When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ach I can sort of get what oaksoft is about. Having lived for a decent spell in England, there is something self defeating in the Scottish psyche that just isn't there in the English psyche. It isn't something you can easily pin down to specific things but I definitely noticed it on my return to Scotland.

I think the idea this negativity would go to be replaced by confidence would vanish the first time SNP control is lost in the Scottish parliament. It'll only come with independence & why I take a dim view of holding fire on the starting gun till 60% yes polls, it won't happen excepting in a disruptive hard Brexit.

I agree with this. I believe independence would go along way to removing the chip on shoulder, self loathing defeatist phyche in Scotland. It's absolutely rife..

2 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Doubt there will be any announcement of indyref2 until the Salmond case comes to an end to avoid any distractions.

After what's happened at Westminster over the last couple of years people have become totally desensitised   to  politics in general. Salmond case won't be as big a stooshie as many are hoping it will be.

15 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
17 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
It's hard to deal with this kind of stupidity because it's just unfathomable:
D3c5-gMUYAE-DCm.jpg&key=b4d0cf0e97d920cbd415e54179f87e9f3ff178a1009f99422402016cff275957

Get it on the fucking bus

Brexit becoming a farce thread for this pish.

You of all people should know that.

He went on to lose me with his usual brand of part Daily Mail letters page, part motivational speaker pish but I was almost tempted to agree with Oaksoft that there are plenty of folk who come across as a bit naieve when it comes to the reality of Independence.

The first days of Independence wouldn’t be a picnic and the hard work would really start there. I’d rather that though. Between slightly deluded nationalist happy clapper types and cringing unionists, I don’t think the current set-up produces a particularly healthy national psyche all round.

On 06/04/2019 at 09:37, Donathan said:

Quite.

He seems to change his political beliefs more than Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh

I’d rather have someone open to new ideas and not set in their auld mans way just because “my faither voted for X, Y or Z”

Someone who has an open mind is to be applauded in my book

There is nothing worse than a zealot and by Christ our great wee nation is full of the fuckers, on both sides of the Yes/No divide I may add 

On 4/5/2019 at 21:01, MixuFixit said:

Ach I can sort of get what oaksoft is about. Having lived for a decent spell in England, there is something self defeating in the Scottish psyche that just isn't there in the English psyche. It isn't something you can easily pin down to specific things but I definitely noticed it on my return to Scotland.

I think the idea this negativity would go to be replaced by confidence would vanish the first time SNP control is lost in the Scottish parliament. It'll only come with independence & why I take a dim view of holding fire on the starting gun till 60% yes polls, it won't happen excepting in a disruptive hard Brexit.

I've seen elements of this too and not just the self defeating part of the psyche.  I worked with a Scottish company back at the turn of the century and we merged with an equal sized but poorer performing English company.

During the first round of high level job announcements, it was apparent that most were going to those from the English company.  It became such an issue that HR had to give guidance to the Scottish employees along the lines of... during your interviews, make sure you take personal credit for any work you reference.  Apparently there were a lot of "us" and "we achieved" from the Scots but much more of the "I did" or "I was responsible for" from their English counterparts. 

The culture from the English company was very much focus on yourself, whereas the Scottish firm was all about being part of the team.  Comments were made about the Scots lacking that confidence to push themselves forward for fear of appearing to squash their colleagues.  

We are culturally different from the English in lots of ways and I think this has become more and more apparent through the Brexit mess.  I agree that Independence would bring out our confidence and self belief but fear that we need these traits in order to get Independence in the first place.  It's a question of timing.

On 05/04/2019 at 17:57, Detournement said:

I can't believe that there are people who actually believe Sturgeon is going to call a referendum in the next 12 months.

She has no interest in Indyref2.

On 06/04/2019 at 10:55, The Skelpit Lug said:

That's quite a statement. Just a feeling, a wish, or are you an in-the-know trusted SNP adviser? 

He doesn't have a clue and is looking for a reaction to fill up time in his day. Best to ignore H_B. 

29 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

*shudder*

recognised myself in that. I'm going to be an uncomfortably arrogant blowhard in my next job interview and see if it gets results!

Aye, like wise.

Also, the cringe as well! There's a massive amount of people who are almost embarrassed at being Scottish. Equally being super proud of being Scottish gives me the cringe a bit too ; but there's a fine line between both.

If the handling of Brexit by Westminister isn't enough to see Scots that we could (and for the most part ) run our place/region/country better than the UK government then I don't see if anything will (for the next 20 years or so).

IMO the Scottish Government if it's serious about Independence, should be doing all it can to upgrade the Country's infrastructure before even thinking about a 2nd Referendum.

According to the Scottish governments own figures, 77% of our exports go to England, Wales or Northern Ireland. I refuse to believe that this is were all those goods terminate. (It doesn't bear thinking about if it is their final destination!) This suggests that we (sic) don't have the port or airport capacity to get our goods to their final destinations, which leaves us vulnerable to exploitation and/or not getting true value for our goods. 

This is where we as a Nation should start.

A fully thought through plan for currency to prevent QE issues if required also needs to be addressed.

1 hour ago, sjc said:

IMO the Scottish Government if it's serious about Independence, should be doing all it can to upgrade the Country's infrastructure before even thinking about a 2nd Referendum.

According to the Scottish governments own figures, 77% of our exports go to England, Wales or Northern Ireland. I refuse to believe that this is were all those goods terminate. (It doesn't bear thinking about if it is their final destination!) This suggests that we (sic) don't have the port or airport capacity to get our goods to their final destinations, which leaves us vulnerable to exploitation and/or not getting true value for our goods. 

This is where we as a Nation should start.

A fully thought through plan for currency to prevent QE issues if required also needs to be addressed.

Great idea.

It's about time they whipped out that infrastructure fund they had tucked away somewhere.

On 4/6/2019 at 10:55, The Skelpit Lug said:

That's quite a statement. Just a feeling, a wish, or are you an in-the-know trusted SNP adviser? 

It's just my reading of the situation. Sturgeon barely talks about the benefits of independence in comparison with her obsession with the UK remaining in the EU. She appears at People's Vote events but is nowhere to be seen at independence events. The Growth Commission looked like a deliberate attempt to throw cold water on the clamour for Indyref2. The clock is ticking on this Parliament and there is no clear route to a referendum before May 2021.

Sturgeon herself just doesn't seem like the person who is going to push through independence. She has a public sector/civil service mentality rather than that of someone who is going to change paradigms. She seems very comfy in Holyrood and close to UK civil servants. Leslie Evans isn't going survive an inquiry into the Salmond investigation but she remains Permanent Secretary when she should be on gardening leave at best. She clearly prioritises her position in the UK state over the fight for independence.

24 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Great idea.

It's about time they whipped out that infrastructure fund they had tucked away somewhere.

If you can't get your goods to market, you've not got a business. Scotland has 1 commercial airport that can take a 747 (not even an A380!)..... Prestwick. Fucking Prestwick! Additionally, No motorway links to Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness, Stranraer, Scrabster and even Newcastle Ports.

You carry on hoping for the best but unless this square is circled independence will remain out of reach.

If you can't get your goods to market, you've not got a business. Scotland has 1 commercial airport that can take a 747 (not even an A380!)..... Prestwick. Fucking Prestwick! Additionally, No motorway links to Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness, Stranraer, Scrabster and even Newcastle Ports.
You carry on hoping for the best but unless this square is circled independence will remain out of reach.
Doesn't Glasgow take A380s. I'm sure Prestwick will be able to as well.