Greek referendum

ICTChris

The IMF briefing the other day seemed like the first admission of some cupability on the creditors' side. I suppose the Europeans could dingy this result and keep the taps turned off but it would seem pretty cruel. If they'd made it clear that this vote wouldn't impact on anything that would be one thing. They did the opposite and refused to negotiate until after the result - which is days from a literal cash crisis.

Tsipras apparently speaking to Hollande now, Veroufakis meeting the banks tonight and Holland/Merkel meeting tomorrow. I don't get the impression that this is being treated as a non-event. They're not going to suddenly swan in with a wishlist obviously but there's no doubt the absolute pumping that this is turning into will be causing some headaches.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But they also said that the last deal was no longer on the table.

I can't see them coming back now with a nicer one.

Of course they will, they've got no choice, called the Greek bluff and lost.

Of course they will, they've got no choice, called the Greek bluff and lost.

Of course they have a choice. Dont be foolish.

Do you think they just say 'ah well.. Never mind.. So what terms would you like now'?

Greece needs them a lot more than they need Greece. Especially with capital controls in place.

It's not only up to the IMF, nor is it a simple as No equals Greece gets a new better deal.

Any new offer will also have to be ratified across the Eurozone, including through an increasingly hostile and impatient Bundenstag.

Merkel should just call a referendum for shits.

Although I do agree that debt relief should, indeed has to be, part of any new offer. The IMF intervention on that front must certainly have been helpful for the Greek government and a No vote.

I'm sure this will drag on for some time and some measure will be found in the coming days to allow that. Presuming the liquidity problems are as bad as described, having still EU citizens dying on the streets suits nobody. Big Yanis wasn't having a laugh calling the capital controls and threats about food/medicine shortages terrorism the other day.

Big Yanis wasn't having a laugh calling the capital controls and threats about food/medicine shortages terrorism the other day.

I'm a fan of Yanis but that was overblown and unhelpful rhetoric, imo.

Why don't they just liquidate and come back as The Greece

They could do but they'd be demoted from the Euro Premiership down to the Sub Saharan Division for a while. They'd probably come back quicker than Sevco though.

Almost all of Greece save one wee island should hold an independence referendum and become, say, the Alexandrian Republic, take none of the foreign embassies (and none of the debt) and Bingo! Crisis averted.

Wow that lassie on BBC News has been made to look awful as her party leader (of the main opposition) resigns whilst she's doing an interview. To be fair she handled it very well.

Is she representing the far right in Greece? She doesn't seem the sort and I may have just done her a huge injustice.

In a hell of a lot of the vox-pops from the last 24 hours, anger about the severity of the threats against the Greeks has been cited as a decisive vote vinner for No. On a purely campaigning basis, it doesn't seem to have been unhelpful.

Overblown possibly but given the possible consequences of the next few days, I can understand why things are getting ramped up a few gears.

Thank f**k we aren't in the Euro. Much easier to watch from afar with our much lower exposure to this utter shambles.

Exposure to actual Greek debt isn't directly linked to Eurozone membership. Slovakia, for example, is unlikely to be shitting it as their banks weren't pumping a Greek property/credit bubble in the first place. France and Germany on the other hand have more to lose. The BBC's salty tears over the outcome are a complete and utter embarrassment.

Still - this thread's predictions. :lol: Stunning result from a population that didn't shite itself like north Britain; Tsipras now has a clear - but limited - mandate to conduct renegotiation. The troika have gone against general election results so far, but to be seen to stonewall a direct democratic vote of a member state is likely too far for supporters of the European project to actually tolerate. Even if the Greek economy tanks, Syriza now has a significant card to play.

In a hell of a lot of the vox-pops from the last 24 hours, anger about the severity of the threats against the Greeks has been cited as a decisive vote vinner for No. On a purely campaigning basis, it doesn't seem to have been unhelpful.

Overblown possibly but given the possible consequences of the next few days, I can understand why things are getting ramped up a few gears.

It's a balancing act.

They need to be open in their private negotiations but also rally their core support in public. He obviously felt he needed to make a bold statement - I'm all in favour.

Exposure to actual Greek debt isn't directly linked to Eurozone membership. Slovakia, for example, is unlikely to be shitting it as their banks weren't pumping a Greek property/credit bubble in the first place. France and Germany on the other hand have more to lose. The BBC's salty tears over the outcome are a complete and utter embarrassment.

Still - this thread's predictions. :lol: Stunning result from a population that didn't shite itself like north Britain; Tsipras now has a clear - but limited - mandate to conduct renegotiation. The troika have gone against general election results so far, but to be seen to stonewall a direct democratic vote of a member state is likely too far for supporters of the European project to actually tolerate. Even if the Greek economy tanks, Syriza now has a significant card to play.

Aye, can't believe I applied presumptions about Scottish style shitebaggery to Greece :lol: Facking mug.

It's going to be tough time ahead for them but I'd be very proud if I was a Greek. Had much worse thrown at them than even we did and still kept their pants white.

Aye, can't believe I applied presumptions about Scottish style shitebaggery to Greece :lol: Facking mug.

It's going to be tough time ahead for them but I'd be very proud if I was a Greek. Had much worse thrown at them than even we did and still kept their pants white.

I don't think it's a great comparison.

Our 'status quo' was far, far better than theirs. They've been truly fucked over by the international banks in a way that simply doesn't apply to us.

Archived