When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I mentioned in my post that the Irish had feck all

And how about the mass Scottish emigration in the fifties and sixties to Canda, Australia and NZ, how do you account for that?

And I'll add in Corby and elsewhere in the shires.

Was it anything to do with twice the unemployment rate in Scotland compared to england?

Just pointing out that saying we'll be rocking it by the 22nd Century isn't going to sway many undecideds.

I mentioned in my post that the Irish had feck all
And how about the mass Scottish emigration in the fifties and sixties to Canda, Australia and NZ, how do you account for that?
And I'll add in Corby and elsewhere in the shires.
Was it anything to do with twice the unemployment rate in Scotland compared to england?
Scotland would cream Ireland. Ireland in the 70s was a fucking Guinness factory and a big farm.
I've absolutely no issue with dropping corporation tax, more employment = more income tax plus many of these big companies offer fantastic benefits to employees. Easily compliment a social democratic society. It's dog eat dog and Alba would be the Alsatian and Eire the poodle

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Scotland would cream Ireland. Ireland in the 70s was a fucking Guinness factory and a big farm.
I've absolutely no issue with dropping corporation tax, more employment = more income tax plus many of these big companies offer fantastic benefits to employees. Easily compliment a social democratic society. It's dog eat dog and Alba would be the Alsatian and Eire the poodle

As you know I'm a nationalist and a member of the SNP but here's the irony of where we are now, in their 1970 election manifesto the SNP were strongly opposed to Common Market ( EU) membership, yet times, attitudes and policies change.

There is absolutely no doubt that Ireland has benefited greatly from EU membership and will continue to do so as many other smaller nations have done likewise..

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Just pointing out that saying we'll be rocking it by the 22nd Century isn't going to sway many undecideds.

I have never said that, I am more than aware that there will be economic difficulties on Independence but the benefit of being able to stand alone as a nation and decide our future will outweigh those difficulties eventually, it is not the likes of us on this forum who will take the country forward but our children and grandchildren, it is they as proud Scots and not British, whatever that was, who will benefit.

As I have mentioned before having worked with Danes I have seen at first hand what a small European nation can achieve with the right education and attitude, and bear in mind that they do not have the natural resources we possess, Denmark for instance have a substantial share of wind turbine manufacture throughout the world with Vesta, and how about Denmark's Maersk one of the largest merchant fleets in the world, and then we question what happened to the great Scottish shipping companies such as Denholm, Ben Line, Lyle, Hogarth's etc etc.

And why were North Sea platform modules built in Middlesborough and Sunderland when Clyde shipyards stood empty, we have been systematically stripped of industry and fed fuckin crumbs through our own blind adherence to a fuckin failed so called Union.

On 18/12/2019 at 23:36, Donathan said:

Trying to think of any little subgroups who's answer to "should there be a referendum?" would differ from actual voting intention:

- Unionists who believe that Scotland has the right to self-determination but are ultimately better off in the union (See some comments from SLab talking heads this week)

- Nationalists who don't think yes can win just yet and are waiting for some unspecified future date (can't be many of these left now)

- Unionists who want a referendum to truly kill the issue off for a generation

Ultimately though I'd expect 90%+ correlation between people's answers to the two questions. Those who want a referendum will vote Yes if there is one, and those arguing against one would vote No.

Well we'd only have to wait another 5 years, if the ugliest woman in politics constantly defines GENERATION

10 hours ago, Malky3 said:

You've quoted that but do you even know what it means? 

I absolutely agree with that statement. It's 100% correct. The GERs Report is a statement about Scotlands current fiscal position. It's what Scotland spends today and what it earns in revenue under the current systems. 

What I have always asked is how would Nationalists do things differently to the current system to make the changes that balance the books. Look back, I've asked the question "What would Nationalists cut to make the books balance" so many times I was accused of spamming with it. 

The SNP's last published document on it's spending plans for an Independent Scotland claimed - the White Paper - claimed that an Independent Scotland would look just the same as Scotland today. We'd still fund the NHS in the same way, still pay pensions, welfare, etc, etc in exactly the same way. But because of the huge oil revenues we'd all be enjoying we'd pay less tax therefore making us all richer. 

This was complete lie. Had we voted Yes in 2014 we'd have ran up over £45Bn worth of debt in just over 3 years - if a new state could even borrow that money in the first place - and taxation cuts would have been nothing more than a pipedream since oil revenues fell through the floor. 

So I ask again. If we were to vote for Independence what would you cut and how high would you take taxation in an attempt to give Scots the kind of public sector spending we enjoy just now? 

Oh and BTW the Fraser of Allander Institute is anything but a right wing think tank. Its a completely independent research group associated to the University of Strathclyde. However it is interesting that you as a nationalist have thought to paint them that way. Is that because they consistently publish reports and blogs that don't suit Nationalist thinking? You know, like in the same completely laughable way Nationalists have decided that the BBC is a right wing broadcaster. 

You're a disinformation troll.

You also refused to distance yourself from support of racism, homophobia and misogyny despite being given several opportunities to. Says a lot about you.

9 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Ireland got their Independence without a penny in the bank and not a pot to piss in, they survived happily without the english and continue to do so.

So feckin what if we have nothing, at least we will be Free.

Someone doesn't know their history. 

From 1922 to the 60's Ireland was poverty ridden and dealing with massive levels of migration. They had a ten year upturn in the 1960s before going back into decline through the 70's and 80's. The 90's through to 2008 saw the best period in Irish history, but that came crashing down with the banking crisis and they've been struggling with high levels of debt, the stagnation of the housing market, low rates of growth (2015 aside) and high levels of unemployment. 

The fact you think Scotland should want to copy their independence story really does show your opinion is utterly worthless. 

7 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
9 hours ago, welshbairn said:
I wouldn't use Ireland as an example myself, it took them 70 years to get their act together, forcing mass emigration in the meantime, much of it to England.

I would. Ireland started from nothing. Ireland has no right to be currently outperforming Scotland with their paucity of resource but guess what they are. Wonder why? Answer they have control of their own affairs

Eh they fecking don't! The EU run their affairs as you can see with the possible imposition of a hard border between them and the North despite them not wishing it, and saying it will financially ruin Ireland! 

And the reason Ireland are outperforming Scotland at the moment is because we've got a useless devolved parliament where the governments sole goal is to blow yet another £11m on an independence referendum, and more political instability whilst raising taxes to make Scotland the most expensive place in the UK to work! 

6 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

12.6bn blah blah

Blatantly ignoring the 1.8 trillion debt the UK is in (last time I checked).

Someone doesn't know the difference between a deficit and a debt. Scotland would own a large chunk of that debt in any divorce deal - you do realise that don't you? 

1 hour ago, JMDP said:

You're a disinformation troll.

You also refused to distance yourself from support of racism, homophobia and misogyny despite being given several opportunities to. Says a lot about you.

troll! 

5 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Someone doesn't know the difference between a deficit and a debt. Scotland would own a large chunk of that debt in any divorce deal - you do realise that don't you? 

Tell me Malky. Just how much of the UK National Debt did Eire take on as part of their divorce deal?

As far as I recall, they made no claim on the rUK's assets, and accordingly took no share of the liabilities.

So what is it, Malky. On Independence Day do we get our share of the overseas embassies & territories, plus our share of the navy, army & airforce etc, or does rUK keep all these assets along with all the debts?

Eh they fecking don't! The EU run their affairs as you can see with the possible imposition of a hard border between them and the North despite them not wishing it, and saying it will financially ruin Ireland! 
And the reason Ireland are outperforming Scotland at the moment is because we've got a useless devolved parliament where the governments sole goal is to blow yet another £11m on an independence referendum, and more political instability whilst raising taxes to make Scotland the most expensive place in the UK to work! 

Really? Pray tell how Ireland have responded to international (EU) pressure to raise their corporation tax?

Doesn't have a problem with the cost of 3 GE's in as many years, but complains about the costof an indy ref. Lies about most expensive place to work. How many Scots pay more tax than their rUK counterparts?

7 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Someone doesn't know their history. 

From 1922 to the 60's Ireland was poverty ridden and dealing with massive levels of migration. They had a ten year upturn in the 1960s before going back into decline through the 70's and 80's. The 90's through to 2008 saw the best period in Irish history, but that came crashing down with the banking crisis and they've been struggling with high levels of debt, the stagnation of the housing market, low rates of growth (2015 aside) and high levels of unemployment. 

The fact you think Scotland should want to copy their independence story really does show your opinion is utterly worthless. 

Just as you are going by the opinion of all of the posters on this Forum.