When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Unless we take a saw to the border and drift off to a Scandinavian haven, then we'll always be British. 

Would that be the same Scandinavia that consists of the Independent country’s of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Each one fiercely independent but also happy to be classified as Scandinavian.
Even after Indy, inhabitants of these islands will still be British, just not politically.

47 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Even after Indy, inhabitants of these islands will still be British, just not politically.

This is a point that always needs reaffirmed.  "Ahm nae British ahm Scottish" must be the most cringeworthy phrase in the English language.

18 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
42 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:
This is a point that always needs reaffirmed.  "Ahm nae British ahm Scottish" must be the most cringeworthy phrase in the English language.

Close but no cigar. The correct answer is "I'm proud Scot, but...."

Closely followed but “I’m proud to be British and Scottish”. Usually barked in a stream of spittle by a fat, balding, red-faced, middle-aged joke. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

People can be whatever they want, champ.

Indeed they can be...but they can't be one without the other, champ.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Why?

Because it oftens comes from the failure to realise that Britain and the UK are two different things.  Scotland will be British post-independence, in the same way Norway and Sweden are both independent and are both Scandinavian.  

12 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Because it oftens comes from the failure to realise that Britain and the UK are two different things.  Scotland will be British post-independence, in the same way Norway and Sweden are both independent and are both Scandinavian.  

A truly abysmal analogy given that 'Scandinavian' has had literally zero connection with a unitary state or assimilation project in history. Tell you what though, pop over to Dublin or Cork while you're at it and foot-stompingly insist that they're British as well based on your cretinous attachment to geographical terms. I'm sure that'll work out well for you.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

It's just shorthand. The box on the forms says 'British' not 'Citizen of the United Kingdom' or whatever. I don't see what's cringeworthy about saying you don't identify with this.

While technically correct it's part of the British Isles much like Ireland or the Isle of Man, it doesn't really do anything but wind folk up by pointing this out in a way that comes across like it's intended to deny their heartfelt identity.

For what it's worth, on both the old EU and now the new UK passport my nationality is stated as British Citizen.

Hopefully in the not too distant future we will see our nationality stated as Scottish Citizen.

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

It's just shorthand. The box on the forms says 'British' not 'Citizen of the United Kingdom' or whatever. I don't see what's cringeworthy about saying you don't identify with this.

While technically correct it's part of the British Isles much like Ireland or the Isle of Man, it doesn't really do anything but wind folk up by pointing this out in a way that comes across like it's intended to deny their heartfelt identity.

Fair point.  On a similar point, I have wondered in the past if some of the 'Scottish not British' types are actually detrimental to the cause in some ways.  One area that Yes doesn't seem to get as much as traction is with the old people, many of whom I'd imagine see their description of Scottish and/or British, see the latter as mutually exclusive with being a citizen of the UK.  Perhaps convincing some that they can be and feel both Scottish and British within an independent Scotland could convince more to be at least be open to switching to Yes.

29 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

For what it's worth, on both the old EU and now the new UK passport my nationality is stated as British Citizen.

Hopefully in the not too distant future we will see our nationality stated as Scottish Citizen.

There will literally be bams screaming at the Passport Office staff when they run out of the old stock and start sending those out.

Also look for outraged Facebook posts about proud Brits getting knocked back at the airport because they scrawled BRITTISH over the 'Scottish' part. Fucking Natzis.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

A truly abysmal analogy given that 'Scandinavian' has had literally zero connection with a unitary state or assimilation project in history. Tell you what though, pop over to Dublin or Cork while you're at it and foot-stompingly insist that they're British as well based on your cretinous attachment to geographical terms. I'm sure that'll work out well for you.

Excellent point.     I've nominated you alongside @Barry Ferguson's Hat as my nominees for poster of the day Mon 31st.   

Result by PM as per.   

BRITISH!

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/apply-for-irish-passport-if-you-can-advises-dup-mp-ian-paisley-34835231.html

(Except if it means they could f**k a holiday to Benidorm. Or wait in a queue in an airport. Or delay that first shite pint of Carling in a horrible "Rangers" themed bar)