Greek referendum

ICTChris

It's a desperate situation.

I can see why Tsipras called the referendum and I can see why the Greeks voted No but I'm not sure it's going to make a blind bit of difference. It's alright banging on about the democratic will, but there's 18 other states in the Eurozone that also have a democratic will.

One of the Greek journalists tweeting that 16 out of 18 members are committed to a Grexit now. I'd guess France and Cyprus are the dissenters.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely we're through the looking glass here and Greece has to leave the Eurozone? They would look ridiculous accepting a similar deal.

I can't see a different outcome. I also don't see how it's that bad for either Greece or The Eurozone.

I can't see a different outcome. I also don't see how it's that bad for either Greece or The Eurozone.

There would obviously be some pretty brutal short term consequences to a Grexit, paticularly to Greece. But long term, I concur, apart from the political message it transmits about both the EU and the Euro.

There would obviously be some pretty brutal short term consequences to a Grexit, paticularly to Greece. But long term, I concur, apart from the political message it transmits about both the EU and the Euro.

Sake chap. Are we agreeing again? As a modification.....having the ECB providing short-term dosh (I think the posh word is 'liquidity') while Greece segued to its own fiat currency (The Drachma) seems like the best 'win win' here.

So Eurozone would get pelters. So what? It's a shite notion. As for The EU? It needs a harsh dose of reality.

It is just such an amazing idea that you can borrow shitloads of money and not pay it back with no consequences. I must try it sometime.

If you want to try making money closer to home just become head of a large corporation and don't pay tax, but make the occasional donation to the Tory party. You'll get a free seat in the House of Lords as a bonus.

If you want to try making money closer to home just become head of a large corporation and don't pay tax, but make the occasional donation to the Tory party. You'll get a free seat in the House of Lords as a bonus.

Or else if you want to make money even closer to home, donate to the SNP - that way you can buy policies that aggrandise your wealth, even when the great unwashed in the party have voted unanimously at conference to implement a policy which will adversely affect you.

Or else if you want to make money even closer to home, donate to the SNP - that way you can buy policies that aggrandise your wealth, even when the great unwashed in the party have voted unanimously at conference to implement a policy which will adversely affect you.

b...b...b..but anti austerity?

b...b...b..but anti austerity?

Certainly no austerity for Brian Souter.

Must be nice when as a private individual you can choose which policies a party of government implements through waving a cheque.

Ah integrity.. The SNP way.

Seems to me the people who most want Greece to remain in the Euro are the ideologue's. I think they're worried if Greece leaves and things start to improve (not in the immediate short term of course), then it could cause a tsunami of countries to leave. Ending the Euro project.

So it seems Greece has accepted an austerity package that isn't any better than the one the country just voted against. Why?

Bought them a few days I guess, and if you are a moron you might think this is different because it's been proposed by their government not imposed on them.

But as I said after the bizarre celebrations on here after the No vote the end result had to be the same. The creditors hold all the cards and the only acceptable programme for them will be the one they proposed weeks ago.

Tsipras now has the difficult job of explaining to the Greeks why a turd isn't a turd.

Archived