When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

what about the hard border potential now between Scotland and England, how can we continue to trade with England without having a hard border (if an Indy Scotland was in the EU). This situation would probably ramp up the No vote.

Genuine question.

If Scotland is in the EU, we will continue to trade with England/rUK on exactly the same terms as the rest of our EU colleagues. The Leavers all appear to believe that they will have frictionless borders with other EU members - how could they get away with saying that  the border with Scotland be different?

55 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Genuine question.

If Scotland is in the EU, we will continue to trade with England/rUK on exactly the same terms as the rest of our EU colleagues. The Leavers all appear to believe that they will have frictionless borders with other EU members - how could they get away with saying that  the border with Scotland be different?

I’ve saying this for years now. May and her BritNat cronies say in the same breath that Brexit UK will continue to trade freely with the EU, but that Scotland choosing independence in the EU will mean turning its back on its biggest market, the UK. These two propositions are mutually incompatible. No one ever points that out (and that includes the SNP). 

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Unless there is substantial shift in May's (and Corbyn's) stance then the Brexit deal (or No Deal) is going to be shit.  

It will be clear that Scottish interests have been completely ignored at every stage of the debate.

IndyRef2 will happen if there is hard Brexit - as it stands I just can't see there being anything else because of the two intransigent arseholes leading the 2 front benches.

Anything other than No Deal will secure the union in some regard from a major economic, and potentially social, crisis. So either the SNP can hope for an accelerationist drive for indy that happens almost by default, or they can take the plunge and try and forcefully argue the case for independence regardless. I would be amazed if we exit without a deal and if we don't then all of this constant reification of Sturgeon's, and the SNP's, expert political ability will be seriously tested if they have to argue the case for independence outwith the scenario of being the successor EU state. Basically anything where the SNP aren't the only people in the lifeboat as the SS United Kingdom sinks to the bottom of the Channel.

Anything other than No Deal will secure the union in some regard from a major economic, and potentially social, crisis. So either the SNP can hope for an accelerationist drive for indy that happens almost by default, or they can take the plunge and try and forcefully argue the case for independence regardless. I would be amazed if we exit without a deal and if we don't then all of this constant reification of Sturgeon's, and the SNP's, expert political ability will be seriously tested if they have to argue the case for independence outwith the scenario of being the successor EU state. Basically anything where the SNP aren't the only people in the lifeboat as the SS United Kingdom sinks to the bottom of the Channel.
If the deal is shit and completely ignores Scottish interests then I think they have no option but to go for IndyRef2.

Most Scots don't have the first idea about Scottish interests. By that I mean news reporting does not discuss for example industry sector performance in any sort of regular way.  

Winter wrecks our roads more than rUK. Scots like potholes filling right? How many Scots know most of our bitumen arrives in Dundee from Sweden? Will that continue unimpeded post brexit? Has this ever made it onto BBC news?

Don't get me wrong I agree with your sentiment but SNP should be pumping out info like this in short videos. They aren't because they're rubbish at short messaging.

I think they have been pushing the Westminster ignores Scotland agenda - it doesn't matter what those Scottish interests are - it's the fact that our politicians - on all sides - are being ignored. Keep pointing out how ineffectual Fluffy is - how many times has he promised to resign and not done it?

I agree that it's the day-to-day things that can help grab attention - I saw a lot of these kinds of message during the first Indy campaign - I would suspect there would be more of this over another sustained campaign.

For me the key message is that Westminster isn't a democracy and to keep shouting it from the rooftops.

13 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Most Scots don't have the first idea about Scottish interests. By that I mean news reporting does not discuss for example industry sector performance in any sort of regular way.

Winter wrecks our roads more than rUK. Scots like potholes filling right? How many Scots know most of our bitumen arrives in Dundee from Sweden? Will that continue unimpeded post brexit? Has this ever made it onto BBC news?

Don't get me wrong I agree with your sentiment but SNP should be pumping out info like this in short videos. They aren't because they're rubbish at short messaging.

Indeed, we get wee Bertie bigging up a few families with boats, Subarus and habits.

Meanwhile, grown up stuff like this at 01:08:50 in is ignored.

7 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

It is the right subject but the wrong message. I have spoken about it before but the issue of UK gov diverting £160million in EU farming subsidy from Scotland failed to make much of a mark because it failed to tell a story. Nobody gave a f**k because nobody connects it to a real world consequence, because nobody knows a farmer.

Where was a short video introducing Farmer Smith who has had to lay off worker Brown and can't pay feed supplier Jones so is selling off land he has farmed his whole life? Where was the easy to follow injustice of it all?

Instead, because its cheap, some researcher figured out the discrepancy and this let Mike Russell go on the radio sounding annoyed. This might look good in a media evaluation meeting at SNP HQ but it is not enough.

Off point I know, but I know and have dealt with loads of the fuckers over the years. The majority of them are the lowest of the fucking low, money grabbing, self serving fuckers,  that have ever been shat into civilisation. They have a sense of entitlement that would put the Royals to shame. 

Boo fucking hoo to the lot of them. Your business is struggling...welcome to the real fucking world. So are loads of businesses. 

They vote Tory en masse. The Tories diverting their money away is poetic justice. You would think they would change their voting habits, but they will carry on voting for them regardless.

In short : f**k em. 

2 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Off point I know, but I know and have dealt with loads of the fuckers over the years. The majority of them are the lowest of the fucking low, money grabbing, self serving fuckers,  that have ever been shat into civilisation. They have a sense of entitlement that would put the Royals to shame. 

Boo fucking hoo to the lot of them. Your business is struggling...welcome to the real fucking world. So are loads of businesses. 

They vote Tory en masse. The Tories diverting their money away is poetic justice. You would think they would change their voting habits, but they will carry on voting for them regardless.

In short : f**k em. 

Landowning farmers are, without exception, selfish arseholes of the highest order. We have quite a few in Angus and needless to say plenty of them had Kirstene Hair billboards up in the 2017 elections. Despite her complete idiocy she's still quite popular with them, probably because she wants to scrap the minimum wage for farm workers. I've had to deal with quite a few enquiries from folk renting houses on their land, and some of the practices employed and the state of the properties is an utter disgrace. It'll be utterly wonderful if brexit results in some of these c***s going to the wall. 

I also sincerely hope that when they go cap in hand to the Scottish Government for financial support they are told in no uncertain terms to f**k off. 

We've discussed this before, Philip - your audience wants to see dogs.

Although this did bring back memories of the old Scotch ads, so it's a pass mark from the Alloa judge.

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We've discussed this before, Philip - your audience wants to see dogs.

Although this did bring back memories of the old Scotch ads, so it's a pass mark from the Alloa judge.

If I recall correctly, there was a Scotch videotape advert featuring Archie the Skeleton and his dog.

I'm assuming that this is just a teaser. Skeletondog will be giving us his words of wisdom in Phil's next great contribution.

Don't let us down, Phil. Keep up the good work.