Greek referendum

ICTChris

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you understand how debt and debt re-financing and roll-over work? Greece has not borrowed 300bln into their economy although that may be the figure they now owe. The EU and IMF had behaved worse than the payday lenders in the UK.

You clearly do. Take a few paragraphs to describe Greece's current situation. Explain its options and which way (of several) would be best. Describe the likely outcome in socio-economic terms. Show your chosen outcome in terms of currency and political affiliation.

You clearly do. Take a few paragraphs to describe Greece's current situation. Explain its options and which way (of several) would be best. Describe the likely outcome in socio-economic terms. Show your chosen outcome in terms of currency and political affiliation.

What's also forgotten is that other Eurozone members such as Ireland and Latvia took their medicine in return for bailouts - like it or not I doubt they would view any sort of compromise deal that seems too favourable to Greece as being acceptable. There's going to be a lot of political struggles in the next few weeks before we have a clearer idea where Greece is heading.

The €300bn doesn't exist as cash, but as numbers on a computer. Just type it back in or change the - to a + .

I genuinely wish it was this easy. Unfortunately the greed in the world doesn't allow it to happen.

The €300bn doesn't exist as cash, but as numbers on a computer. Just type it back in or change the - to a + .

Sevconian uncovered ;)

You wound me sir ;)

Haw...it was the first nice thing I've ever said to you!

I am sorry but you have obviously been on the bottle again and looked up a couple of words in your thesaurus. Debt financing, including the rolling over of existing debt has nothing to do with social economics nor policitcal affiliations. So the only thing out of your collection of random terms that actually relates to the debt is currency. Given that Greece does not have control over currency then even this is a tenious link.

Now in terms of debt financing and roll-over, perhaps you could be a little more specific on which details you would like and I will be more than happy to oblige.

Probably best if you actually just keep to picking up missing apostrophes TBH, its [sic] a lot easier for you to get correct.

What's also forgotten is that other Eurozone members such as Ireland and Latvia took their medicine in return for bailouts - like it or not I doubt they would view any sort of compromise deal that seems too favourable to Greece as being acceptable. There's going to be a lot of political struggles in the next few weeks before we have a clearer idea where Greece is heading.

This is fair and sensible. I guess I was railing against posters who see the 'no' vote as clear-cut. It isn't. You ken this.

I guess I was railing against posters who see the 'no' vote as clear-cut. It isn't.

Yet another straw man from you. There's been plenty discussion of the complexities of the situation but not one poster has said the No vote makes things "clear cut".

Take a few paragraphs to describe Greece's current situation. Explain its options and which way (of several) would be best. Describe the likely outcome in socio-economic terms. Show your chosen outcome in terms of currency and political affiliation.

You have obviously been on the bottle again.......Probably best if you actually just keep to picking up missing apostrophes.

Right. So let me give you another opportunity. Take a few paragraphs to describe Greece's current situation. Explain its options and which way (of several) would be best. Describe the likely outcome in socio-economic terms. Show your chosen outcome in terms of currency and political affiliation.

I ask you this as you clearly have a familiarity with the country which the rest of us haven't. This is evidenced by your disdain of posters who take issue with you.

Now shall you give me a sensible reply or would you prefer to continue being a c**t?

Yet another straw man from you. There's been plenty discussion of the complexities of the situation but not one poster has said the No vote makes things "clear cut".

Aye, right. And not one single poster has connected όχι with the Indyref. Sake.

Aye, right. And not one single poster has connected όχι with the Indyref. Sake.

You're absolutely all over the shop on this thread, a glass too much of the Pape, i fear.

Your initial point was not that posters were comparing the two, which is valid on certain aspects, but that they were saying it was a rerun of the Indyref . Not surprisingly you've shifted the goalposts when it was pointed out you were havering.

The banking system collapses, nobody gets paid (state employees and all pensions and benefits) so the state cannot function and the whole structures of society break down. The sick will go untreated and the importation of food and fuel stops. A lot of the rich Greeks. and there's plenty of them as the 300bn euros they borrowed didn't all just vanish, will have the currency to survive on the black market and get anything they want, but the rest are going to starve unless the ECB gives them billions, But hey ho, they said oxi.

You don't know your history when it comes to currency collapses. What you're saying is the fear based propaganda the central bankers want you to believe. In a currency collapse situation people use barter and create their own credit notes. Until the government is able to establish a new currency. Just look into the Argentina crisis at the turn of the century. You are right when you mentioned these things do happen, but only in the immediate short term. It doesn't take long for the situation to stabilize itself.

I am sorry but you have obviously been on the bottle again

You're absolutely all over the shop on this thread, a glass too much of the Pape,

That Strichy has made a c**t of himself is true. That posters who are making a connection between Greek Naw and Scottish Aye are idiots is also true.

That the pair of you dislike me pointing this out is self-evident.

Mon the Greeks. Pleasing to see a country having considerably more cojones than Scotland.

This could be the start of people refusing to be bullied by the financial big boys.

Beautiful.

Mon the Greeks. Pleasing to see a country having considerably more cojones than Scotland.

This could be the start of people refusing to be bullied by the financial big boys.

Beautiful.

Clueless in the extreme.

This is not just about the financial big boys but Greece wanting to have the benefits of being in the Eurozone and having everyone else pay for it.

It's all and easy to say it's the fault of the financial institutions but Greece has to take some of the blame as well. It was running deficits of 10% or more long before it was a Eurozone member, with a bloated military sector and a corrupt public sector.

Read this article http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/20/greece-crisis-ignorance-protest-corruption. I know it 3 years old but it does give a Greek perspective on why their politicians over the last 30 years have been complicit in bringing the Greek economy to its knees.

For the benefit of HB I've now spoken to some patients. They all - along with the doctors - have described their politicians as thieves.

Of course the path they have followed over years is a big factor butthe long and short of it is that no amount of culture change now will enable them to pay off this debt. If there was a compromise where half of it could be written off and half frozen until they were back in growth that might help - but they'll need some free gratis additional cash to get going again in the short term.

I daresay someone is thinking it all through somewhere ...

Clueless in the extreme.

This is not just about the financial big boys but Greece wanting to have the benefits of being in the Eurozone and having everyone else pay for it.

It's all and easy to say it's the fault of the financial institutions but Greece has to take some of the blame as well. It was running deficits of 10% or more long before it was a Eurozone member, with a bloated military sector and a corrupt public sector.

Read this article http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/20/greece-crisis-ignorance-protest-corruption. I know it 3 years old but it does give a Greek perspective on why their politicians over the last 30 years have been complicit in bringing the Greek economy to its knees.

Thanks for that. I've read up plenty on the situation.

Perhaps I'm just not so much of a whimpering, right wing shitebag as you that I'm pleased the Greeks voted No.

Why should the Greek populace suffer?

Archived