When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I reckon if she had any sort of following, she would have been elected Westmister party leader.

Genuine question, I’m not a member of the SNP but is there any actual wish from people within the SNP for a Cherry to be leader? Apart from Cherry herself.
She seems to get support from yer da types and people who hate trans people (bit of a Venn diagram, I’m aware), but I wouldn’t have thought she’s actually very popular within the party.

I saw the National recently showed support for Indy at an "all time high" of 54%.

I find this pretty demoralising if I'm honest. Given the highly politicised times we're living in I assumed it would be higher.

Are people becoming less politicised up here or are we just a bit fatigued with covid/Trump/Boris etc?

14 minutes ago, velo army said:

I saw the National recently showed support for Indy at an "all time high" of 54%.

I find this pretty demoralising if I'm honest. Given the highly politicised times we're living in I assumed it would be higher.

Are people becoming less politicised up here or are we just a bit fatigued with covid/Trump/Boris etc?

Most folk seem to have made their minds up a while back. Wee things like the government in Westminster being useless and self-serving isn't going to dissuade them from the notion that This Is The Way Things Should Be.

They're slowly dying off, and those that are left are finding it difficult to convince the new generation of young adults why the status quo is a good thing.

10 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Most folk seem to have made their minds up a while back. Wee things like the government in Westminster being useless and self-serving isn't going to dissuade them from the notion that This Is The Way Things Should Be.

They're slowly dying off, and those that are left are finding it difficult to convince the new generation of young adults why the status quo is a good thing.

Screeching that they’re brainwashed PC brigade snowflakes who don’t even respect Eton and Churchill and are too disgustingly liberal to laugh at the coloureds and the Polskies isn’t convincing them of the benefits of being part of Little Britain?

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

Na given what Tabby Dave has said 54% is a tectonic movement. Now to see if it's going to hold.

If it can be held, it’s a baseline I would happily take going into another indyref. If only the dear leader down south and his enabling vassals up here would let us have one...

5 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Screeching that they’re brainwashed PC brigade snowflakes who don’t even respect Eton and Churchill and are too disgustingly liberal to laugh at the coloureds and the Polskies isn’t convincing them of the benefits of being part of Little Britain?

I daresay anyone doing that isn't terribly interested in changing minds anyway.

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Na given what Tabby Dave has said 54% is a tectonic movement. Now to see if it's going to hold.

It kind of is. That's a lot of movement on an issue where people have become fairly entrenched.

Not that my opinion matters, but I think it'll keep slowly growing, with occasional fluctuations. That's the way it's been going for decades. I'm not sure what it would take to reverse that. We might live to see an independent Scotland, which is something I never thought would happen in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

To be fair, we all spent 2014 losing our minds about how the Tories/UKIP would drag us out the EU against our will, and Boris Johnson would become PM. It all felt a bit of a stretch then it happened!

I’m not sure it was a huge part of the 2014 “Yes” campaign; as I recall, it was more a response to BritNats claiming we’d be kicked out of the EU if we dared to govern ourselves. And when we pointed out the reality of English Europhobia and Toryism, we were accused of baseless “scare-mongering” by UK supporters who now advocate the horrific results they claimed were scary and unthinkably bad.

It strikes me now though that given the state of politics at UK level, far right tory government, incompetence, brexit, that the no campaign of any indy ref 2 basically has to align itself far further to the right on any campaign which plays very much into the hands of the yes campaign which can move safely closer to the centre.

It's interesting that Johnson and Rees-Mogg are dropping into current political talk that there isn't a Scotland England border, that Scotland is a region and now we have English air bridges announced - without 4 nation agreement. Factor in the 49% of English Tories who would like English independence and it looks promising for another increase in those wanting indy up here. Especially as the Scottish government continue with what seems a clear plan (mind you, anything would seem competent when judged against Westminster) to cut the effects of Covid even further. We really are a different country.