When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What prompted this chronic alias? Assuming I've missed him being humiliatingly owned somewhere else. Again.

He was doing that weird zen thing for a while, which was no fun at all. Presumably folk had stopped responding to the seething Daily Mail stuff when they saw his username, so a new account was required.

Back with a fucking bang, anyway. “Austerity doesn’t exist” is a nice doubling-down on the old “poverty doesn’t exist” schtick. Played.

14 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Ruth Davidson has never disguised her ambition to be FM of Scotland.

How would you feel if she achieved that - but within an independent Scotland?

Unlikely scenario I know, but wouldn't that be better than being ruled by Boris, or some equally obnoxious Eton educated arsehole.?

I believe Scottish Independence would be catastrophic for us all. Not one Nationalist has presented a case that suggests otherwise. All you get is this relentless bombardment of anti-English, anti-Westminster, and anti-Boris rubbish. The United Kingdom has served Scotland well and it will continue to do so for a very long time regardless of whom is Prime Minister. 

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

The Venn diagrams of people who have used a foodbank and people who in bad faith say they're so happy they exist do not overlap.

In an Independent Scotland would you stop donating to Foodbanks? 

I believe Scottish Independence would be catastrophic for us all. Not one Nationalist has presented a case that suggests otherwise. All you get is this relentless bombardment of anti-English, anti-Westminster, and anti-Boris rubbish. The United Kingdom has served Scotland well and it will continue to do so for a very long time regardless of whom is Prime Minister. 

Brexit will be catastrophic.

41 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Brexit will be catastrophic.

It's been bad, I agree. But to have a second long drawn out divorce leaving us with a ridiculous hard border with our nearest neighbour - that would be catastrophic

15 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

It's been bad, I agree. But to have a second long drawn out divorce leaving us with a ridiculous hard border with our nearest neighbour - that would be catastrophic

Quite agree.  After independence, a hard border with England would be very undesirable.

7 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

For both countries. Which is why it won't happen.

In the same way that theres not going to be a hard border in Ireland? You're more optimistic than anyone in the EU appears to be

If you listen to UK gov there is not gonnae be a hard border in Ireland. They will get it sorted with all manner of new border control innovations. Contrast that with Westminster and Scottish unionists attitudes to the same problem regarding Scotland.😂 What a duplicitous shower of sh@te. 

No one wants a hard border with the rUK, so the Ireland situation is interesting.

Indeed until we were actually confirmed an EU member state, there would be no need for a hard border, unless Westminster dictated it. Given it may damage both economies, it would be the last thing they would want.

However even if there was hard border, Scotland within an EU trading block would be on the right side of it. Given the importing nature of the rUK economy, particularly with regards the necessities that we produce, they would have little other options but to buy. We would have other tariff free import options.

Also the transition may not be that severe. Given the dodgy methodology of the staistics that are available to ESS, it is highly likely that our trade with the rUK is very much overstated compared with that to Europe and the rest of the World. ESS is based on survey return. Survey forms are sent out to 6000 businesses annually ....with no legal compunction to complete and return them.

ESS also does not have access to any specific statistics of trade between the nation's of the UK. So these figures unionists keep quoting are effectively made up. It does record direct sales from Scotland to outwith the UK. These show that 40% of our trade is to Europe and ROW destinations.

However here is the caveat

ESS states: "ESS estimates only capture the first point of export. This means if a good is exported to a company in the rest of the UK and that company then exports it somewhere else, ESS will only capture the export to the rest of the UK.

Make from that what you will, but very few Scottish goods are exported directly from Scotland without transiting an rUK port. Scottish goods sent elsewhere in the UK as component parts or for repackaging prior to export are not counted as Scottish international exports, but credited to rUK. We effectively have a "Rotterdam effect" on trade within the UK.

More reason for Scotland to have its own high volume container ports. Independence would transform the likes of Methil.

Edited by git-intae-thum

10 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

However here is the caveat

ESS states: "ESS estimates only capture the first point of export. This means if a good is exported to a company in the rest of the UK and that company then exports it somewhere else, ESS will only capture the export to the rest of the UK.

Make from that what you will, but very few Scottish goods are exported directly from Scotland without transiting an rUK port. Scottish goods sent elsewhere in the UK as component parts or for repackaging prior to export are not counted as Scottish international exports, but credited to rUK. We effectively have a "Rotterdam effect" on trade within the UK.

More reason for Scotland to have its own high volume container ports. Independence would transform the likes of Methil.

Think it would take more than that to transform Methil.

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

You're right - no one wants a hard border with the ROI. That is absolutely true. Yet here we are just a few months away from a possible No Deal Brexit, which means no backstop and the return of a hard border at the EU's insistence. Do you really think that an Independent Scotland would be treated differently? This isn't a "narrative", it's reality. Maybe a hard border between the UK and the EU can still be avoided but no-one seems to have found the piece of technology that would satisfy the EU side and the "backstop" hasn't managed to make it through the UK parliament. 

You're also right that Scotland exports most of it's produce through ports in England which proves just how retarded the Nationalist argument for Independence from the UK really is. However I'm all for doing something with Methil - one of the biggest skid marks on Nicola Sturgeons briefs (her own constituency being another) 

The idea that it's better to have a hard border with 500m people rather than with 50m is just bizarre. 

The Scottish Government are well aware of the need for greatly increased container facilities on the east coast. They've had feasibility studies on the go for sometime. From what I've heard the preference is for the south shore of the Forth, (sorry, Methil) either to the west or east of Edinburgh. 

2 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

The idea that it's better to have a hard border with 500m people rather than with 50m is just bizarre. 

The Scottish Government are well aware of the need for greatly increased container facilities on the east coast. They've had feasibility studies on the go for sometime. From what I've heard the preference is for the south shore of the Forth, (sorry, Methil) either to the west or east of Edinburgh. 

Here we go again with Nationalists that can't read. 😒

Go back and read my posts again, just the one you quoted will do. At no point have I stated a preference for any hard border. You've absolutely made that up which is no surprise since lying is a nationalist trait! 

Edited by Malky3

9 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Here we go again with Nationalists that can't read. 😒

Go back and read my posts again, just the one you quoted will do. At no point have I stated a preference for any hard border. You've absolutely made that up which is no surprise since lying is a nationalist trait! 

Merely stating facts, chap.

At no point did I say that you'd stated anything.

You're right about lying though. It's British nationalist lies that have brought us close to the abyss of Brexit. 

Edited by Tibbermoresaint
More stuff

20 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Merely stating facts, chap.

At no point did I say that you'd stated anything.

You're right about lying though. It's British nationalist lies that have brought us close to the abyss of Brexit. 

What facts? Do you even know what a fact is? You stated your personal opinion on a statement that had never been made by anyone on this thread. You then followed that with a bit of gossip.