When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Just had to watch QT the other night to see what Little England thinks of us. We have nothing in common anymore except language. We need independence.

Not even sure about that. (language)

When I go into a pub in here in Lancashire, and ask for a pint of Ruddles they don't know what I'm on about.

I've learned now I have to ask for Roodles.

18 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Sturgeon is expecting him to knock it back but going by this she has a plan so it can't be challenged legally. Sounds very promising. Screenshot_20191213-205750_WhatsApp.jpegScreenshot_20191213-205811_WhatsApp.jpeg

Put it this way, if it comes down to awareness of the legal system in this regards, I know where my money is.  And it isn't with a loveably unkempt Have I Got News For You Presenter.

Do people honestly think the Scottish Government are going to ask Westminster for permission and expect to get it granted?  Of course it'll get rejected, but I'm fairly certain they'll have the next move ready when the inevitable no is given.

Do people honestly think the Scottish Government are going to ask Westminster for permission and expect to get it granted?  Of course it'll get rejected, but I'm fairly certain they'll have the next move ready when the inevitable no is given.

I suspect it’ll all be quite pantomime.

They’ll fully expect a no but the flat out no just fuels the independence argument and I’d expect the SNP to be pushing that as far as possible.

4 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

Can they take away Holyrood though?  I am a bit confused by the Scotland act.  The Scotland Act 2016 states that the Scottish government and parliament can only be taken away if a referendum is held in Scotland and it was voted for. 

Yet the Scotland Act 1998 section 30 says that the uk government can amend any rules and legislation that Holyrood enacts.  

So I don't know if they can or can't legally dissolve Holyrood. 

No.

The Scotland Act 2016 says that the Scottish Parliament is a permanent part of the UK’s constitutional arrangements and that it isn’t to be abolished except following a referendum in which that is the decision of #RaPeeepul of Scotland.

But under section 28(7) of the original Scotland Act 1998, the legal powers of the UK Parliament to make laws for Scotland is undiminished by devolution.

This means a future Act of Parliament could repeal not only the Scotland Act 1998 (providing for the Parliament) but also the provision in the most recent Scotland Act 2016 that actually requires the referendum first.

Section 30 is irrelevant in this equation. It allows the competencies of the Scottish Parliament to be modified by *secondary legislation* (rather than an Act of the UK Parliament) if the Commons, Lords and Holyrood all agree that should happen.

Section 35 says the Secretary of State for Scotland can veto Holyrood Bills it he thinks they would make the UK breach its international obligations or threaten national security. (This power has never been used).

Section 33 allows the UK Government’s law officers to refer a Holyrood Bill to the Supreme Court before royal assent If its provisions appear not to be within devolved competence. (This power has been used once in Scotland to delay the Continuity Bill in 2018, but the equivalent power has been used 4 times in Wales)

There will certainly be some sort of power grab attempted, but I genuinely don't see them going nuclear and dissolving Holyrood.

Would make sense to do what they’re doing with the NHS and just removing things gradually. Dunno if that’s legal or even desirable though. The constituency for dissolving the parliament is fairly non-existent and they can squeeze Holyrood with budget cuts instead.

The power grab is going to be subtle. It’s going to be about signing trade deals that force devolved Governments to change their laws and policies or restricts them in the future.

They're not going to Get Holyrood Done. They know that is the *one* thing that would lead to a unilateral referendum, riots, and a Yes majority consisting of certain current Lab/Lib (and even some Con) voters.

4 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Just had to watch QT the other night to see what Little England thinks of us. We have nothing in common anymore except language. We need independence.

Oh FFS.  England and Scotland have about a 90% overlap.  You both even vote in the same way.  Both regions gave significant majorities to small-minded xenophobic secessionist politicians.

Oh FFS.  England and Scotland have about a 90% overlap.  You both even vote in the same way.  Both regions gave significant majorities to small-minded xenophobic secessionist politicians.

I don’t agree with the sentiment that Scots and the English are significantly different people, but your post is nonsense.

There is a clear distinction between the political Will here and down south, that is beyond doubt.

33 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Yeah, it will be the sneaky, behind closed doors route they take. Gambling on ignorance and apathy.

It'll back fire. Scotland isn't nearly as ignorant and apathetic politically than engurland.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

We have far more in common with the Republic of Ireland than we do with England.