When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like Humza, but I don't see him as future leadership material. He's always in the spin rooms and has a bit of a 'look at me' about him. Definitely big part to play in party but not leader.

Who is leadership material

20 minutes ago, jakedee said:

I think Kate Forbes has the potential, but that's a few years away yet.

I wouldn't count on Kate Forbes.

By the time she's ready for the big job, there will be a Highlands and Islands for Independence party advocating independence from rScotland for H&I. She'll be in that.

Based on?
Based on the way she handled being thrown in at the deep end re the finance job.
The way she has handled it since.
Her ability to trounce the opposition on anything they try to trip her up on.
And despite the attempts to uncover any, she appears to have no Skeletons hiding in the closet.

3 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Based on the way she handled being thrown in at the deep end re the finance job.
The way she has handled it since.
Her ability to trounce the opposition on anything they try to trip her up on.
And despite the attempts to uncover any, she appears to have no Skeletons hiding in the closet.

I know Kate and like her but don't think she'll ever be FM, being Dave Thompson's protege and her LGBT views don't sit well with many.

In terms of her or anyone else's competency it's a tough one, as everyone is naturally compared to the current FM who is head and shoulders above everyone else in the party and they therefore then seem unsuitable for the job in many peoples eyes.

I know Kate and like her but don't think she'll ever be FM, being Dave Thompson's protege and her LGBT views don't sit well with many.

In terms of her or anyone else's competency it's a tough one, as everyone is naturally compared to the current FM who is head and shoulders above everyone else in the party and they therefore then seem unsuitable for the job in many peoples eyes.

Never having met her, I'll take your knowledge of her at face value.

The thing I would say is, it wasn't that long ago the same things were being said about Salmond re a replacement.

Sturgeon will be in the job as long as she wants to, so I don't think it really is an urgent question.

1 minute ago, jakedee said:

Never having met her, I'll take your knowledge of her on face value.
The thing I would say is, it wasn't that long ago the same things were being said about Salmond re a replacement.
Sturgeon will be in the job as long as she wants to, so I don't think it really is an urgent question.

That's true to a certain extent with Salmond I would say but everyone knew that Nicola was in the background to take over and there was a clear succession plan there.

I would probably say the fact that we're talking about Kate Forbes perhaps being FM shows that there is bit of a dearth of talent in the party at Holyrood that I'm not too sure is going to improve any time soon. Some one will step forward when the time is right, they always do, hopefully that isn't for a while yet though as you say. 

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

Sturgeon is head and shoulders above any other politician across these islands and many more. Trying to find someone to match up to that calibre isn't easy and it's unsurprising that they're not easy to find. Forbes does seem to be extremely competent. I've no idea about her views on LGBTQ but she has had a great start. 

1 hour ago, HTG said:

Sturgeon is head and shoulders above any other politician across these islands and many more. Trying to find someone to match up to that calibre isn't easy and it's unsurprising that they're not easy to find. 

This is a damning indictment of modern politics more than anything else. 

A shit football official is going to war to stop Indyref 2.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/uk-politics/2437303/douglas-ross-ill-halt-pro-indy-surge-with-unrelenting-war-on-snp/

Douglas Ross put Nicola Sturgeon on notice as he vowed to wage an “unrelenting” war on the SNP over the next eight months.

The outspoken Scottish Tory leader, who succeeded Jackson Carlaw in the top job earlier this month, vowed to “change the narrative” in Scottish politics and end the “division and arguments” around the constitution.

He also promised not to shy away from “standing up” to Number 10 in the pursuit of his vision for Scotland.

“I’ll be unrelenting,” he said.

“I’m on the side of the vast majority of people in Scotland, less than one in five think the SNP’s obsession with independence should be the priority.

“People want the narrative to be about improving education and getting a better health service and getting the jobs and the economy going.”

fa857896-1b9e-46fe-9435-0cd4a2492e77-620
Nicola Sturgeon.

He added: “It suits Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP to focus on division and arguments with Westminster, what you’ll get from me is someone holding the SNP to account, someone challenging Nicola Sturgeon and her government on the many failures that they’ve made over the last 13 years, while continuing to outline a positive alternative.”

Mr Ross, who raised eyebrows last week after suggesting education secretary Gavin Williamson should “reflect” on his position after the exam fiasco, told us he would operate without fear or favour from Number 10.

“Number 10 understand that I am the leader of the Scottish Conservatives and I will say things that sometimes they disagree with and other times they agree with.

“I’ve said all along, I think people in Scotland expect their two governments to work together, and I’ll work with the UK Government when I think that’s right, but I won’t be afraid to stand up to them.”

POLITICS-PMQs-11494650_35921194-559x372.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Mr Ross, who will be standing in the Highlands and Islands region at next year’s Holyrood election, said Boris Johnson is “fully aware” of how he wants to take the Scottish party forward.

“He (Mr Johnson) wants to work with me, but in no way will my judgement or decisions be in any way affected, wondering or worrying what Number 10 think.”

The Moray MP urged anyone who backed the union to back the Scottish Tories in 2021, he said “only the Scottish Conservatives can win”.

The father-of-one was unfazed by the prospect of a no-deal Brexit in an election year and backed the prime minister to bring home an agreement.

“It was to be expected that in this stage of the negotiations, both sides are saying we can’t see a way through,” he said.

HEALTH-Coronavirus-09475942_35485547-e15 © PA
Boris Johnson and Douglas Ross.

“Any time the prime minister has been told he will fail against EU negotiators, he has succeeded.”

Asked if he would stay on as leader if the vote swung away from the Tories and he failed to make it into the Scottish Parliament, Mr Ross was quick to respond “yes, absolutely”.

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Since when was being a servant of the UK PM, who is at present a servant of a dodgy spiv, “the top job”? 

She seems like a great politician because her supporters don't actually expect anything of her apart from dishing out telts.

The SNP have done far more than the Labour shower of shite that was carted out. Governed before austerity and could still barely build a new school or any sort of meaningful infrastructure. A bunch of non entities.

The Edinburgh trams was their finest achievement since devolution though I'll give them that.