Consultitive eferendum on FFA

Todders

Full Fiscal Autonomy  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SNP also know that FFA would break a big link with the Union, which is presumably why they now appear to favour it despite not including it in their manifesto and the current figures painting a bleak outlook.

We will demand, firstly, that the proposals of the Smith Commission are delivered quickly and in full.

We believe that these proposals do not go far enough to honour the promises made during the referendum.

We will seek agreement that the Scottish Parliament should move to full financial responsibility.

Page 10/11

I would leave Scotland, or at the very least change my domicile, if FFA is ever visited on Scotland. FFA would be an absolute disaster. A very definite road to ruination and one that would not be easy to unwind after the proletariat (aka that sophisticated progressive social democratic electorate) work it out. The tax base is going to shrink as people leave and change domicile, there's your bottom line.

www.crowdfund/petesfrontiersffaflit.c**t

Who does think its a good idea?

I'm sure the SNP don't think it's a good idea. Im also sure they would have voted against it if they thought there was a chance of it being implemented. As it was, it was used as a way to suggest Scotland was being oppressed by the Westminster elite etc.

I'm sure the SNP don't think it's a good idea. Im also sure they would have voted against it if they thought there was a chance of it being implemented. As it was, it was used as a way to suggest Scotland was being oppressed by the Westminster elite etc.

Yes, they thought it was such a terrible idea that they had it in their manifesto and put it forward as an amendment to the Scotland Bill.

Derp!!!!

Fair enough, happy to be corrected. My own memory was that it was a bit "will they/won't they".

I think it was the media and political opponent who portrayed it like that.

Undoubtedly it is a game of political chess, where the SNP know full well that FFA will never be granted, certainly never under the Tories, yet if they are seen to be pushing for it then they, in the current climate will be seen as the good guys. The unionist parties have to paint a bleak picture of why they will never grant it, hence all of the doom and gloom surrounding it.

Regardless of what Scotland operates under, currently the country is in a financial mess. I have no faith in the Tories getting us out of it. At least if we had control over all of our finances we could take a different course of action to deal with it.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if it is ever granted then independence will quickly follow.

...The Tories are probably aware of that, and will also know that FFA wipes out Barnett and the pooling and sharing aspect that the Union offers. Remember that we'd be sharing a currency: how would FFA Scotland be able to make up the gap when it underperforms against the UK? There is absolutely no way we'd be allowed to borrow whatever was required to plug the gap...

Why not? In truly federal countries, it is absolutely the norm for sub-sovereign state levels of government to be able to issue bonds so they can borrow money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_government_debt

Yes, they thought it was such a terrible idea that they had it in their manifesto and put it forward as an amendment to the Scotland Bill.

Derp!!!!

it was put in the manifesto so that the SNP could be seen to vote for it and the other parties against it.

Is it? Really?

Well you obviously think otherwise, but yes I believe it is.

If the government ever manages to get the deficit down and start actually paying off some of the debt which is ever spiralling then I will change my statement. I believe we were told we would be in surplus by now. We're not even close. Doesn't strike me as an example of an economy that is running smoothly.

FFA is a no brainer for a party that backs independence. The scare stories over it are bogus once you grasp that an ability to borrow in lean economic times is inherently part of full fiscal autonomy. Beyond that the only way the oil price is going on average in the medium to long term is upwards, because it is a dwindling non-renewable resource. With higher oil prices the largely undeveloped and unexplored Atlantic margin oilfields will eventually come into play. There's a reason why Westminster wants to keep a tight rein on things and not allow Scotland to be like Alberta in Canada in energy resource terms. There's a middle ground between outright independence and the status quo. The problem is that no major political party is available to articulate the advantages of it to the electorate.

FFA is a no brainer for a party that backs independence. The scare stories over it are bogus once you grasp that an ability to borrow in lean economic times is inherently part of full fiscal autonomy.

You also have to grasp that your spending plans need to be adjusted downwards.

Oh wait. That's the A word isn't it.

Not interested in some kind of party political argument with you given I don't actually back any particular political party, so won't be following up non-sequiturs like that.

It's not a non-sequitur.

It's a consequence of actually having to match your spending plans to a lower budget. Shouldn't be too difficult even for you to grasp.

Compared to who?

USA? Japan? Germany? France?

Who?

Are you being sponsored for the amount of times you hit the question mark key this morning???????

Compared to no one. If you think that everything is rosy in the garden of the UK then that is up to you.

Are we a functioning economy? Yes

Are we in a better position than other countries? Yes

Are we at risk of going bust? No

Do these facts mean our economy isn't in a mess? No

Are we a functioning economy? Yes

Are we in a better position than other countries? Yes

Are we at risk of going bust? No

Do these facts mean our economy isn't in a mess? No

What are your definitions for "in a mess"?

Archived