When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I for one am enjoying this exchange on mental health issues, the parroting of the Tory line by a couple of individuals is better than the repetitive 12.6bn chat that normally spams this section.
It helps that neither has a clue what they are talking about & even clearer that they couldn’t give a shit & would quite happily see the issues continue as long as they aren’t hit in the pocket to assist in alleviating the pain & suffering that Tory policy is inflicting.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

It's almost impossible to own a home in London and rental costs outstrip the wage subsidy. Help to Buy doesn't work when house prices are £400k and above and you work in a £60k IT job.

And yet people still flock there.

It's all about the energy and the prospect of "gold pavements" in that city. You'll never, ever be able to stop that IMO.

The Help to buy scheme in London allows 40% up to £600k.  The rest of England is Half this amount.  Such policies only encourage the divergence in house prices.

The issue is that successive governments have encouraged home ownership as an investment with people expecting prices to rise at above wage growth.  Wholly unsustainable in the long term.  

BTW, currently a 60k job in London would comfortably allow the purchase of a £400k property.  The issue is that £400k in Greater London gets you next to nothing in terms of property and certainly not in a new build.

On 05/11/2019 at 23:27, Malky3 said:

Did you watch it? The journalst claimed Trump might want the NHS to pay more for US Pharma drugs and the former US Trade negotiator said the UK might want to keep that off the table but that might not be attractive to the USA. 

A hell of a lot of "mights" for a Trade Deal that hasn't been negotiated yet and certainly no justification whatsoever for the Nationalists rhetoric on the subject. 

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1190345366438371329?s=09

No " mights " .......just nothing from your main man

1 hour ago, Only an observer said:

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1190345366438371329?s=09

No " mights " .......just nothing from your main man

I can't watch the link here but I will have a look later. 

The thing is, if I am reading you right and you are insinuating that my "main man" is Boris Johnson I wouldn't expect him to give comment. 

It's a bit like when Theresa May was going off to negotiate with the EU and journalists demanded to know what her negotiating strategy was whilst political opponents demanded she take "No Deal" off the table and ensure that "we paid our way" as any part of a divorce deal. Showing your opponent your hand before you even start playing is never a clever strategy. 

36 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You do realise that socio economic status has direct correlation to suicide rates?

Really? 

Here's what the mental health website says about it

People with a diagnosed mental health condition have been shown to be at a higher risk of attempting and completing suicide, with more than 90% of suicides and suicide attempts having been found to be associated with a psychiatric disorder.

A 2014 UK survey found that one in six people tried to take their own life while on a waiting list for psychological therapy.

Preliminary analysis of data from WHO’s World Mental Health Surveys has found that rates of mental illness increase as countries get richer, in contrast to rates of physical illness
and mortality.

I poured through the report and whilst "inequality" rather than poverty was seen as a factor in the number of cases of depression and GAD mental health issues around the UK at no point did it claim that it was a major factor in suicides. Indeed it went on to report that figures from the USA suggested that negative interactions within relationships with a partner or a spouse caused a greater threat of "suicide ideation".

I suppose the real problem for you and those like you who choose to try to put the causes of suicides into a nice wee box and label the causes of it is that it's kind of difficult to ask a suicide victim what drove them to do it once they have completed suicide. The causes are far more complex, and wide ranging than simply saying a few extra quid in their benefits would have fixed it. 

9 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Really? 

Here's what the mental health website says about it

I poured through the report and whilst "inequality" rather than poverty was seen as a factor in the number of cases of depression and GAD mental health issues around the UK at no point did it claim that it was a major factor in suicides. Indeed it went on to report that figures from the USA suggested that negative interactions within relationships with a partner or a spouse caused a greater threat of "suicide ideation".

I suppose the real problem for you and those like you who choose to try to put the causes of suicides into a nice wee box and label the causes of it is that it's kind of difficult to ask a suicide victim what drove them to do it once they have completed suicide. The causes are far more complex, and wide ranging than simply saying a few extra quid in their benefits would have fixed it. 

"There is now overwhelming evidence of a strong connection between socioeconomic deprivation and suicidal behaviour. Areas of higher socioeconomic disadvantage tend to have higher rates of suicide and the greater the level of deprivation experienced by an individual, the higher their risk of suicidal behaviour." Samaritans.org

Find full report here: https://www.samaritans.org/about-samaritans/research-policy/inequality-suicide/

Commissioned by Samaritans including experts from the Universities of Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow and LSE.

I'm fairly new to this thread but that was literally one Google search to find that.

"There is now overwhelming evidence of a strong connection between socioeconomic deprivation and suicidal behaviour. Areas of higher socioeconomic disadvantage tend to have higher rates of suicide and the greater the level of deprivation experienced by an individual, the higher their risk of suicidal behaviour." Samaritans.org
Find full report here: https://www.samaritans.org/about-samaritans/research-policy/inequality-suicide/
Commissioned by Samaritans including experts from the Universities of Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow and LSE.
I'm fairly new to this thread but that was literally one Google search to find that.

The guys a fucking moron mate.

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

By Christmas this thread will consist of nothing but Malksoft talking to himself in massive TL; DR walls of text.

And providing no evidence to back up his claims...

I was going to cite this before as I was involved in the sampling due to my work, until I asked myself if it’ll make an iota of difference; it won’t. He’s a diddy.

21 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I was going to cite this before as I was involved in the sampling due to my work, until I asked myself if it’ll make an iota of difference; it won’t. He’s a diddy.

Fair enough, I'm relatively new to the thread. However, as someone with a penchant for being more of a fly on the wall for lots of political discussion, I felt duty bound not to leave an inadequate post on the social science unchallenged for the benefit of other "flies". 

Fair enough, I'm relatively new to the thread. However, as someone with a penchant for being more of a fly on the wall for lots of political discussion, I felt duty bound not to leave an inadequate post on the social science unchallenged for the benefit of other "flies". 

Unfortunately, that’s the whole reason he’s posting on this site, to fill the threads with inadequate arguments to make the whole board unreadable.

I can't watch the link here but I will have a look later. 
The thing is, if I am reading you right and you are insinuating that my "main man" is Boris Johnson I wouldn't expect him to give comment. 
It's a bit like when Theresa May was going off to negotiate with the EU and journalists demanded to know what her negotiating strategy was whilst political opponents demanded she take "No Deal" off the table and ensure that "we paid our way" as any part of a divorce deal. Showing your opponent your hand before you even start playing is never a clever strategy. 

You expected the UK to be professional over this ? [emoji23].

The EU and just about every remainer knew it would be a shambles before May even let everyone know all her impossible red lines.

The terms "UK government" and "negotiating position" should never be uttered in the same sentence again.