When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, strichener said:

Your understanding of how a conversation works needs a little refinement, there was no twisting of the conversation.  I even quoted directly from the post that I disagreed with.  You on the other hand have attempted to draw comparisons between two different relationships as some justification of why Scotland in the EU would have a preferable representation than is currently the case in the UK.  An argument against which not a single person has voiced.

I see no need to answer any questions about the UK union when the conversation was about the EU.  

So why don't you answer this question: 

Would Scotland in the EU have an equal voice to Germany, France etc?

When did Scotland last use its veto in the EU?

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

"Equal voice" is a metaphor that cant really be qualified in any way.

A smaller nation will never have "as loud a voice" (again metaphorical) as a huge nation.

However, the difference between the two Unions is that in one, our voice can be and is routinely ignored.

In another, the holding of a veto means shitty voice metephors are irrelevant surely?

The stated aims of the EU is to remove the veto wherever possible and use qualified majority.  Currently the EU is trying to remove the veto from taxation policy.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-tax-policy-veto-scrap-european-commission-brexit-ireland-a8729396.html

31 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

We never were and anyone who fell for that rhetoric pre 2014 is an abject simpleton

I wouldn't call someone who looks at a decision they made and realises they were wrong a simpleton.  I'd argue a simpleton is someone who steadfastly stands by their decision despite evidence showing them otherwise. Can we stop antagonising people who are moving from No to Yes?

I wouldn't call someone who looks at a decision they made and realises they were wrong a simpleton.  I'd argue a simpleton is someone who steadfastly stands by their decision despite evidence showing them otherwise. Can we stop antagonising people who are moving from No to Yes?
If you read my post again..... You will clearly see that I didn't call no voters simpletons. I stated that people in Scotland who believed the UK was a family of equal nations before the 2014 referendum were abject simpletons. A basic understanding of maths in WM would dictate we certainly are not. Those who couldn't see this are clearly simpletons. No posturing changes this, it's quite a fact.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

If you read my post again..... You will clearly see that I didn't call no voters simpletons. I stated that people in Scotland who believed the UK was a family of equal nations before the 2014 referendum were abject simpletons. A basic understanding of maths in WM would dictate we certainly are not. Those who couldn't see this are clearly simpletons. No posturing changes this, it's quite a fact.

I understood your post just fine the first time, I just don't agree with you. The people who voted No under that pretence are voters we need to convince otherwise this time round.  Calling them simpletons probably isn't very endearing.

I understood your post just fine the first time, I just don't agree with you. The people who voted No under that pretence are voters we need to convince otherwise this time round.  Calling them simpletons probably isn't very endearing.
Well we'll have to disagree then. I stick to my point, anyone over the age of 16 (except those with learning difficulties) who doesn't understand basic maths are abject simpletons.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Well we'll have to disagree then. I stick to my point, anyone over the age of 16 (except those with learning difficulties) who doesn't understand basic maths are abject simpletons.

Basic maths and a political union of 4 nations aren't even remotely the same thing though. 

The stated aims of the EU is to remove the veto wherever possible and use qualified majority.  Currently the EU is trying to remove the veto from taxation policy.  
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-tax-policy-veto-scrap-european-commission-brexit-ireland-a8729396.html
They just have to get unanimity to implement it.

Growing support for independence puts UK on edge

The future of the Union is in the balance, with 49 per cent of Scots intending to vote for independence, the first research undertaken since Nicola Sturgeon announced her plans for a second referendum has found.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/growing-support-for-independence-puts-uk-on-edge-tdl9m2hmh

I think we might just do it this time.

The future of the Union is in the balance, with 49 per cent of Scots intending to vote for independence, the first research undertaken since Nicola Sturgeon announced her plans for a second referendum has found.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/growing-support-for-independence-puts-uk-on-edge-tdl9m2hmh

4 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
39 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Before the campaign's even started, yes.  We started with 29 last time.

I'm not expecting a massive swing either way for the time being. If anything the Brexit shambles will mean people will want answers this time on currency, pensions, oil, trade,etc. I was somewhat ignorant last time around basing my yes vote on the fact if we win we will manage just fine and everything will be alright. The whole hard border scenario is something I never thought about.

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
42 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I'm not expecting a massive swing either way for the time being. If anything the Brexit shambles will mean people will want answers this time on currency, pensions, oil, trade,etc. I was somewhat ignorant last time around basing my yes vote on the fact if we win we will manage just fine and everything will be alright. The whole hard border scenario is something I never thought about.

What hard border scenario?

14 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
53 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Tibbermoresaint has already asked and I'm also curious: what hard border scenario?