When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 minutes ago, The Chief said:

We've had two major referendums in this country within the last five years. Nicola Sturgeon refuses to abide by the outcome of either. Her arrogance and pig headedness is breathtaking.

Good point m8. The First Minister of SCOTLAND should totally ignore the fact that every single council constituency in SCOTLAND voted to REMAIN. Total arrogance like you said.

Clearly the correct course of action would be to tell SCOTLAND to shut up and toe the British line. That would be perfectly logical for the democratically elected Scottish National Party to do.

wiggo.png

Nothing really has changed in terms of where we are in terms of having indyref2

I fear this is just way of saying to those of us who are getting impatient “aye we’ll dae it but no yet” ahead of the SNP conference on Saturday 

Until they set a date for us to visit the polling station then it’s as you were 

1 hour ago, The Chief said:

We've had two major referendums in this country within the last five years. Nicola Sturgeon refuses to abide by the outcome of either. Her arrogance and pig headedness is breathtaking.

This is a very slightly greyish area. On one hand every constituency voted remain in 2016 but more people voted leave in 2016 than voted for the SNP in 2017

This is why a snap GE is necessary and for the SNP to gain back the lost seats just to put the avoidance of doubt from the naysayers to bed once and for all

Edited by RubixPubes

2 minutes ago, RubixPubes said:

This is a very slightly greyish area. On one hand every constituency voted remain in 2016 but more people voted leave in 2016 than voted for the SNP in 2017

This is why a snap GE is necessary and for the SNP to gain back the lost seats just to put the avoidance of doubt from the naysayers to bed once and for all

and even more people voted remain in 2016 than voted for the tories, labour, libdems, ukip... etc combined in 2017.

So why is a snap GE necessary?

35 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

and even more people voted remain in 2016 than voted for the tories, labour, libdems, ukip... etc combined in 2017.

So why is a snap GE necessary?

If there was a snap GE I think SNP would storm it. The other parties have proved themselves useless.

47 minutes ago, RubixPubes said:

I agree with you that it is in some ways a grey area. 

On the one hand I totally get that the majority of people in Scotland voted to remain in the EU and that the SNP wish to see that desire fulfilled. They also got elected on a manifesto that basically said they would push for a second Independence referendum if Scotland was taken out of the EU against it's will. 

On the other hand I think it is also perfectly legitimate to argue that Scotland voted in 2014 to remain part of the UK and as a consequence of that they must abide by the result of any UK wide referendum, even if the end result does not reflect how people in Scotland voted. 

I am not sure that a snap General Election would solve anything though. People vote differently in General Elections to how they vote in referendums. Especially when said referendums are on major constitutional issues. I think there are probably a fair number of people out there who are happy to lend the SNP their vote in a Holyrood or Westminster election but who would baulk at voting for Independence in a yes/no referendum.

My own personal reading of the Scottish political tea leaves is as follows:

Do the Scottish people wish to remain in the EU? Yes.

Do the Scottish people wish to remain part of the UK? Yes.

If confronted with the option of voting to remain part of the EU or part of the UK, which would they choose? The UK.

The whole discussion is probably irrelevant anyway. The UK are never going to properly leave the EU. That much has been obvious for a while. So it's a choice that will never have to be made in my opinion. 

Edited by The Chief

2 minutes ago, The Chief said:

On the other hand I think it is also perfectly legitimate to argue that Scotland voted in 2014 to remain part of the UK and as a consequence of that they must abide by the result of any UK wide referendum, even if the end result does not reflect how people in Scotland voted. 

This isn't remotely legitimate.

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Translation: we expect to lose our pro-independence majority in holyrood.

Or we have a mandate for a referendum in this parliament and plan to use it.  This is what Scotland voted for after all.

2 hours ago, The Chief said:

We've also had an election in which Scotland voted to hold an independence referendum in this parliament.  She is doing what the voters instructed her to do.  Scotland also voted remain, so she is abiding by their views too, and didn't declare independence after indyref1, so a fail all round for you I'm afraid.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm not unhappy they're doing it but really unless something budges on Brexit before then I think we'll lose again.

Support for remain in Scotland was 72% last week.  If its independence in the EU, which it will be, there's no danger we lose.  Imo guaranteed yes vote, that's why WM won't allow a vote as they know that too.  It will also become blindingly obvious that economically being out of the EU is hugely damaging.

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

Support for remain in Scotland was 72% last week.  If its independence in the EU, which it will be, there's no danger we lose.  Imo guaranteed yes vote, that's why WM won't allow a vote as they know that too.  It will also become blindingly obvious that economically being out of the EU is hugely damaging.

Being out of the EU will most certainly be economically damaging but will we actually leave? if we don't will there still be indyref2 ?  I don't see much has changed from the FM'S statement today. her hands are tied until Westminster sort their shit out.