When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think you may be confusing increases in risk of suicides with absolute causes of suicides but I'm prepared to be educated on that.

"In this report, ‘suicidal behaviour’ comprises suicide and attempted suicide, and, in some instances, non-fatal self-harm where death is not the (main or sole) intended outcome."

I trust this clarifies.

37 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think you may be confusing increases in risk of suicides with absolute causes of suicides but I'm prepared to be educated on that.

BTW, you might want to cut out the smug last line stuff until people have had a chance to engage with you on it but if you want to join the rest of the screeching chimps on here by default then I respect the fact that it's your call.

It was part of my point. It was so easy to find that one must have deliberately avoided it to miss it.

If joining the screeching chimps exempts me from condescending advice on how to behave then I'll join the chimps.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

2021-2022. Deal made with Labour and Libdems to support them in WM in return for an indyref after a 2nd Brexit ref. If remain wins, indyref with a devomax option otherwise straight yes/no.

I fully expect it to pan out like this but also expect the arguments over "Devo max" and what that actually means to result in the fucking thing being canceled.

17 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No it doesn't.

I was talking about the causes of suicide. That report talks about increased relative risks of suicide but what you need to be talking about is absolute causes of suicide. The two are very different and only the latter is of any use.

Ok gotcha. The post I originally quoted seemed to deny correlation between poverty and suicide rates.

However I disagree on your assertion that the latter is the only one of use. The absolute cause of suicide, while very relevant to those around the individual, will vary from person to person on an almost infinite individual level surely and there isn't a whole lot society can do about that?

However if a strong correlation is found between poverty, a national problem that can be dealt with at government level, and suicide rates, surely that is of significant use?

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That is your choice and I respect it. Good luck up there my friend. Just a bit of advice - don't disagree with them on anything.

By the way, it may have been easy to find but that doesn't make it relevant. Had you even considered that?

My post did mention not wanting condescending advice did it not? I believe I already have disagreed with a few of them on the Stuart Campbell/Wings thread. I'm not afraid to disagree with anyone, in fact I think disagreement is a cornerstone of a healthy society.

The post I originally quoted:

image.thumb.png.ecb86a591abb11199b80edd080289c00.png

Part of the quote I took from the report:

"There is now overwhelming evidence of a strong connection between socioeconomic deprivation and suicidal behaviour."

I fail to see how that could be considered irrelevant.

15 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

2021-2022. Deal made with Labour and Libdems to support them in WM in return for an indyref after a 2nd Brexit ref. If remain wins, indyref with a devomax option otherwise straight yes/no.

Dear Santa.....

Edited by 18May1991

That arse Maajid Nawaz on LBC, has just asked a listener from Aberdeen how can he possibly consider voting for a party who's former leader has been accused of rape and sexual assault?

Unbelievable.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

Court action 'likely' if Indyref2 power refused
A senior minister has given the delivered the clearest signal yet that the Scottish Government will go to court if it is refused permission to hold a second independence referendum by Downing Street.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/court-action-likely-if-indyref2-power-refused-920780

11 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Court action 'likely' if Indyref2 power refused
A senior minister has given the delivered the clearest signal yet that the Scottish Government will go to court if it is refused permission to hold a second independence referendum by Downing Street.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/court-action-likely-if-indyref2-power-refused-920780

Should have gone to court almost three and a half years ago as soon as may said now is not the time.  Could have had a ruling by now and probably won it, meaning the Scottish government could call a referendum right now any time they want and save us from brexit.

Funnily enough wings has been saying that for over three years, he's always right.  Some people myself included have been asking snp figures for over three years why they didn't do that, not one has ever.answered officially or unofficially yet.  They made a huge mistake there and may have wasted the best chance we'll ever get.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No, no hes not.

He is.  You might not like him but he's the best political mind in Britain.  He predicted trump and brexit ages before they happened.  I don't know any other journalist that did. He's right about this too, the Scottish government should have followed the course of action he outlined three and a half years ago, we'd be almost there by now if they did.

3 minutes ago, Kuro said:

He is.  You might not like him but he's the best political mind in Britain.  He predicted trump and brexit ages before they happened.  I don't know any other journalist that did. He's right about this too, the Scottish government should have followed the course of action he outlined three and a half years ago, we'd be almost there by now if they did.

The problem with going to court is that you might not get the verdict you expect

He’s wrong about trans people. Hunners of people saw Trump coming, I thought he’d win it as soon as he announced and could see a populist hard right candidate coming. Brexit was also predictable. Wings can be described by no one with a shred of credibility as the best political mind in Britain.

4 minutes ago, sophia said:

The problem with going to court is that you might not get the verdict you expect

Michael Russell doesn't sound too confident.

In the event that power to hold a referendum is refused, “the pursuit of redress through the courts and the strengthening of independence feeling in the Parliament and country would also all be likely consequences,” he adds.

16 minutes ago, sophia said:

And you'd be in the exact same position scotgov are in right now, there was.nothing to lose. 

With in Scotland the people being sovereign not the monarch or the parliament, and the Scottish parliament (which voted for a referendum) being the only body on the planet directly elected by the Scottish people, I think you'd be pretty much guaranteed to win unless the judiciary was nobbled.  Its also a breach of the act of union and also the un convention on human rights to deny one.

legally its a slam dunk and at worst you're in the same position you're in now.

2014 also set a precedent too, it was a guaranteed win if they took it to court.

Edited by Kuro

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

He’s wrong about trans people. Hunners of people saw Trump coming, I thought he’d win it as soon as he announced and could see a populist hard right candidate coming. Brexit was also predictable. Wings can be described by no one with a shred of credibility as the best political mind in Britain.

I would imagine your opinion of his views on trans people and the reality of his views are.not.one and the same.  Show me journalists that predicted trump and brexit then....

Edited by Kuro