When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Margaret Thatcher (and I'm no fan!!) even understood about the mandate for getting independence.

From page 624 of her book The Downing Street Years. Midway through paragraph two, she asserts:

“The Tory Party is not, of course, an English party, but a Unionist one. If it sometimes seems English to some Scots, that is because the Union is inevitably dominated by England by reason of its greater population. The Scots, being an historic nation with a proud past, will inevitably resent some expressions of this fact from time to time."

"As a nation, they have an undoubted right to national self-determination; thus far they have exercised that right by joining and remaining in the Union. Should they determine on independence, no English party or politician would stand in their way, however much we might regret their departure.”

1 hour ago, Crùbag said:

Plans are afoot already - it's the British Way.  Hopefully they're not stupid enough to actually go ahead with it. It'll be mayhem.

Every single thing they do to harm Scotland will strengthen the Independence cause. They're stupid, and arrogant, enough to go for it though.

I know a couple of people over 50 who despise the thought of Independence, they never actually explain why though.

I think the recent 'referendum's bill' at Holyrood would give us the power to hold a ref on any issue. Obvs an Indyref wouldn't be binding down in Westminster but London ignoring a pro-Indy majority in such an advisory ref would be madness. It would be Ireland, and other parts of the British Empire, all over again.

One thing is for sure, the SNP can't go to Westminster and continue like they did in the last parly term.

The Tories have a mandate for Boris as PM and Brexit. England voted for both and that must be respected.

The SNP sole aim now is Scotland and achieving independence . First up is the battle for indyref2. 

In my opinion they should not hold back in the pursuit of independence and causing mayhem to the point of obstructionism at Westminster to achieve our goal  if the Tory government refuse Section 30 order

Edited by Colkitto

I think the recent 'referendum's bill' at Holyrood would give us the power to hold a ref on any issue. Obvs an Indyref wouldn't be binding down in Westminster but London ignoring a pro-Indy majority in such an advisory ref would be madness. It would be Ireland, and other parts of the British Empire, all over again.

That would imply that independence would be fought, in part, through force of arms and civil unrest.

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Which is why they will pull every trick in the book to stop it happening 

This my issue.

Tin foil hat time....

If they can orchestrate a war in the middle east to have first dibs on the countries natural resources, will they let the ones they already have go, without dirty tricks?

They can manage opinion polls and rig a vote no problem.

Edited by johnnydun

58 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I can see this ending in social unrest if the power to decide on Indyrefs is not handed over in the next 12 months and any court action fails.

Finally a post of yours I can agree with.  Sort of anyway.

Civil unrest is justifiable if people’s democratic wishes are ignored.  I am not sure whether there would be sufficient wide scale support for the actions we have seen, for instance, in Catalonia.  I  hope there is such support though I hope that a further Referendum will be ‘granted’ therefore avoiding need for such actions.

Can they take away Holyrood though?  I am a bit confused by the Scotland act.  The Scotland Act 2016 states that the Scottish government and parliament can only be taken away if a referendum is held in Scotland and it was voted for. 
Yet the Scotland Act 1998 section 30 says that the uk government can amend any rules and legislation that Holyrood enacts.  
So I don't know if they can or can't legally dissolve Holyrood. 
Westminster can do anything it likes since it's sovereign.

7 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
45 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:
Can they take away Holyrood though?  I am a bit confused by the Scotland act.  The Scotland Act 2016 states that the Scottish government and parliament can only be taken away if a referendum is held in Scotland and it was voted for. 
Yet the Scotland Act 1998 section 30 says that the uk government can amend any rules and legislation that Holyrood enacts.  
So I don't know if they can or can't legally dissolve Holyrood. 

Westminster can do anything it likes since it's sovereign.

Maybes aye and maybes naw is all I can gather from this.

https://www.scottishconstitutionalfutures.org/OpinionandAnalysis/ViewBlogPost/tabid/1767/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/6113/Mike-Gordon-The-Permanence-of-Devolution-Parliamentary-Sovereignty-and-Referendum-Requirements.aspx