When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm all for it. In an independent Scotland it would be great to see the northern Isles have more devolved powers.

I suspect though that the council there is run by LibDem/Unionist fuckwits who hate the SNP and are more interested in making a ridiculous statement which will get splashed on the front page of BritNat rags. 

I don't think you understand. This is political and financial self-determination from Scotland and the UK.

It's not a case of the Northern Isles having "more devolved powers", it's a case of Shetland becoming an independent country. The resolution was even supported by the SNP councillor.

Now there's a long way to go between now and then, and in all likelihood it's used for leverage for more powers from Holyrood. But it's the first (of many to come, I suspect) example of a Highlands and Islands community pushing for independence.

Edited by G51

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

thats a running joke - last heard Frankie Boyle reference it. 

It was actually Chic Murrays and a favourite of mine, along wi a drunk Chic staggering and then falling onto his back in the afternoon with a woman standing over him shouting he was a disgrace for being drunk and Chic answered 'I'm not drunk woman, I'm trying to break a bar of chocolate in my back pocket'

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, G51 said:

I don't think you understand. This is political and financial self-determination from Scotland and the UK.

It's not a case of the Northern Isles having "more devolved powers", it's a case of Shetland becoming an independent country. The resolution was even supported by the SNP councillor.

Now there's a long way to go between now and then, and in all likelihood it's used for leverage for more powers from Holyrood. But it's the first (of many to come, I suspect) example of a Highlands and Islands community pushing for independence.

I think I do understand it. As I pointed out in my last sentence, while more powers for the islands is a good, and even necessary...and hence the reason why the SNP councillor supports it... this smacks of nothing more than a daft political stunt by a group of LibDems who have previous for this whenever the SNP are growing more popular.

Anyone who takes this seriously is absolutely nuts. There is absolutely no real support in the islands for 'independence'. 

23 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

It was actually Chic Murrays and a favourite of mine, along wi a drunk Chic staggering and then falling onto his back in the afternoon with a woman standing over him shouting he was a disgrace for being drunk and Chic answered 'I'm not drunk woman, I'm trying to break a bar of chocolate in my back pocket'

ok. I misunderstood - it appeared that you tried to pass it off as something that happened to you/was said to you by a beggar.

14 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think I do understand it. As I pointed out in my last sentence, while more powers for the islands is a good, and even necessary...and hence the reason why the SNP councillor supports it... this smacks of nothing more than a daft political stunt by a group of LibDems who have previous for this whenever the SNP are growing more popular.

Anyone who takes this seriously is absolutely nuts. There is absolutely no real support in the islands for 'independence'. 

there are zero lib dem councillors in the shetland islands council. there are 22 members, 21 independents and 1 snp.

political self-determination was included in three councillors manifestos in 2017.

like i said, independence from scotland and the uk is unlikely, and what likely ends up happening is some form of new islands act (one that actually means something this time). but it might just be the start of a resource-rich region realising it doesn't need to transfer control of those resources to the central belt.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

As others have said if it's what is generally wanted then I'm all for it. But if it does prove to be used for leverage, it's not exactly a community pushing for independence is it? Fair play to the treeless folk either way

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Alan Partridge Shrug GIFs | Tenor

22 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Because they'd be yet another country that would qualify for something before Scotland did again. 

Aye, but it’ll be a great laugh when Rangers/Hearts/whoever get dumped out the Europa League by FC Lerwick.

All for it, assuming the majority of Shetland want it.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Shetland gets a proportion of oil money that goes through Sullom Voe doesn't it? The roads are all absolutely pot hole free because they have dough to spend. I'm all for them getting more of whatever they want, including total independence tbh. Why not?

So far almost £2 billion which has been well spent by Shetland Council throughout the islands, and that will continue well after the east Shetland basin is completely depleted as their are massive reserves to the west of Shetland, BP'S Claire field for example.

It's a pity that Scotland didn't follow the example set by Shetland, possibly if they had we might be pot hole free also??

40 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, but it’ll be a great laugh when Rangers/Hearts/whoever get dumped out the Europa League by FC Lerwick.

All for it, assuming the majority of Shetland want it.

To be fair to Lerwick Spurs, they did get to the final of the Highland Amateur Cup in 2018, but were beaten by the Stabs.

So I'm sure they could easily take Motherwell to extra time in the first round of the Europa Conference League qualifying

13 minutes ago, yoda said:

There's a lot of terrible - and I mean genuinely awful and poorly informed - takes in this sub-forum but the prediction of a Caithness Autonomous Region might be the high point of terrible takes warnock.png

Who mentioned Caithness in this?

There's a lot of terrible - and I mean genuinely awful and poorly informed - takes in this sub-forum but the prediction of a Caithness Autonomous Region might be the high point of terrible takes warnock.png&key=637c3c427d6e6c28bc2b870623c54da09f6bb8f4fb21006467f6e87d9e5dbe07

We could have a truly Federal Scotland with other regional capitals at the historically ones, Dunfermline, Dumbarton, Perth , Etc.
The Kingdom of Fife could fully come into existence again with Sammy the Tammy the new monarch. [emoji6]

It always amuses me that Britnats push the independent Shetland line - there is little real evidence that there is any appetite for such a move.

There has not been a candidate from the Orkney & Shetland Movement since 1987 - they polled 13%.

Last poll had support for Orkney & Shetland independence, if Scotland were independent, at 8%.

You can genuinely smell the fear from these fuckers.

2 hours ago, yoda said:

There's a lot of terrible - and I mean genuinely awful and poorly informed - takes in this sub-forum but the prediction of a Caithness Autonomous Region might be the high point of terrible takes warnock.png

And this beauty takes the misinformed geographical prize.

Who moved Shetland to Caithness.

Dearie me.

51 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It always amuses me that Britnats push the independent Shetland line - there is little real evidence that there is any appetite for such a move.

There has not been a candidate from the Orkney & Shetland Movement since 1987 - they polled 13%.

Last poll had support for Orkney & Shetland independence, if Scotland were independent, at 8%.

You can genuinely smell the fear from these fuckers.

Your figures are correct but wasn't there some sort of SNP government declaration a few years back on transfer of power to Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles.

And I may be wrong here but I thought there was some calls for Western Isles devolution, correct me on that one if I've got that wrong.

Just for clarification, the Western Isles are not in Caithness.