EOS Criteria

What's the script with teams wanting to apply? Now especially that it's a 16 team league?

Know of a team whom are wanting to apply in the future just this season has come too soon.

Is there criteria that needs to be met?

From the EOSFL website:

Well done to Burntisland Shipyard, Craigroyston, Hawick Royal Albert, Heriot Watt University, Ormiston and Peebles Rovers all of whom have just completed the Scottish Football Association accreditation process and been awarded that body's Quality Mark.

This now means that all of the Member Clubs of the East of Scotland Football League now carry Quality Mark accreditation.

I don't think the SFA Quality Mark is a requirement of the EOS, it's to do with coaching of youngsters and is in association with McDonalds. There are various levels of QM I think. The SFA licence is a different thing and is also not a requirement but EOS use it as a guide for clubs to work towards.

Quality Mark is an SFA standards scheme which is a sort of lower form of licensing, insofar as there is no other criteria-based system operating across Scottish football except for it and licensing (AFAIA). I understand it is to do with things like club governance and structures, coaching qualifications and "official competencies" like having trained first aiders, written club policies and standards, someone designated to deal with any child protection issues etc. etc.

It is open to all clubs including Youth FA and School FA teams.

It wouldn't surprise me if the EOS League is the first body in the non-professional game (or certainly the adult male game) to have all its clubs achieve Quality Mark? With licensing only becoming compulsory at LL/HL level it is a good position to have reached, IMO.

Licensing is much more arduous and includes many other areas like financial matters, ground criteria, etc.

EDIT: Grid showing QM criteria is here. It has some very basic financial conditions i.e. official bank account, insurance and minuting of meetings:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=3445

Yes, I think the main appeal for a club wanting to join the EOS League now would be access to the pyramid system - both as a selling point and also a way to progress upward into the Lowland League. In the case of Amateur clubs it still represents a way of stepping-up and playing from better facilities as well. People will debate the quality aspects in Edinburgh but certainly the top-end of the EOS League remains of strong quality in comparison to the amateurs, too.

It was covered in another thread but if you set aside Burntisland... who had a unique set of circumstances... then Duns are the only club to have joined the EOS League in the last 8 years. Meanwhile a substantial number of clubs have ascended into the Lowland League; if you go back a bit further you had Dalbeattie quitting to concentrate on the SOS League; Easthouses have gone Junior; and Berwick + Hibs have pulled their reserve teams.

Obviously that is worrying. And obviously that trend will have to be arrested if the EOS League is to arrest falling numbers and perhaps even rebuild.

Incidentally, I don't think the principle of enclosed grounds with basic facilities and OK pavilions - or even things like QM - are bad ideas.

What's important is giving new clubs time to work towards them, rather than expecting everything upfront.

Archived