When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are the Gradualists in the SNP  holding back the Yes movement or are they right to be cautious on indyref2? 

We have people like Andrew Wilson for instance. He's saying we should adopt a softly, softly approach and kick the can down the road until we know we would win.

Should we go all guns blazing as we have the possibility of a chaotic Brexit, a calamitous Tory party tearing itself apart, a dud opposition leader in Corbyn, a Labour party tearing itself apart?

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Are the Gradualists in the SNP  holding back the Yes movement or are they right to be cautious on indyref2? 

We have people like Andrew Wilson for instance. He's saying we should adopt a softly, softly approach and kick the can down the road until we know we would win.

Should we go all guns blazing as we have the possibility of a chaotic Brexit, a calamitous Tory party tearing itself apart, a dud opposition leader in Corbyn, a Labour party tearing itself apart?

I'm of the opinion that we need to wait until the decision on Brexit. 

If IndyRef2 isn't called in the event of a no deal then to put it mildly I would be more than a touch disappointed

52 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

If IndyRef2 isn't called in the event of a no deal then to put it mildly I would be more than a touch disappointed

This, a no-deal brexit is the quickest way to independence. 

Was round at my folks the other day and the news was on in the background, after another Theresa May fiasco my step-dad announced he's done with Westminster rule and will be voting yes next time.  Something I never thought I'd hear him say, although my mum is still a no voting fud who believes everything she hears from the mainstream media.

8 hours ago, Loondave1 said:

Does Nicola have to literally kick a can down the road,film it and distribute it through the usual mediums before the penny drops with some people on here ?

Only if the film starred the dugs from Look Who's Talking Now

22 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Will TM allow it, though? Don't we need  'permission' from our masters to have a referendum? She knocked Sturgeon back just after the brexit ref.

Edited by cyderspaceman

Will TM allow it, though? Don't we need  'permission' from our masters to have a referendum? She knocked Sturgeon back just after the brexit ref.
If there is a No Deal Brexit or a Hard Brexit then the first step would be to have a section 30 order - I'm sure the Greens would back that as before.

If May denies it then the SNP and the Greens should vote for fresh Scottish Elections with both parties having an explicit commitment to IndyRef2.

Obviously the hard Unionist vote would gravitate to the Tories - it's where the softer Labour vote went that matters - I know a lot of Labour folk who are completely dissatisfied with their stance on Brexit.

Can't see any other route to IndyRef2.

Hold a 'consultative' referendum with the same level of binding legal force as the EU referendum. If the will of the people has to be respected in one, it surely has to be in the other. If some Yoons decide not to participate to withhold legitimacy then all the better, I still think we'd get a 60%+ turnout.

19 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

The $64000  question.

If she doesn't, which I accept is a distinct possibility given her showing on Brexit, then IMO she's a fool. There is a democratic mandate to hold another vote and circumstances will have changed sufficiently to justify it. As stated above, just have another vote at Holyrood to ensure the will of parliament is still there, which it will be. If she still digs her heels in then 'Grievance Politics' will be ramped up to Warp Factor 10.

If now isn't the time Theresa...when is?

Edited by I'm Brian

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If there is a No Deal Brexit or a Hard Brexit then the first step would be to have a section 30 order - I'm sure the Greens would back that as before.

If May denies it then the SNP and the Greens should vote for fresh Scottish Elections with both parties having an explicit commitment to IndyRef2.

Obviously the hard Unionist vote would gravitate to the Tories - it's where the softer Labour vote went that matters - I know a lot of Labour folk who are completely dissatisfied with their stance on Brexit.

Can't see any other route to IndyRef2.

Going by the current mood any Scottish elections based on independence could see Sturgeon lose her day job never an independence mandate. The silent majority would pick the best horse in each area to stop that happening