Groundhop Scotland 2016

HibeeJibee

It's a bit sad when we're talking about the crowd!? I mean there were some fairly historic occasions over the weekend. There was a game of association football at Rosslyn for example. You don't see that every week of the year!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit sad when we're talking about the crowd!? I mean there were some fairly historic occasions over the weekend. There was a game of association football at Rosslyn for example. You don't see that every week of the year!

Hopefully they'll think it was a good success & who knows Q-erse maybe they might start having these games more often up there. 😉

Grimbo

Wrong day Queenserse ... Roslin da Vinci play in the Sunday Amatuers. 1.30pm today v Salters.

On a serious note, if the GHers saw as much entertainment at the rest of their hops as was seen at Ainslie Park, then they certainly got their money's worth.

What a terrific game of football played by 2 teams fighting for the crack at City. I was feeling a bit like the ref & not wanting it to end. I know I normally pish about & proclaim us as Match of the Day but that game was GH MotD, dunno if it was lucky it fell on that date or if it was planned. I meant no disrespect to the other matches either, no-one would have predicted Vale's 5-0 result, Kilby getting a draw at City was brilliant for the League & Wrkfare with all their problems getting a good result.

Tbh I'm not a GH fan, I love going to new grounds with my team & when we have a free Saturday I can happily take in a different match just for the fix, I've even been to watch a few of that separate association stuff on occasion. Looks very similar to ours to me, I don't understand why they don't join the big leagues? But I can see the novelty of doing these hops once per season, it is a showcase of our League & hopefully those that saw it went away havi g enjoyed it, any publicity is publicity, eh.

I got to watch Man City from my armchair with a few drinks, though after that performance, I could do with something stronger. & I was at Ainslie Park in plenty of time for a much better game of our beloved game. Aguero could do with taking a page out of our Beefy's book.

We had 11 man's of the match on that pitch yesterday for the whole 90 minutes & however long the time added on was.

I felt a bit sorry for the S Uni but overall the result was right, both team created chances but only one finished it. It was a gladiatorial battle & the best I've seen at Ainslie Park this season.

Grimbo

On a serious note, if the GHers saw as much entertainment at the rest of their hops as was seen at Ainslie Park, then they certainly got their money's worth.

What a terrific game of football played by 2 teams fighting for the crack at City. I was feeling a bit like the ref & not wanting it to end. I know I normally pish about & proclaim us as Match of the Day but that game was GH MotD, dunno if it was lucky it fell on that date or if it was planned. I meant no disrespect to the other matches either, no-one would have predicted Vale's 5-0 result, Kilby getting a draw at City was brilliant for the League & Wrkfare with all their problems getting a good result.

Tbh I'm not a GH fan, I love going to new grounds with my team & when we have a free Saturday I can happily take in a different match just for the fix, I've even been to watch a few of that separate association stuff on occasion. Looks very similar to ours to me, I don't understand why they don't join the big leagues? But I can see the novelty of doing these hops once per season, it is a showcase of our League & hopefully those that saw it went away havi g enjoyed it, any publicity is publicity, eh.

I got to watch Man City from my armchair with a few drinks, though after that performance, I could do with something stronger. & I was at Ainslie Park in plenty of time for a much better game of our beloved game. Aguero could do with taking a page out of our Beefy's book.

We had 11 man's of the match on that pitch yesterday for the whole 90 minutes & however long the time added on was.

I felt a bit sorry for the S Uni but overall the result was right, both team created chances but only one finished it. It was a gladiatorial battle & the best I've seen at Ainslie Park this season.

Grimbo

Sounds a good one grim. Looking forward to the highlights although it may have to go some to beat the highlights of the crazy game against City.

I took in a few of the games yesterday as I've been following the lowland league from a distance since the Scottish cup runs of Spartans and East Kilbride

Whitehill welfare v Gala fairydean rovers

Welfare were by far the hungrier team while rovers didn't look interested and effectively threw in the towel with their striker being sent off just after half time. Welfare played well and could have scored more, including a missed penalty. MOM - Muir for welfare, looks a big strong guy who can play a bit too. The pitch was a bit sticky so credit to welfare for trying to play. Based on this display I would expect welfare to be a lot higher in the league.

Spartans v Stirling university

A really tight game which could have gone either way. Stirling will feel aggrieved not to take anything and should have been in front at the break. Both teams missed chances and hit the woodwork during the 90 mins, some nice moves. Spartans edged the second half and won it late on with a great strike from Murray who I would give MoM just for that game changing goal. Good quality on show from both teams, the astro looked to have helped the passing as the other pitches I saw today were heavy and cut up quickly. Summer football has to be the answer in Scotland!

Edinburgh City V East Kilbride

I was looking forward to this the most as it was league leaders against a team id seen do well against Celtic. East Kilbride started the better and took the lead from a well delivered free kick. After that though they seemed to lose their way and just played long balls which were ineffective. Second half and city turned the screw, they missed chance after chance as EK were camped in their own half. Eventually the equaliser came from another set piece but sadly the game petered out with EK missing the last chance at the end. EK will be happy with a point, perhaps the sticky pitch didn't help them as they play on astro. MoM - Macdonald for Edinburgh, small tenacious midfielder who covered every blade of grass and showed quality on the ball.

All in all a good day of football. I've watched a lot of league 1 and 2 and there are definitely some players from this league who could step up, physicality being the biggest difference in my opinion. I'll be sure to keep following the league though and maybe take in a few more games

I took in a few of the games yesterday as I've been following the lowland league from a distance since the Scottish cup runs of Spartans and East Kilbride

Whitehill welfare v Gala fairydean rovers

Welfare were by far the hungrier team while rovers didn't look interested and effectively threw in the towel with their striker being sent off just after half time. Welfare played well and could have scored more, including a missed penalty. MOM - Muir for welfare, looks a big strong guy who can play a bit too. The pitch was a bit sticky so credit to welfare for trying to play. Based on this display I would expect welfare to be a lot higher in the league.

Spartans v Stirling university

A really tight game which could have gone either way. Stirling will feel aggrieved not to take anything and should have been in front at the break. Both teams missed chances and hit the woodwork during the 90 mins, some nice moves. Spartans edged the second half and won it late on with a great strike from Murray who I would give MoM just for that game changing goal. Good quality on show from both teams, the astro looked to have helped the passing as the other pitches I saw today were heavy and cut up quickly. Summer football has to be the answer in Scotland!

Edinburgh City V East Kilbride

I was looking forward to this the most as it was league leaders against a team id seen do well against Celtic. East Kilbride started the better and took the lead from a well delivered free kick. After that though they seemed to lose their way and just played long balls which were ineffective. Second half and city turned the screw, they missed chance after chance as EK were camped in their own half. Eventually the equaliser came from another set piece but sadly the game petered out with EK missing the last chance at the end. EK will be happy with a point, perhaps the sticky pitch didn't help them as they play on astro. MoM - Macdonald for Edinburgh, small tenacious midfielder who covered every blade of grass and showed quality on the ball.

All in all a good day of football. I've watched a lot of league 1 and 2 and there are definitely some players from this league who could step up, physicality being the biggest difference in my opinion. I'll be sure to keep following the league though and maybe take in a few more games

Good summing up. The artificial surface definitely helps the quality of the passing and I'm with you regarding summer football. It also causes issues for the teams that play on artificial and then have to play on grass- spartans for instance haven't won many games on grass in the league this year.

Absolutely. 3 or 4g pitches are useful in the winter and also for a club's revenue (renting out during week) but you can't beat a good grass pitch. Interesting to know about Spartans, however looking at the league it's tight at the top so maybe they could have been even closer if they were better on grass. Yesterday's results were certainly the best possible (other than Edinburgh city losing) to keep the title race interesting

Absolutely. 3 or 4g pitches are useful in the winter and also for a club's revenue (renting out during week) but you can't beat a good grass pitch. Interesting to know about Spartans, however looking at the league it's tight at the top so maybe they could have been even closer if they were better on grass. Yesterday's results were certainly the best possible (other than Edinburgh city losing) to keep the title race interesting

The problem is, we don't get good grass pitches throughout the winter. If the grass pitches were as they were in August it would be great, I totally agree.

Best result to keep the league interesting yesterday was for stirling to win. If they had their potential points total would have been higher than the amount spartans could get.

Attendances over the weekend:

Gretna v Dalbeattie - 366

Whitehill v Gala - 324

Spartans v Stirling - 435

Edinburgh City v EK - 418

Edinburgh Uni v Selkirk - 294

Total - 1,841

Average - 368

Official ground hoppers on the tour buses were rushed to Civil Service Strollers v Leith Athletic following the controversial happenings at Pennypit, and apparently a touch shy of 200 saw that game. So in all likelihood would have been over 300 at Preston v Threave had the referee not done his worst...

Overall figures were almost exactly the same as last season. Oddly the 'trend' Fri-Sat-Sun was opposite:

EK v Whitehill - 491

Vale of Leithen v Preston - 312

Selkirk v Spartans - 281

Gala v Stirling - 323

Dalbeattie v Edinburgh City - 400

Threave v Edinburgh Uni - 462

Total - 2,269

Average - 379

I took in the games at Gretna, and at Spartans and Edinburgh City, and it seemed like the hoppers and other neutrals had a good time. Apparently this was the 3rd time they'd suffered a postponement.

I chatted with groundhoppers who'd visited 3,000+ grounds; 1,800+; 1,200+; and supposedly someone who'd done 7,000+ grounds was present. No idea how that's even possible :lol:.

I took in the games at Gretna, and at Spartans and Edinburgh City, and it seemed like the hoppers and other neutrals had a good time. Apparently this was the 3rd time they'd suffered a postponement.

I chatted with groundhoppers who'd visited 3,000+ grounds; 1,800+; 1,200+; and supposedly someone who'd done 7,000+ grounds was present. No idea how that's even possible :lol:.

well, the legend that is Jim Kidd gets about....

recently I counted up the grounds I've done over the years and came to 200+ which is all of the East of Scotland/Lowland League, East Juniors, most of Fife Juniors, about half of the Central/Ayrshire Juniors, some in Tayside/Aberdeen Juniors, Cove, Brora and Golspie up north, most of the Scottish League (including long gone grounds like Kilbowie), quite a few English grounds and 3 in Europe.  

That leaves a lot of Highland League and North Juniors to do plus the English Leagues..   :rolleyes:

What was the controversy at the Pennypit HJ I know it got called off late. Surely Preston lost a lot of revenue over it ?

If they have I would like to know where the £5 I paid in advance for that match has gone? No word from the groundhop lads on any refunds.

I went to Dalkeith Thistle v Montrose Roselea instead in the afternoon and there were a few groundhoppers at that on as well in a crowd of about 75. I also managed to squeeze in the League cup final at Hampden by leaving the Edinburgh Uni game a few minutes early.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Annual cardigan-wearing notebook-wielding jamboree that is the groundhop rolls in to town this weekend.

Preston, denied by a weather system and particularly zealous referee one year ago, get a second bite of the cherry this evening with Preston v Cumbernauld (7:30pm).

Tomorrow there are 3 games, with an EOSL pairing of Eyemouth v LTHV (11am) followed by Coldstream v Tynecastle (3pm)... I note the same refereeing team are doing both games, btw - with the ref and one of the linesmen swapping!... before the Lowland set is completed after 3yrs with a clash between newcomers namely Hawick v East Stirlingshire (7pm).

Sojourn concludes on Sunday when the last ever game at Recreation Park sees Ormiston v Leith (12:15pm).

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bump.

Annual cardigan-wearing notebook-wielding jamboree that is the groundhop rolls in to town this weekend.

Preston, denied by a weather system and particularly zealous referee one year ago, get a second bite of the cherry this evening with Preston v Cumbernauld (7:30pm).

Tomorrow there are 3 games, with an EOSL pairing of Eyemouth v LTHV (11am) followed by Coldstream v Tynecastle (3pm)... I note the same refereeing team are doing both games, btw - with the ref and one of the linesmen swapping!... before the Lowland set is completed after 3yrs with a clash between newcomers namely Hawick v East Stirlingshire (7pm).

Sojourn concludes on Sunday when the last ever game at Recreation Park sees Ormiston v Leith (12:15pm).

Should be a great weekend for the hoppers.

Didn't head to Prestonpans tonight but will go see Eyemouth tomorrow for first time in a few seasons, followed by Tweedmouth instead of Coldstream in order to tick off another new ground, then back the next day to revisit Ormiston......well.......it's better than indulging in Mothers Day surely!

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Took in the Preston v Cumbernauld game. Crowd of around 300. Kick-off was delayed to 7:45pm. Preston worked hard but Cumbernauld had something extra and won 2-0.

Nice wee earner for Preston though with the beer and food and badges. Our own Rab B gave the crowd on fb as 263. I didn't stay around at the end to see whether all the anoraks with clickers came to blows. 

However the laugh was on me as my car was blocked in. The Groundhop coach had a fuel leak and a mechanic was there with a van.

Archived