Bundesliga 2023/24

This evenings game was aboslutley brilliant. Anyone who says The Premier League is best in the word is talking mince.  Dortmund have proved this evening they have what it takes to win the Bundesliga this season. 

H96 back to winning ways, with a 2-1 victory on Friday night against VfL Wolfsburg. Good teamwork plus a well taken shot from youngster Linton Maina (also his first BL goal) made it 1-0 after 30 minutes. On the hour mark Bebou slotted home a penalty. Bit of a squeaky bum last 10 minutes after Wolfsburg scored a penalty in the 82nd minute.
Result still leaves H96 at the arse end of the table in the play-off spot. Next up, after the Nations League break, an away game in Mönchengladbach. (Won‘t be in attendance since not possible to get back on public transport, is a 6pm Sunday ko)
IMG_4838.jpgIMG_4840.jpg

I'm back from an excellent weekend in Germany across three cities, two matches, many miles clocked up, and many beers.

On Saturday we were at Freiburg v Mainz. The walk from the town to Freiburg's ground isn't your average in football - hills, fields, along a river - it felt more like a Sunday jaunt than a trip to the football. The ground itself is quite old-school by top level standards: quite like the sort of places you get at Championship level in England. They're moving to a new stadium imminently, which seems a bit of a shame but it seems like they sell out every week (24000-odd) so I guess they need to make room for more. We were in the terracing for a bargain 14 euros. I don't think I've ever been in such packed terracing and for a while didn't think we'd get a space at all. Decent atmosphere, if a little quiet from the home fans although we were pretty far from the ultras section. Mainz fans, who were pretty close to us made plenty of noise.  As for the match, Mainz were in control pretty much throughout and won 1-3. Good night out afterwards, mostly in a social club beside the ground which was packed for the Dortmund v Bayern game on TV (and it seemed like nearly everyone was pleased with how that one panned out). Freiburg itself is beautiful - we managed a bit of a wander around the town on Sunday morning and could easily have spent longer.

Then on to Eintracht v Schalke on Sunday evening, and one of the best big-crowd atmospheres I've experienced with both sets of ultras in full voice. Eintracht's ground is a bit away from the centre, but it's easy to get to and seems to have evolved pretty well with lots of tents, pubs, stalls etc in full swing in the kilometre or so surrounding the ground. The ground itself is in the middle of trees - hard to see until you're close by despite its size. And for a stadium of similar size it's everything that the likes of Hampden isn't, with steep sides, good views, and holds the noise in excellently. Eintracht won 3-0, which I think flattered them a bit.

It's the second year we've made a trip like that and I'll definitely be back - excellent value (not just the tickets, but the flights, internal travel, hotels, etc), good-quality football,  and a matchday experience where fans are treated like adults and trusted to enjoy themselves. They get a lot right over there.

Edited by Adamski

30 minutes ago, Adamski said:

I'm back from an excellent weekend in Germany across three cities, two matches, many miles clocked up, and many beers.

On Saturday we were at Freiburg v Mainz. The walk from the town to Freiburg's ground isn't your average in football - hills, fields, along a river - it felt more like a Sunday jaunt than a trip to the football. The ground itself is quite old-school by top level standards: quite like the sort of places you get at Championship level in England. They're moving to a new stadium imminently, which seems a bit of a shame but it seems like they sell out every week (24000-odd) so I guess they need to make room for more. We were in the terracing for a bargain 14 euros. I don't think I've ever been in such packed terracing and for a while didn't think we'd get a space at all. Decent atmosphere, if a little quiet from the home fans although we were pretty far from the ultras section. Mainz fans, who were pretty close to us made plenty of noise.  As for the match, Mainz were in control pretty much throughout and won 1-3. Good night out afterwards, mostly in a social club beside the ground which was packed for the Dortmund v Bayern game on TV (and it seemed like nearly everyone was pleased with how that one panned out). Freiburg itself is beautiful - we managed a bit of a wander around the town on Sunday morning and could easily have spent longer.

Then on to Eintracht v Schalke on Sunday evening, and one of the best big-crowd atmospheres I've experienced with both sets of ultras in full voice. Eintracht's ground is a bit away from the centre, but it's easy to get to and seems to have evolved pretty well with lots of tents, pubs, stalls etc in full swing in the kilometre or so surrounding the ground. The ground itself is in the middle of trees - hard to see until you're close by despite its size. And for a stadium of similar size it's everything that the likes of Hampden isn't, with steep sides, good views, and holds the noise in excellently. Eintracht won 3-0, which I think flattered them a bit.

It's the second year we've made a trip like that and I'll definitely be back - excellent value (not just the tickets, but the flights, internal travel, hotels, etc), good-quality football,  and a matchday experience where fans are treated like adults and trusted to enjoy themselves. They get a lot right over there.

Pics please