When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just to be clear here, anyone who would prefer from an economic or political perspective that they'd rather we all paid more for our health care but less for our alcohol is a moron. 

Yeah. Even the idea of giving something you have up because you work and can afford it is incredibly stupid. Like, unbelievably stupid.

Sort of akin to having a free canteen at work then shrugging your shoulders when they take it away because its only a few quid. Anyone who lacks the knowledge to see what things like that actually represent are dangerous.

Erosion of universal benefits always starts the same way.

"I work hard and don't use this service. Why am I being taxed to pay for something I don't use?"

It is college boy libertarianism and needs nipping in the bud every time it rears its head.

These people strangely always stop short of defining or even suggesting what they will receive in recompense of surrendering the service. Government are fantastic at taking and not giving.

Give up absolutely nothing. Offer up absolutely nothing.

Erosion of universal benefits always starts the same way.

"I work hard and don't use this service. Why am I being taxed to pay for something I don't use?"

It is college boy libertarianism and needs nipping in the bud every time it rears its head.

So much this, where does it end?I don't have kids, so why should I pay for schools ? I can afford it, so I'll pay for a visit to A+E, dentist, prescriptions, eye tests etc. Universal benefits should ensure that no one slips through the cracks, and those that can afford it do pay, unless of course you happen to be a shitbag Tory Govt. introducing it.

15 hours ago, AyrExile said:

As you’re a bumpkin I wouldn’t be surprised if you paid more than a £5 difference at certain times of the year 

So, you've gone from  <<I’m not happy about paying  £5 more for a bottle of whisky than someone in Carlisle>> to <<a person from a rural town might pay more than £5 difference for a really big bottle of whisky at certain times of the year>> in the space of a couple of pages on P'n'B?

No wonder folk laugh at you.

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Michael Gray spotting something that will be important down the road:

This is all very important. The FM has been doing what I would expect her to do in these circumstances. She's now spoke to at least 3 out of the top 5 nations Scotland exports goods to in the last wee while.

Good groundwork laying for what's to come. 

36 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

This is all very important. The FM has been doing what I would expect her to do in these circumstances. She's now spoke to at least 3 out of the top 5 nations Scotland exports goods to in the last wee while.

Good groundwork laying for what's to come. 

Aye.....but what about the currency.

Cmon FM and SNP.

NAIL IT!!

8 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, you've gone from  <<I’m not happy about paying  £5 more for a bottle of whisky than someone in Carlisle>> to <<a person from a rural town might pay more than £5 difference for a really big bottle of whisky at certain times of the year>> in the space of a couple of pages on P'n'B?

No wonder folk laugh at you.

Not sure you should be laughing at others when you need to distort quotes to make a point. The bottle size hasn’t moved from a bottle to a really big bottle. I get to travel all over the country with my work and quite often buy lunch from the local shops. In Lochgilphead and many other rural places the supermarkets seem to hike prices and don’t offer the same deals as you would find when more competition in the area 

11 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Not sure you should be laughing at others when you need to distort quotes to make a point. The bottle size hasn’t moved from a bottle to a really big bottle. I get to travel all over the country with my work and quite often buy lunch from the local shops. In Lochgilphead and many other rural places the supermarkets seem to hike prices and don’t offer the same deals as you would find when more competition in the area 

So, where do I start with this? This will be a long post, so theres a TL:DR summary at the end.

Firstly, you suggest that I "distort quotes to make a point". You'll not find any quotation marks in my previous post, because I paraphrased what you had previously said, rather than directly quoting from numerous quotes.

I used <<text>> to indicate that I was paraphrasing. Had I quoted you, I would have used "text".

Secondly, I would remind you that your original allegation said (and I quote the relevant part with emphasis) "What I’m not happy about is paying extra tax or £5 more for a bottle of whisky than someone in Carlisle"

I pointed out that a standard sized bottle was 700 ml. You replied "It was a 1 litre bottle I was referring to earlier"

I could go into tedious detail about the UK Weights & Measures Act and prescribed spirits quantity legislation, but I'll just content myself with pointing out that the bottle you're referring to is nearly 43% larger than a standard bottle. Accordingly, I feel completely justified in referring to it as a "really big bottle" when comparing it with a standard UK bottle.

With regard to your point about rural places hiking prices, I would make 2 points. Firstly, this has absolutely nothing to do with the minimum alcohol prices set by the Scottish Government, and secondly, that you are talking nonsense again. As I previously showed, a 1 litre bottle of Bells costs £19.50 from Tesco Online in England. I said that they would charge £20 in Scotland and offered you a bet. I note that you showed no interest in taking me up on that bet.

I've not been in the Lochgilphead Tesco in the last couple of days, but have been in the local Co-Op. Here's my proof that you can get a litre bottle of crappy Bells or Co-op own brand Scotch for £20. The picture was taken earlier tonight.

I would also point out one more fact. If a litre bottle of whisky was priced at £15 in Carlisle, that would mean that the VAT exclusive price would be £12.50. (£12.50 +20% VAT + £15.00)

The excise duties on a litre of 40% ABV whisky are currently £11.50. That means that your £15 bottle of whisky costs £1.00 before tax. That includes manufacturing, storage, bottling, transporting & the producer & retailer profit margins. That doesn't seem to be a sustainable business model to me.

So, to conclude, I think that I've demonstrated quite conclusively that £20 bottles of whisky in Lochgilphead cost £19.50 in Carlisle, not £15 as you have previously claimed

TL:DR: AyrExile is talking sh*te

20190219_184610.jpg

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Youbreallynwent to the bother of taking a picture in a shop of the price of alcohol so that you could make a point on P&B.  What a sad life.

Yep, I'm sad enough to believe that I should offer up some proof instead of making unsupported assertations. Certain other posters would do well to follow my example instead of making up sh*te.

Youbreallynwent to the bother of taking a picture in a shop of the price of alcohol so that you could make a point on P&B.  What a sad life.
How much bother do you imagine it was to him? I can retract my phone from my pocket, open the camera from the lock screen and press the button within about 3 seconds.