S. I voted yes, and will do so again. Merkincher is a proper jobby. 

I'm office based but know a few boys who have there on and offshore. Like I say, they were more scathing about Nigeria but none too complimentary about Angola except to say the people were really friendly. I'm guessing they never saw much of the country except the office and the pub. 

Had a mate who was kidnapped in Nigeria. He doesn't want to go back.