When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Whatif said:

So we are looking at a graph of 3 estimates, Lower Estimate. Best Estimate and Upper estimate and nothing actually factual. You have no idea how crime is recorded and the steps being taken to avoid recording it and this can easily equate to the reduction in officers who are actually on the street.  Rather than have an officer call on a victim, the victim is asked to phone in the crime, which costs the victim, or go along to the office if they can find one open

1/ It's from Humza Yousaf, who certainly does know how crime is recorded. This is a separate set of stats for crime experienced.

2/There are 17,180 police officers in Scotland, a reduction of a whole 86 since the end of 2017.  Given a 42% reduction in crime experienced since 2008/9 I'm sure you'll agree that's not unreasonable.

3/You'll have some proof for this state of affairs that isn't something you saw on Facebook, I'm sure.

1/ It's from Humza Yousaf, who certainly does know how crime is recorded. This is a separate set of stats for crime experienced.
2/There are 17,180 police officers in Scotland, a reduction of a whole 86 since the end of 2017.  Given a 42% reduction in crime experienced since 2008/9 I'm sure you'll agree that's not unreasonable.
3/You'll have some proof for this state of affairs that isn't something you saw on Facebook, I'm sure.

Crime is down, scottish crime recording standards mean its not really possible to fail to document crime, ie you phone the police and report a crime as having been committed its recorded as such. However the demand on police to pick up the strain of other services, mental health, acting as ambulance drivers and doing social works job when kids go missing from care etc has never been higher.

4 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Difficult one for the Beeb this.

The editorial solution for distorting Scotland could be: 

"It has been alleged that solicitors practicing criminal law in Scotland are facing a shortage of work. This being as a result of policies being pusued by the Scottish govt."

:lol:

Not impossible. You only need to think back to Foulkes "yes but they're doing it on purpose" response to the SNP delivering better outcomes for Scotland than the wider UK has experienced. 

22 hours ago, Detournement said:

If there's a downward trend in crime it's down to less kids being outside and the reduction in footfall to pubs and clubs than anything Police Scotland have done.

I presume the downward trend is exactly replicated in rUK then?

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

England has different demographic pressures than Scotland. You can't compare the two.

A wee bit narked that you're happy to chuck out an unsubstantiated reason for the decline in Scotland's crime figures; happier still to cite 'demographic pressures' to suggest we shouldn't compare with another jurisdiction to better gauge our police's performance. It's as if you don't want Scotland to be shown in a positive light at any cost.

But I don't understand your thinking. If you're saying – and you don't make this clear – that England's population growth makes comparison unfair – then read the stats. They show crimes and offences recorded per head of population over time. In other words, they take into account demography as far as population goes. Any similar statistical publication would do that. It's how you compare. How can you not know this?

So I don't see your point unless you're making an oblique reference to other demographic factors such as immigration. In which case I'd expect you to start to show some evidence.

Edited by Mr Heliums

25 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Nonsense.

Since 1990 the population of England has increased by 18%. In the same period the population of Scotland has increased by 6%. This causes completely different pressures on services and infrastructure.

There is nowhere in Scotland that is comparable to the big urban centres in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Since 1990 the population of England has increased by 18%. In the same period the population of Scotland has increased by 6%. This causes completely different pressures on services and infrastructure.

There is nowhere in Scotland that is comparable to the big urban centres in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool.

More nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

A wee bit narked that you're happy to chuck out an unsubstantiated reason for the decline in Scotland's crime figures; happier still to cite 'demographic pressures' to suggest we shouldn't compare with another jurisdiction to better gauge our police's performance. It's almost as if you don't want Scotland to be shown in a positive light.

That's fine, of course. But I don't understand your thinking. If you're saying – and you don't make this clear – that England's population growth makes comparison unfair – then read the stats. They show crimes and offences recorded per head of population over time. In other words, they take into account demography as far as population goes. Any similar statistical publication would do that. It's how you compare. 

So I don't see your point about demographic pressures. Unless you're making an oblique reference to other demographic factors such as immigration. In which case I'd expect you to start to show some evidence.

He's an arsehole