When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, sjc said:

If English companies are buying our goods and selling them on outwith the UK for a profit then we're not getting true market value for these goods.

Perhaps not. But exporting the goods directly could incur greater costs, which outweigh the benefit of getting the true market value.

This Unionist 180 from neverendum to shitebag Sturgeon patter is pretty transparent stuff. The political party/individuals that they (and arguably most of Britain) recently viewed only as idealistic reactionaries are widely being talked up as the most sensible and capable politicians on this island and they don't like it one bit. Meanwhile, with Britain finally beginning to collapse in on the weight of its own regional economic inequality and unsustainably varied regional/national interests, the only people even asking to run the place are a mix of clowns and obviously evil b*****ds. 

Even the staunchest opponents of the SNP must secretly acknowledge that Sturgeon's political star has risen in recent months and that she is increasingly being viewed as something of stateswoman. If we go with the idea that she doesn't want to campaign for Independence then Unionists have even more to worry about, given the amount of international speculation about something nobody in a position of political leadership is apparently interested in.

I don't even know where I stand anymore on the timing of a second referendum. All I know for certain is that the Unionists who want Sturgeon to chuck a grenade into Brexit right now are absolutely shiting themselves.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

1 hour ago, BawWatchin said:

Perhaps not. But exporting the goods directly could incur greater costs, which outweigh the benefit of getting the true market value.

Carriage is usually passed on to the buyer.

6 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Tweeting pish like this, eh? Pretty focused on the day job, I'd say -

"Tonight, 12 of the 27 EU member states that will decide the UK’s future have populations smaller than or similar in size to Scotland’s. If we become independent we get to sit at that table - enjoying the same solidarity shown to Ireland - instead of being sidelined by Westminster"

Yes. It’s pish

Put words into action give us the chance to vote for our birthright in a referendum which she has a mandate to use but seems too chicken hearted to act upon 

Edited by RubixPubes

12 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

Considering Labour are less popular than the Conservatives in Scotland, why would the SNP not call for an independence referendum in the event of a Labour Government?

An unarguable point for independence is that we get stuck with Tory governments when we never vote them in.  That would no longer apply.

4 hours ago, RubixPubes said:

Yes. It’s pish

Put words into action give us the chance to vote for our birthright in a referendum which she has a mandate to use but seems too chicken hearted to act upon 

Why do you think that is? 

This Unionist 180 from neverendum to shitebag Sturgeon patter is pretty transparent stuff. The political party/individuals that they (and arguably most of Britain) recently viewed only as idealistic reactionaries are widely being talked up as the most sensible and capable politicians on this island and they don't like it one bit. Meanwhile, with Britain finally beginning to collapse in on the weight of its own regional economic inequality and unsustainably varied regional/national interests, the only people even asking to run the place are a mix of clowns and obviously evil b*****ds. 
Even the staunchest opponents of the SNP must secretly acknowledge that Sturgeon's political star has risen in recent months and that she is increasingly being viewed as something of stateswoman. If we go with the idea that she doesn't want to campaign for Independence then Unionists have even more to worry about, given the amount of international speculation about something nobody in a position of political leadership is apparently interested in.
I don't even know where I stand anymore on the timing of a second referendum. All I know for certain is that the Unionists who want Sturgeon to chuck a grenade into Brexit right now are absolutely shiting themselves.
Yeah this is a good assessment for me. I reasily admit in my younger days I never liked Sturgeon, but she has grown into her role as leader admirably and is a shining example of how politics should and can be, free from the rhetoric and posturing we see from May and Corbyn and so many others.

I also agree with you that the growing unease she instills in the yoons is class to watch. She is a different animal and come the time for campaigning to start she will absolutely school those who stand agaisnt her.

Whether its enough for a Yes vote or not I dont know, but it will be fantastic to watch her absolutely skelp the "big guns" of Westminster whilst they fall over themselves trying to convince us that Indy is a foolish move whilst staying true to their Brexit aims.

12 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Not even that. If the idea of Scottish independence is normalised to the hegemonic forces in British society, then they won't necessarily oppose it the way they did last time.

Capital will always be loyal to the larger market. If the UK government opposses independence then business will follow their line.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Capital will always be loyal to the larger market. If the UK government opposses independence then business will follow their line.

Surely an indy Scotland in the EU would be the larger market than an rUK running around like headless chickens trying to get trade deals one at a time?

12 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

If the UK government are sure of getting a good deal with the EU, then there should be no worries about an independent Scotland trading with the rUK.

No - the UK and its Little Englander supporters want to argue that an independent Scotland choosing the EU would be cutting off trade with its largest trading partner, whilst simultaneously arguing that the UK outside of the EU will continue trading freely with all EU nations. The failed PM occasionally makes both of these contradictory arguments in the same PMQs.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

An independent Scotland that's pro-business and in the EU will get favoured over a Corbyn UK government even if McDonnell's economic plans seem eminently reasonable. I don't think that's a controversial take. 

5 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

An unarguable point for independence is that we get stuck with Tory governments when we never vote them in.  That would no longer apply.

But we'd also be stuck with a Labour Government that we didn't vote in.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

I agree. So they will surely favour full market access with the EU over the UK.

1 minute ago, sjc said:

According to ScotGov figures, trade between Scotland and:

rUK 77%

EU 15%

RoW 8%

Hence my post the other day questioning Scotland's logistical capacity to deal with exports.

Yes, we're all well aware of this issue. I brought this up with a few yoon MPs a while back who were giving the "4x larger market" shite. When I asked them what those figures would look like if all Scottish exports left Scottish ports instead of English ports, they couldn't give any proper response.