When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Galloway, Gove, McConnell and Alexander here to save the union. Sound like the 4 horseman of the apocalypse. 

Absolutely shiting myself that we are up against that lot during indyref2. 

The only people they'll get on side are the staunchy, Union-at-all-cost types, who are already on side. The 'don't knows' are clearly people that are still unsure about more pressing issues, like currency and trident.  The SNP really need to get their arse in gear and be consistent on the currency issue. Do that, and I believe it should be a comfortable Yes (minimum 55%)

The Yes campaign need to come out fighting in favour of their currency plans, being as currency seems to the hill that UK nationalism has decided to die on. That means not being defensive on it but promoting it as a benefit of independence. The endemic problems of the pound and having no meaningful say in the fiscal autonomy wielded by a dismissive and uncaring Westminster (and a PM who thinks that a pound spent in Scotland is worth less than a pound spent in Croydon) should be something that Yes Scotland are comfortable using as a sword, not a papier-mâché shield.

35 minutes ago, Paco said:

They could say a new currency pegged to the pound but in the event of a Yes vote, the UK Gov beg Scotland to use sterling for ten years to stop it tanking.

I wish someone would ask Neil what London's currency plans are in the event of a Yes vote. It clearly has a bearing on Scotland's decision, and the pound is no more English than it is Scottish.

42 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Just me who'd be quite happy using the Euro? (if a new currency isn't an option)

There's no point in fighting that battle as well right now: they should simply state that an independent Scottish currency would be set up and pegged to the Euro. This removes the 'but London says no' argument of the Britnats while providing the link to an established and widely traded currency that will reassure swithering voters. The Czech crown was pegged to the Euro between 2013 and 2017, it is a realistic policy that can be made or ditched again at any time in the future. 

Edited by vikingTON

41 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Just me who'd be quite happy using the Euro? (if a new currency isn't an option)

I would too.  As it would distance us further from the UK and make us feel even more European and proudly part of the EU.

I would too.  As it would distance us further from the UK and make us feel even more European and proudly part of the EU.
......and also would likely, in the post-Covid world, increase the number of EU visitors to Scotland. That could help offset the legions of Twitter warriors who are issuing self-imposed bans on future travel to here.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Same here, but it is indeed an argument for the future. Having it now is inviting the Little Britons, who are already in full racist and xenophobe mode, to whip up further hatred, division, and fear of the other (look what the filthy Nats are planning to do to the pound in your pocket!).

I fully accept that embracing adopting the Euro puts me in the minority, and that trying to do it at the same time as seeking political independence is asking for trouble. It’s a bit like suggesting that we should become a republic. I am 100% behind that but I realise it’s another argument that is for an independent country to have, not a nation seeking to be an independent country.

My feeling is it needs to be a new currency, at least in the first instance. Pegging ourselves to the pound or euro immediately doesn't make sense to me, although I'm no economist.  No issue with joining the euro in the long-term, once EU membership happens.

That utter pish from Oliver is a hint of what's coming. Painting independence supporters as anti English racists. Johnson was maybe about to be hounded by the press but that's about it. If Oliver wants to cite anyone feeling at risk, he should speak to Anna Soubry.

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

I am 100% behind that but I realise it’s another argument that is for an independent country to have, not a nation seeking to be an independent country.

Those things aren't separate though much as we might want them to be.

9 minutes ago, HTG said:

That utter pish from Oliver is a hint of what's coming. Painting independence supporters as anti English racists. Johnson was maybe about to be hounded by the press but that's about it. If Oliver wants to cite anyone feeling at risk, he should speak to Anna Soubry.

They tried this last time. It will have less sting now that it actually comes from out-and-out racists. BritNats are behind the times. They lost the ability to attempt any moral argument about keeping down borders and opposing xenophobia in 2016. To every faux hand-wring about nationalists supposedly encouraging xenophobia, the only reply should be Johnson’s racist quotes, pictures of Forage, or figures demonstrating the rising tide of racist hate crimes the English Brexit vote coincided with. Support for Brexit Britain is the racist and xenophobic position - not support for Scottish independence.

Taking on the Euro has major benefits but we'd still be heavily trading with the rest of the UK. It's an interesting and exciting question, rather than a scare in my eyes. 

No matter what stance is taken, the staunch types will be against it. 

Id quite happily go for the Euro, i trust the ecb far more than the boe. The euro’s performance over this period has seen it reach almost parity with the pound (which imo is going to tank again in brexit britain).

The signs are very clear that the EU is ready to embrace Indy Scotland. We’d gain so much more from a union that treats us as an equal than one which treats us like a fucking pet. Absolutely cannot wait for Independence day. 

Neil Oliver is a fucking odious cretin of the highest order, an egotistical self important maniac. 

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I wish someone would ask Neil what London's currency plans are in the event of a Yes vote. It clearly has a bearing on Scotland's decision, and the pound is no more English than it is Scottish.

It's the UK's currency. The BoE which issues is it was established prior to the act of union.

It will remain with the successor state.

26 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Id quite happily go for the Euro, i trust the ecb far more than the boe. The euro’s performance over this period has seen it reach almost parity with the pound (which imo is going to tank again in brexit britain).

The signs are very clear that the EU is ready to embrace Indy Scotland. We’d gain so much more from a union that treats us as an equal than one which treats us like a fucking pet. Absolutely cannot wait for Independence day. 

Neil Oliver is a fucking odious cretin of the highest order, an egotistical self important maniac. 

Going with the Euro means being signed up to the Stability and Growth pact which means constant austerity.

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Going with the Euro means being signed up to the Stability and Growth pact which means constant austerity.

What do you think Westminster plans when the virus is over and we're gone from the EU?

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Of course, an independent Scottish currency, pegged to the Euro doesn’t require that.