When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

816 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
22 hours ago, ancientnoise said:
Christ. Where to start with that response?
Drinking so much gin in the morning isn't good for you mate.

Just ignore the puddle drinker.

Philyerpants isn't the puddle-drinker.

L4L/Donny is the b*****d step-child od Albert Einstein/Stephen Hawking compared to him.

This is slightly unrelated, but I was speaking to someone the other week who claimed it's illegal to fly a saltire outside your house all year round.  Apparently, it's only allowed on special occasions (like St Andrew's Day) and it's only the Union Flag that's allowed to be flown all year round as it's the official flag of the country (in this case the UK).  I'd never heard of this before, but it sounded like nonsense to me.  Anyone else heard of this?

19 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

This is slightly unrelated, but I was speaking to someone the other week who claimed it's illegal to fly a saltire outside your house all year round.  Apparently, it's only allowed on special occasions (like St Andrew's Day) and it's only the Union Flag that's allowed to be flown all year round as it's the official flag of the country (in this case the UK).  I'd never heard of this before, but it sounded like nonsense to me.  Anyone else heard of this?

Wiki comes to the rescue. As far as I know there are no rules for private citizens although you might get into a bit of bother flying the ISIS flag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Scotland#Protocol

53 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

How very colonial.  Scotland has been the target of cultural suppression from London for centuries.  Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Its one of these half truths, the Lion Rampant is apparently only allowed to be flown with the permission of the queen as it’s a royal standard etc, the reality of it is that its an archaic point of order and in no way an actual crime. I think your friend was just mixed up.

7 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

You can fly when she says so. GSTQ.

gettyimages-618569182-1-1524568183.jpg

Its one of these half truths, the Lion Rampant is apparently only allowed to be flown with the permission of the queen as it’s a royal standard etc, the reality of it is that its an archaic point of order and in no way an actual crime. I think your friend was just mixed up.
It's about like that shenanigans with the illegal badges for certain teams.

I was astounded when we got grassed up by an Airdrie and actually had to change. I couldn't believe a modicum of sensibility was used to get the whole thing in the sea.

I was astounded when we got grassed up by an Airdrie and actually had to change. I couldn't believe a modicum of sensibility was used to get the whole thing in the sea.
Nothing that Airdrie do would astound me mate

What did they do? Sorry never heard of this before? Airdrie Utd and its fans are a shower of shite.

What did they do? Sorry never heard of this before? Airdrie Utd and its fans are a shower of shite.

Really?

Some football badges are illegal, but only if someone reports it to some archaic royal charter pish.

Ayr had to get a whole new badge. All caused by some wee grass fae Airdrie.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/ayr-united-face-legal-action-over-team-badge-1-3952853

Really? 
Some football badges are illegal, but only if someone reports it to some archaic royal charter pish.

Ayr had to get a whole new badge. All caused by some wee grass fae Airdrie.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/ayr-united-face-legal-action-over-team-badge-1-3952853

Surprised a scumdrie utd fan actually knew what Heraldic law is. However id have dingied it because im a republican.

In an Independent Scotland we could knock this pish on the head quite quickly.

Off topic, I had a law lecturer over 30 years ago who claimed he had to contact the Lord Lyon’s office.  He called up expecting to talk to some secretary or administrator but claimed the call was answered by a guy who said “Lyon speaking” in a squeaky voice.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

In an Independent Scotland we could knock this pish on the head quite quickly.

Off topic, I had a law lecturer over 30 years ago who claimed he had to contact the Lord Lyon’s office.  He called up expecting to talk to some secretary or administrator but claimed the call was answered by a guy who said “Lyon speaking” in a squeaky voice.

It's a Scottish institution which predates the Union. We could still get rid of it but might have to become a republic first.

12 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

It's a Scottish institution which predates the Union. We could still get rid of it but might have to become a republic first.

I accept that.  I think a republic will become a natural consequence whereas that will never happen in the U.K.

24 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Becoming a republic before becoming a republic?  Now there's a novelty.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I accept that.  I think a republic will become a natural consequence whereas that will never happen in the U.K.

The monarchy is merely utilitarian both sides of the border.  You'd never design a country starting with a constitutional monarchy so it will last for as long as it's useful.  The Williamite settlement has, at its root, its own demise and this is sensible.

18 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Becoming a republic before becoming a republic?  Now there's a novelty.

The monarchy is merely utilitarian both sides of the border.  You'd never design a country starting with a constitutional monarchy so it will last for as long as it's useful.  The Williamite settlement has, at its root, its own demise and this is sensible.

Eh? Her/His Majesty might not take kindly to an attempt to do away with the heraldic sfuff. Not my preference but Scotland could become independent and still be a constitutional monarchy. Ever heard of Canada? 

22 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Eh? Her/His Majesty might not take kindly to an attempt to do away with the heraldic sfuff. Not my preference but Scotland could become independent and still be a constitutional monarchy. Ever heard of Canada? 

More to the point Heraldry can and does exist in Republics

The closest example is the Chief Herald Of Ireland based in Dublin

https://www.nli.ie/en/heraldry-introduction.aspx

And that's not a new phenomenom

These are family shields from the Republic of Venice from a manuscript  dated 1350

Reg.lat.1468_0032_fa_0012v.jpg?format=50