When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just had a look back there. I mean, folk can say Malky is a troll and all the rest of it, but the effort he is putting in, even if his "goal" is to extract the same effort from others, is really getting to humiliation levels for him. Nothing like having Kincy ride in to your defence to really put the tin lid on it tbf.

Cyclizine has absolutely played him there by staying on point, and being civil.

Until Malky has concluded his discourse with Cyclizine, his posts should be ignored IMO. Pathetic.

54 representatives of the people of Scotland voted against allowing them to make decisions for themselves. What a bunch of servile, slimey cretins.

Anyway, this won’t do much to catalyse indyref2. Although it’s early days, Labour look absolutely fucked in the GE polls so we can look forward to more Tory rule up until the 30s, most likely. We’re going to have to work with these right-wing lunatics at some point to allow this to happen. They’d be as well taking the chance now while the old fuddy duddies that are still kicking about might push it in No’s favour.

I don't have any problem with a gatekeeper system, but I do agree to some extent with what you are saying here. 
I'm not sure why GP's running their practice would think that a GP receptionist who struggles with a colouring in book and crayons would be better able to diagnose how ill someone is over the telephone than they are. If the system works as it was supposed to perhaps we shouldn't worry about a shortage of GP's and just recruit more GP Receptionists instead. 

Struggle with colouring in? What an arrogant w****r you are. They probably have plenty appointments free when you phone but just like to wind you up because you come across as a stuck up tosser.

Hi, @Malky3. I see you haven't countered the any of the points I raised earlier, that's fine, just thought you wanted a constructive debate. Perhaps you have no further argument?

Anyway, this is the Indyref2 thread, so time to get back on-topic. There's thread over on GN about health, so perhaps if you've got something to say you could do it there or start a new thread in this subforum. I'd be delighted to discuss the practicalities of your ideas on how we can improve in NHS Scotland!

Edited by Cyclizine

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Scottish independence: MSPs back new referendum in Holyrood vote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51284836

IT'S HAPPENINNNNNNG.

SNP MSP's vote for Independence Ref 2 on the same day that the news broke that the Scottish Government missed EVERY SINGLE EDUCATION TARGET it set for itself. What an embarrassing way to try to manage the news. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1234957/nicola-sturgeon-news-SNP-latest-ruth-davidson-MSP-attainment-gap-times

1 minute ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

www.express.co.uk

A new low.

No, the new low is the Scottish Governments education figures. Catastrophic. Yet whilst they were failing Scottish kids, all they talked about in Parliament was what flag would be hung outside and about Indy Ref 2. 

As Jim Sillars warned - if the Nationalists can't start to make their case more convincing the 55% heroes will simply keep voting to stay within the UK. Sturgeon is having you all on and you are following her into the abyss. 

Malky

Just for you, I'll try to keep things simple.

The figures from the Express are comparing attainment between the top & bottom quintiles (that's the top 20% and the bottom 20% if you've not heard of quintiles)

Firstly, the 2019/20 figures aren't available yet. How can they be when the school year is still going on? The Times & Express are predicting that the SNP will not achieve targets which the Times suggests were "ambitious" Fair enough. 

Secondly, the figures measure the "attainment gap", not "levels of attainment".

To illustrate , try to imagine a situation where the baseline figures were as follows:

Baseline bottom quintile - 60% of pupils attained target

Baseline top quintile - 82% attained target.

That's an attaiment gap of 22%. Are you with me so far?

Now if the new figures were available today, and they were as follows:

Today's bottom quartile - 70% of pupils attained target

Today's top quartile - 95% of pupils attained target

That's great news, isn't it! The top quartile  kids are up 13 points, and the bottom quartile kids are up 10 points.

Oh, but wait a minute. The attainment gap is now 25%. Disaster! The education system is in disarray! Sack the Government!!!!

My reading of the actual figures (mostly available in this thread-reader article is that the attainment gap has shrunk slightly in 3 of the 4 measures (but not as much as was hoped) and has risen vey slightly in the 4th measure.

Annoyingly, however, the link to the actual figures is broken. It's impossible to use the information provided to establish whether the change in the attainment gap is due to both measurements increasing (as in my hypothetical example above) or due to some other factor.

Effectively (like many other stories in the Express), the statistics have been presented in the worst possible light, with the information required to make a true judgement nowhere to be seen. 

Finally, your assertion that the SNP are attempting to "manage the news" by having a democratic vote in Holyrood on the same day that this abuse of statistics was released is risible.

The SNP said they were going to have the vote today. It's likely that the Times & Express chose to tun this story to distract attention. It's telling that there are no new facts contained in the story, and the headline relates to potentially missing targets at some future unspecified date.

It's telling that you don't question what you read in the Express. It says a lot about your critical abilities.

Edited by lichtgilphead
changed "up 10 %" to "up 10 points" for clarity

21 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:
2 hours ago, Malky3 said:

SNP MSP's vote for Independence Ref 2 on the same day that the news broke that the Scottish Government missed EVERY SINGLE EDUCATION TARGET it set for itself. What an embarrassing way to try to manage the news. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1234957/nicola-sturgeon-news-SNP-latest-ruth-davidson-MSP-attainment-gap-times

"Andrew Mavers said: “As Conservatives deliver largest cash boost in a generation for English education, in Scotland, education - once envy of the world - remains on the slide under the SNP. Distracted by pursuit of grievances, they have failed a generation.”

Who can possibly disagree with this?