When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Dunno. Lived in England for five years and experienced precisely one (very mild) episode of anti Scottishness.

Anecdote isn't evidence etc. but I just don't think there's any use in denying these folk exist.

Nobody is denying it, but you don't see anti-English racisim in the press or parliament here, you do see anti-Scottish racism in WM and London media every day.  

My accent's all over the place, enough so that a woman from Derby immediately came out with, "ooh, you're from my part of the world!" after one sentence from me a year or two back. I've never experienced any anti-Englishness in Scotland. I'm sure it does happen, considering how many scumbag imbeciles there are around, but it's a bit odd that it's not something I've encountered, despite being called some choice things during arguments, which is when these things normally come out. I did work with a woman from Chatham for a bit who was always ranting about being persecuted for being English, but couldn't come up with any examples and was a massive homophobe, so f**k her.

I suppose you never know who's spitting in your drink after hearing your accent, right enough. Have any P&Bers, etcetera.

17 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
18 hours ago, strichener said:
Not really sure that your point is actually relevant.
How many of the 126,000 voted for Nicola? 

That's not his point

I know what his point was.   However the 126,000 SNP members had less say in their leader than the Tories. 

From where I stand as an independence supporter outside of the SNP, the organisation is more like a cult than a political movement.  

Is it though? Is it really?

For me, they're a means to a new beginning. I was a member for a while before moving abroad and didn't really get involved but at the meetings I attended, there was nothing like a cult going on. Just more media bullshit. 

I doubt you'd heard of him before his promotion.    

Then there was Struan Stevenson's performance on the radio today.   Absolutely obsessed with nationalism, and the SNP.      Another "unionist" who'll happily case aside unity with the rest of Europe because he hates the idea of his nationality being 'Scottish'.      
Stevenson has been a perma-raging fud for many years now, and whilst outwith his shaving mirror I don't think anyone is listening, it has been alarming to note that twice recently he has been given column inches in The Herald to vent his spleen about Iran and the Scottish Government, his twin obsessions.

I suspect if you're Scottish and not anglophobic (like most of us) then it might be hard to see anglophobia. I've chatted to some English work colleagues about this and there's loads of wee things that get said unthinkingly that wind them up.

Poshness being associated with Englishness for example. Worth keeping in mind if you're thinking of confidently saying there's no anglophobia in Scotland.

I don’t think it helps to view the relationship between the British elite historically and the Scottish people broadly as a nationalist issue instead of a class issue either. Or at least portraying the former as more important than the latter anyway.

Just now, NotThePars said:

There’s plenty of cultists in the SNP and you’ll get a good viewing of them once the Salmond trial begins in earnest.

I thought they were all away to join the Bath Party?

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

There’s plenty of cultists in the SNP and you’ll get a good viewing of them once the Salmond trial begins in earnest.

Aye, but they're sub cults who hate each other, especially on trans issues. Sturgeon is hardly worshipped Dear Leader style, just admired by the twitter silent majority.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You mean in every political party, organisation, and large grouping in the history of humanity I presume.  If you want to suggest there is a higher percentage of said people in the SNP than in any other grouping in history, the onus of proof is very much on you.

I know what his point was.   However the 126,000 SNP members had less say in their leader than the Tories. 
From where I stand as an independence supporter outside of the SNP, the organisation is more like a cult than a political movement.  
She stood for election but was unopposed. If someone had stood against her there would have been an election that every member could cast a ballot in. The SNP is no cult.

On 14/02/2020 at 23:50, Grahame said:

Both because I don't believe my country should be oppressed.    

You wanting Scotland to remain in the UK for Team:Rangers reasons is moronic but it's at least a reason.    

Surely even you can't think the current situation whereby Scotland entered into the Act of Union but is forbidden to leave is just and correct.   

The current PM is an absolute disgrace.  

Oppressed - will you just get her. Pitiful.