Greek referendum

ICTChris

I think it's fair to say that there was almost certainly not due diligence in the processing of Greece's application to join the Eurozone.

In their desperation to get as many members signed up it seems to me that a blind eye was turned to what were clearly fantasy figures.

The subsequent action by Eurostat was akin to shutting the door after the horse bolted.

There's a lot of blame to be shared here - by Greece's political leaders at the time, by the various EU institutions and, probably the key force, the German and French governments.

I don't disagree with this TBH but that doesn't prove that Greece lied about the entry critieria.

As you have stated, even if they had lied to gain entry then they would have been in good company. Even the UK with the off-balance sheet PFI and even more blatently with Network Rail would be able to show the Greeks a thing or two about presentation of public finances. :thumsup2

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree with this TBH but that doesn't prove that Greece lied about the entry critieria.

As you have stated, even if they had lied to gain entry then they would have been in good company. Even the UK with the off-balance sheet PFI and even more blatently with Network Rail would be able to show the Greeks a thing or two about presentation of public finances. :thumsup2

Fantastic! Very impressive. You have taken such a kicking and you don't even know it. Have you discovered the roll Goldman Sachs played in the Greek application to join the Euro?

Fantastic! Very impressive. You have taken such a kicking and you don't even know it. Have you discovered the roll Goldman Sachs played in the Greek application to join the Euro?

You obviously cannot read - http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/224055-greek-referendum/page-2#entry9589644

Or perhaps reading isn't the issue rather just one of knowing a timeline.

You obviously cannot read - http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/224055-greek-referendum/page-2#entry9589644

Or perhaps reading isn't the issue rather just one of knowing a timeline.

Oh I can read alright.The articles are very good but i just could not be arsed reading all the utter pish you were spouting in between.

Ad Lib twisting and turning like a twisty turny thing.... DeeTillEhDeh doing his utmost to hide his uberbritnat fanboy credentials... Bookworm being as thick as a whale shite...

Why, it's like every other thread on here!!

Ad Lib twisting and turning like a twisty turny thing.... DeeTillEhDeh doing his utmost to hide his uberbritnat fanboy credentials... Bookworm being as thick as a whale shite...

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Following this is pretty tricky, in terms of having a preferred outcome.

Selfishly, I could probably do without a major European financial meltdown. Greece accepting a deal on Europe's terms would be the result that impacts on my life the least.

Instinctively though, headlines to the effect of 'Markets Buoyant as Tsipras Backs Down' make me depressed for the state of humanity. More endless financial institution imposed austerity = profit! Leaves a sour taste.

All the snippets from Greek voters absolutely reek of Scottish nawbag as well.

Oh I can read alright.The articles are very good but i just could not be arsed reading all the utter pish you were spouting in between.

Examples of utter pish please.

I would be grateful if you could back up your claim that Goldman helped the Greeks with their Euro entry. Or is this the utter pish that you are referring to?

Tbf to the Greeks they do actually have a few rational and logical reasons to be scared/apprehensive.

I'm hoping they're playing a blinder of a game of poker. Greeks have a reputation for hard boiled business deals, I'm banking on them getting the best deal out of the creditors they could get and still stay within the Euro. Hope so anyway, I bought a load of Euros yesterday thinking they'll go back up against the pound soon.

Just £500 for forthcoming holiday spending money, I didn't liquidate my sacks of gold coins.

Explain where in this thread I've shown this?

This whole stramash is an absolute disgrace. Greece want to hike taxes instead of slashing pensions, so Europe takes the huff and sinks them, purely due to the Greeks not being willing to conform to European conservatism.

It was a happy coincidence for the likes of Merkel and Cameron when a "European official" happened to leak info which stated that there was uncertainty as to whether the Greek banks could stay open past Monday. The cheep ploy worked and depositors pulled money out of there faster than your mother can unbutton her overalls, leaving the banks exposed to the ECB.

f**k Angela Merkel and f**k the British Government.

tumblr_mb50ciU95W1rxpkbxo1_250.gif

This isn't going to end well for Spiras. A Yes vote and he's fucked. A No vote and he remains in charge of an economy with no liquidity. And whilst the Greeks don't want austerity, they don't want 60 euros a day limitations either and much extension of that will see Spiras pumped out the door. If they look to a different market - China for example - Europe will shite bricks at the potential consequences.

There is absolutely no fuckin chance they will ever repay 340bn. They'd need to be running at sustainment plus 20bn every year for the next 17 if nobody added interest. To some extent it feels like a closer to home example of how the west impoverished parts of Africa.

I can't see a way out of this that doesn't involve a write off of debt foolishly allowed to accrue allied to dragging Greece into a space where they operate to modern economic standards.

Otherwise people will end up dying in the streets - in the eurozone. I'm currently in hospital in Greece and my doctor told me he'd been quizzed as to why I hadn't been given an angiogram. Apart from timing - took ill on a Friday night and like the UK nobody does more than keep you alive at a weekend - he mentioned that the numbers of these kind of tests they can run are limited because they don't have the funds to buy in the materials. I've been well looked after on insurance but even then as private hospitals go it's basic stuff (none of this choose your Jamie Oliver meal pish - one course and you can like it or lump it because it's fish).

I reckon it'll need to be The Greece.

This isn't going to end well for Spiras. A Yes vote and he's fucked. A No vote and he remains in charge of an economy with no liquidity. And whilst the Greeks don't want austerity, they don't want 60 euros a day limitations either and much extension of that will see Spiras pumped out the door. If they look to a different market - China for example - Europe will shite bricks at the potential consequences.

There is absolutely no fuckin chance they will ever repay 340bn. They'd need to be running at sustainment plus 20bn every year for the next 17 if nobody added interest. To some extent it feels like a closer to home example of how the west impoverished parts of Africa.

I can't see a way out of this that doesn't involve a write off of debt foolishly allowed to accrue allied to dragging Greece into a space where they operate to modern economic standards.

Otherwise people will end up dying in the streets - in the eurozone. I'm currently in hospital in Greece and my doctor told me he'd been quizzed as to why I hadn't been given an angiogram. Apart from timing - took ill on a Friday night and like the UK nobody does more than keep you alive at a weekend - he mentioned that the numbers of these kind of tests they can run are limited because they don't have the funds to buy in the materials. I've been well looked after on insurance but even then as private hospitals go it's basic stuff (none of this choose your Jamie Oliver meal pish - one course and you can like it or lump it because it's fish).

I reckon it'll need to be The Greece.

The creditors need to grow some humanity and realize that, barring any sudden change of heart, their current course of action will very probably lead to the deaths of hundreds of Greek people.

Archived