When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I can't get excited about the currency question. It's only a means of exchange after all. But I'd prefer one that's compatible with our EU membership so either our own or the Euro will be fine.

I don't have a view on the Spanish elections. I'm not a Spaniard.

Well said on both. My only difference is that aligning with the pound for a short time might make the transition simpler.

8 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Growing support for independence puts UK on edge

The future of the Union is in the balance, with 49 per cent of Scots intending to vote for independence, the first research undertaken since Nicola Sturgeon announced her plans for a second referendum has found.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/growing-support-for-independence-puts-uk-on-edge-tdl9m2hmh

I think we might just do it this time.

There's no doubt whatsoever in my mind if we hold in a referendum in the next year or eighteen months we'll definitely vote for independence.  Last time I, like all yes voters, knew it would be no.  This time it will definitely be yes.  But there's also no doubt the UK govt also know that, and definitely will not grant a section 30 order.  What happens after that is anyone's guess.  We would effectively be being held in the UK against our will at that point and our democracy being subverted by WM.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

I voted yes and thought it would be yes tbh.

I didn't.  I think if there was a currency union we'd have voted yes, and it was clearly a lie that they would refuse one.  They would have literally begged us for one within hours of a yes vote.  

Will that attitude comfort you when another resounding No vote is registered because people like you have learned nothing from 2014?
Like it or not, Yes has haemorrhaged some voters who would now plump for No. Even without this loss you still need to findna way of convincing a significant 6 figure number to swap from No to Yes. There has been absolutely no significant or sustained shift in the polls to think any differently.
If you truly believe that maintaining this attitude of yours is the way to go then perhaps you should reconsider who the abject simpleton's really are.
^ Tedious bore who never voted yes in 2014. To think I used to stick up for you... Sigh

15 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Ruth Davidson has given BBC Scotland an interview and told Brian Taylor that there isn't going to be an Indyref2. 

She's also announced that she hopes to be First Minister after the May 2021 Scottish Election.

:lol:

My word, to both.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Ruth Davidson has given BBC Scotland an interview and told Brian Taylor that there isn't going to be an Indyref2. 

She's also announced that she hopes to be First Minister after the May 2021 Scottish Election.

:lol:

Did she share any news about the Messiah? Perhaps the BBC secured cute pictures of our future saviour on par with those of the divine royal offspring?

Edited by Antlion

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Based on the polls, I would agree but the numbers are not sufficient to swing the result and we all know how unreliable polls are. I said, prior to 2014, that whoever wins must hit 60% to stop future challenges. I still believe that.

Leave is finding out right now how hard it is to finally get the Brexit they wanted when they only had a small margin of victory.

No is also finding out that even 55% isn't enough to settle it without constant rumblings of another vote.

I care more about one side winning emphatically than my particular side winning in both IndyRef2 and Brexit. At least then we can get on with making whatever decision is made, work.

Is there a precedent for a country voting for independence and then having a further vote?

Based on the polls, I would agree but the numbers are not sufficient to swing the result and we all know how unreliable polls are. I said, prior to 2014, that whoever wins must hit 60% to stop future challenges. I still believe that.
Leave is finding out right now how hard it is to finally get the Brexit they wanted when they only had a small margin of victory.
No is also finding out that even 55% isn't enough to settle it without constant rumblings of another vote.
I care more about one side winning emphatically than my particular side winning in both IndyRef2 and Brexit. At least then we can get on with making whatever decision is made, work.
Ignoring the fact that the government in charge of negotiating Leave is split down the middle idealogically over the issue, and dont have a sustainable majority to carry votes.

Will the SNP face this issue in the event of a Yes vote??

22 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I wonder how the yes voters who voted that way because they wanted to leave the EU break down politically?

This doesn’t really fully answer your question but just as a point- 33% of SNP voters, voted for Brexit.

Ignoring the fact that the government in charge of negotiating Leave is split down the middle idealogically over the issue, and dont have a sustainable majority to carry votes.

Will the SNP face this issue in the event of a Yes vote??

Pretty sure independence with EU membership is a clear SNP policy, anyone currently in the party hoping for otherwise is probably not paying attention.

Yes. There is a split about what currency to use.
Sturgeon has made strong claims about how bad a new currency would be if we push it at the start.
Now she has to persuade the rest of Scotland that a new currency early on is a good thing.
That is just one example.
The Yes side are split on all sorts of things.
There is no way this will be easy. Especially so if the vote is tight.
Will members of thr SNP be campaigning against the govts wishes fir a second referendum??

This is f**k all like Brexit which is the comparison you made.