When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Lots of Brits above raging about something.  No one knows what.  They just like being angry.

Still, the currency debate has been solved  by our big pals from West Linton:

Schrodingers currency.

We'd either be forced to use the euro.

Or alternatively, not allowed to use the euro. 

For the record I'd put Glen Michael on the new Scottish euro coins. Scottish legend- born in Devon. Palladin on the 2 euro.

11 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

Schrodingers currency.

We'd either be forced to use the euro.

Or alternatively, not allowed to use the euro. 

For the record I'd put Glen Michael on the new Scottish euro coins. Scottish legend- born in Devon. Palladin on the 2 euro.

If we are going for obscure Central Belt 70s tv personalities I'd like to see Bryce Curdy given his place.

Maybe on the charger if you need to stash your currency while incarcerated, Papillon style.

If the thought  doesn't make your eyes water, ask an old guy.

Because it oftens comes from the failure to realise that Britain and the UK are two different things.  Scotland will be British post-independence, in the same way Norway and Sweden are both independent and are both Scandinavian.  
That is the biggest load of piss stained w**k I've read. By that logic Ireland is British. It may be geographically part of the British Isles but it's certainly not British.

52 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

West Linton is a lovely wee village with a decent golf course.

Good to see there's a strong feeling for self determination and respect for parliamentary democracy there.

Exceptional.  One we missed from last night although ruined a little by closing par 3's.  

Edited by Beth Paige-Black

8 hours ago, virginton said:

A truly abysmal analogy given that 'Scandinavian' has had literally zero connection with a unitary state or assimilation project in history. Tell you what though, pop over to Dublin or Cork while you're at it and foot-stompingly insist that they're British as well based on your cretinous attachment to geographical terms. I'm sure that'll work out well for you.

Just to be a pedant.

Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark , Iceland and Greenland were unified under the Kelmar Union for about 200 odd years.

After that broke up Norway remained in a union with Denmark for another 400 years or so.

When that broke up it spent about 100 years in Union with Sweden. 

In the middle of the 17th century, Sweden was the third largest country in Europe behind Russia and Spain, with its territory including modern day Finland, parts of the modern day Baltic states, Russia , Poland and Germany. 

‘ Pan Scandinavism’ was particularly popular in the 19th century, especially after the Unification of Germany , popular figures such as Hans Christian Anderson were adherents. 

7 hours ago, Beth Paige-Black said:

Exceptional.  One we missed from last night although ruined a little by closing par 3's.  

Another Jimmy Braid masterpiece PB. The 2 par 3's to finish are a bit jarring. The last is as tough a finishing hole as you'll see.

Technically in the Borders, which is why it wasn't on the list.

This is a point that always needs reaffirmed.  "Ahm nae British ahm Scottish" must be the most cringeworthy phrase in the English language.

People who say that are clearly referring to their nationality and will be fully aware that geographically they’re still British. The Irish Republic are Irish citizens but still geographically British but you wouldn’t refer to someone from Cork as British (well not if you have an affinity for your kneecaps). Flip it round to the Falkland Islands who are not geographically British but are British citizens who you would refer to as British.

People who say that are clearly referring to their nationality and will be fully aware that geographically they’re still British. The Irish Republic are Irish citizens but still geographically British but you wouldn’t refer to someone from Cork as British (well not if you have an affinity for your kneecaps). Flip it round to the Falkland Islands who are not geographically British but are British citizens who you would refer to as British.
Even although geographically Ireland is in the British Isles, Irish people would rarely use this reference.
Rest of point is spot on, it would be like a Spanish person who hails from Lanzarote calling himself African...
Tbh, (Highland,can't remember rest of his name) has the intellect of a chewed straw.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

10 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Fair point.  On a similar point, I have wondered in the past if some of the 'Scottish not British' types are actually detrimental to the cause in some ways.  One area that Yes doesn't seem to get as much as traction is with the old people, many of whom I'd imagine see their description of Scottish and/or British, see the latter as mutually exclusive with being a citizen of the UK.  Perhaps convincing some that they can be and feel both Scottish and British within an independent Scotland could convince more to be at least be open to switching to Yes.

On the subject of feeling Scottish and British, those born in Scotland have a passport covering the United Kingdom. In residency terms, they should - like those from Northern Ireland - be entitled to hold dual nationality. The only thing that would prevent that would be the UK government removing their current nationality status.

I'll not be applying for 2 passports but plenty will if the option is made available. I've no issue with that. Independence for me is about electing your own government, running your own economy and owning your decisions. 

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Fair point.  On a similar point, I have wondered in the past if some of the 'Scottish not British' types are actually detrimental to the cause in some ways.  One area that Yes doesn't seem to get as much as traction is with the old people, many of whom I'd imagine see their description of Scottish and/or British, see the latter as mutually exclusive with being a citizen of the UK.  Perhaps convincing some that they can be and feel both Scottish and British within an independent Scotland could convince more to be at least be open to switching to Yes.

Their is no doubt that many Scots who were active in WW2 and served/fought alongside english compatriots viewed themselves as British first and Scottish secondly, however that generation is fast disappearing and our young Scots these days do not possess that type of affinity and put their country of birth first.

Where that Britishness does still exist is in areas of the military in which Scots are serving given that members of the royal family are designated as heads of all aspects of the forces.

I always find the nonsense displayed by royalty amusing with the likes of prince charles strutting about in a Field Marshall/Admiral/Marshall of the RAF uniform weighed down with medals of every description but never has he took part in any conflict in his lifetime. How fuckin anachronistic is that ? In our Independent Scotland there will be none of that shite.

17 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Their is no doubt that many Scots who were active in WW2 and served/fought alongside english compatriots viewed themselves as British first and Scottish secondly,

Tiny number of people who actually fought alive now. I think it's more the immediate  post-war generation, soaked in a positive idea of Britishness (uncritical awareness of Empire, war victory narrative, Britain as a global power), plus being part of a monoculture – eg a new, shared health service, the BBC as ubiquitous voice across the country, nationalised rail, postal services, telephone and energy), little immigration, an economy that was trusted. All that's gone now, with most assets sold off abroad, which exacerbates declining pride in the UK. There's little to cling to, other than nostalgia.

That said, plenty of Scots of that generation would consider themselves Scots first, British second, but support the union for reasons above and others. My dad being one of them.

Edited by Mr Heliums

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Where that Britishness does still exist is in areas of the military in which Scots are serving given that members of the royal family are designated as heads of all aspects of the forces.

Most Scottish people I've met in the military voted for independence. Of course most English people are very anti-independence and beleive the 2014 referendum should be adhered too. 

There have been some Royals that have served, the DoE for example served in WW2 and I'm sure he was near Japan when the deceleration of surrender was signed, Harry and William both done time with Harry being a popular guy. 

On the other hand there's a Prince that binned off his training but still struts around in regalia. 

Edited by Grant228

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Most I've met in the military voted for independence. 

I’ve met a mix of views in the military, from die-hard brainwashed types who moan about how awful their lives are whilst sharing photos of Lizzie Windsor and auld Phil, as though they’re family friends, to normal sarcastic types who are in it for the money.

The former are probably overestimated by armchair military fetishists who have never actually been part of it but nevertheless seem to like draping themselves and their online profiles in military/veteran/help our heroes style shite. 

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

I’ve met a mix of views in the military, from die-hard brainwashed types who moan about how awful their lives are whilst sharing photos of Lizzie Windsor and auld Phil, as though they’re family friends, to normal sarcastic types who are in it for the money.

The former are probably overestimated by armchair military fetishists who have never actually been part of it but nevertheless seem to like draping themselves and their online profiles in military/veteran/help our heroes style shite. 

There's two things people in the military hate, the way things are and change, never happy unless they're moaning.