When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here is something that, to me, illustrares our enduring problem....

All day there is Sky news and the BBC news channels running wall to wall coverage.  They are news channels based in England with presenters, politicians and commentators who are predominantly based and work there.  They steer the debate and choose topics and guests based on a position of clear detachment.  They cannot possibly raise the same issues that we would or that are important to us because they don't know what they are or who we are.

This is a debate that, if it was to be fair and balanced, should be facilitated by people who can see what the consequences are and how they would affect people they know, directly.  That would not be influenced by the structures of another country that is moving in a different political direction.

A normal democratic modern country would have that and would feel insulted and demeaned if they were told that they couldn't.

It's very easy for any English MP to speak against Scottish independence because the consequences of such will be minimal to them.  Why do we honestly expect them to care or be invested?

Rather pertinently, at this very moment, Chuka Umunna is on Sky news talking to Kay Burley about why Scottish independence and Nicola Sturgeon are bad.  The man could not name a single Scottish Labour MP when asked in an interview during the last campaign.  Not one.

When the surface of how we are represented by "our" media and "our" representatives is scratched, it is obscene.

Edited by Shades75

Here is something that, to me, illustrares our enduring problem....
All day there is Sky news and the BBC news channels running wall to wall coverage.  They are news channels based in England with presenters, politicians and commentators who are predominantly based and work there.  They steer the debate and choose topics and guests based on a position of clear detachment.  They cannot possibly raise the same issues that we would or that are important to us because they don't know what they are or who we are.
This is a debate that, if it was to be fair and balanced, should be facilitated by people who can see what the consequences are and how they would affect people they know, directly.  That would not be influenced by the structures of another country that is moving in a different political direction.
A normal democratic modern country would have that and would feel insulted and demeaned if they were told that they couldn't.
It's very easy for any English MP to speak against Scottish independence because the consequences of such will be minimal to them.  Why do we honestly expect them to care or be invested?
Rather pertinently, at this very moment, Chuka Umunna is on Sky news talking to Kay Burley about why Scottish independence and Nicola Sturgeon are bad.  The man could not name a single Scottish Labour MP when asked in an interview during the last campaign.  Not one.
When the surface of how we are represented by "our" media and "our" representatives is scratched, it is obscene.

Spot on.

Just now, mjw said:

He most definitely is.
Yes supporters on P&B aren't really responsible for him though.

Arguably those of us who are SNP members have to take some responsibility that he is still representing the party.

If the EU falls apart before this ref takes place then i'll vote yes....if the EU is still in place then i'll vote no.

I'm still doubtful that the UK will ever leave the EU, Unless the dutch & french vote in wilders  & le pen.

1 minute ago, Menzel said:

Hopefully the Yes movement remembers it's strengths as a vibrant and diverse movement and there's no regressive calls for all Yessers to move behind the SNP. 

I can't see that happening.  Plenty of YES supporters not wanting to be part of SNP.