Bundesliga 2023/24

6 minutes ago, Waspie said:

This is my understanding too. I have a wee interest in former GDR football and of the different books, blogs and podcasts, quite a few people have gone to watch Dynamo and I'm not aware of anyone having any problems, despite the reputation of the fans. Indeed, there are some who would challenge the 'Union - all round good guys' and 'BFC - evil personified' theory.

Personally, it's a place I'd be keen to visit with BFC having such a fascinating (dodgy is still fascinating after all) history, and the ground itself is a soon to be gone relic of a different era. 

That said, I'm obviously not taking any responsibility if placidcasual goes and gets attacked by neo nazis :shutup

I recall reading a bit of a horror story from someone on the Berlin Thread of the Travel Forum about when they attempted to attend a Union Berlin game and were 'removed' by the Union Berlin Ultras

ETA: Just checked, it was @LondonHMFC

Edited by AyrTroopMajor

Yeah it was a fucking nightmare when we went. We got a cab to the ground and walked towards the front of the stadium past a little track beside a river (sure some of the folk who go regularly will know what I am on about). As we walked to the ground, some little dweeb with a backpack came up and asked where we were from, we said London, he said OK and fucked off. Within a few minutes all the Ultras appeared, we moved out the way, and they came straight for us. Asked us to show our ticket, where we had got it from (a Union ST holder had got us them) and why we were there. They told us we weren't welcome and to leave straight away, they literally followed us to the tram to make sure we left. I know a few QPR lads who went over for a friendly match a couple Summer's back and they had the same problem, was quite a lot of trouble over there. 

When I did Frankfurt last year with Lazio we had a similar situation, but could have been potentially a lot worse. We met up with a couple of Italian lads to get our tickets for the away end and they told us to be on guard as Frankfurt fans were on the hunt for Lazio. So we decided to go to the stadium early, as we left the station and walked up to the ground a group of Ultras were stood waiting, we tried to walk round the back of them, unfortunately the Police then came in and surrounded the group. They were all wearing black clothing, and I had on a white jacket, couldn't have looked more out of place. The Police wanted to see tickets, but we couldn't take them out as they were for the away end. Tried subtly telling this copper that we were minutes from getting battered and to let us go. Eventually they said we could go, but that obviously raised suspicions amongst others nearby as we were allowed to walk. As we got out of eyesight of the police, these four lads came over. Started speaking in Italian at first, but we were both wary, so just kept walking, they then shouted stop, so we stopped. Asked us where we were from, and this time we said Scotland. He asked if we were groundhoppers and we said yes, again we were fed the line they don't like groundhoppers. At this point I was ready to f**k off and just go home, but they asked who we supported. The lad I was with just came out with Ross County, and one of the guys started laughing saying he had them on a bet a couple weeks previous. He was happy to let us go, and told us if anybody gave us trouble to say that they had let us in. Unfortunately, as we stood in the away end (which was sparsely populated as the Irriducibili were banned, could really have done with them that evening), the lads who stopped us outside the ground, then saw us in the away end. I can't speak German, but I don't think they were too impressed. After the match we were kept in for an hour, before being taken on a forest track to get back to the station. A police van was at the far end, and the spotlight just shone down. Every 100 metres or so we were stopped, and police would go into the woods to make sure no Frankfurt fans were in there. Got to the station and there was loads of them just waiting, it had gone midnight and there must have been around a thousand just stood there waiting for us. Police battled them back to let us through, got on the train back to the centre. As we got to the main station, the Police on board got a message through that another few hundred were waiting outside. So we had to go two stops on and then let off. Luckily there was a massive line of taxis, so we were able to get in one and go direct to the hotel. Definitely the most on edge I have ever felt at a game of football though, wasn't enjoyable in the slightest. Have attached a couple of photos from the walk back. 

PS, I am not Danny Dyer. 

Lazio Frankfurt 1.jpg

Lazio Frankfurt.jpg

7 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Anyone who goes to a football match with the sole intention to fight is an utter c**t. End of.

I think recently it has got worse, and a lot of it seems to come down to politics (especially with Lazio). Saw something the other week, think it may have been PSG, where two groups fought amongst themselves as one was left wing, and the other right. 

As long as you keep yourself to yourself you are generally going to be fine. Just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time on both occasions for myself.

There was loads of bother when we were in Frankfurt for the Dortmund game a couple of seasons ago.  Thought we were goin to get a kicking as soon as we left our hotel. Groups of Frankfurt fans dressed all in black(and all oddly wearing Sketchers trainers) attacking Dortmund fans in the streets around the station. 

During the train and walk to the stadium it felt like it could kick off at any time even with a big police presence.

7 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

I think recently it has got worse, and a lot of it seems to come down to politics (especially with Lazio). Saw something the other week, think it may have been PSG, where two groups fought amongst themselves as one was left wing, and the other right. 

As long as you keep yourself to yourself you are generally going to be fine. Just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time on both occasions for myself.

Aye the shit with PSG fans has been going on since the nineties. I believe most hooliganism in France is PSG fans fighting each other. I think French government ended up banning all there ultras as criminal organisations. I also think Frankfurt are known for being particularly cuntish especially by West German standards.

ive always found German fans to be either brand new (especially MSV Duisburg and HSV) or generally been ignored. Including Union Berlin. Only arseholes I came across were the Dynamo Dresden away fans who spent the entire game staring at the home end. Even that was nothing in the grand scheme of things. Tho there were handbags with a few in the home end, who did nothing other than take out a scarf (away at Union)

There was loads of bother when we were in Frankfurt for the Dortmund game a couple of seasons ago.  Thought we were goin to get a kicking as soon as we left our hotel. Groups of Frankfurt fans dressed all in black(and all oddly wearing Sketchers trainers) attacking Dortmund fans in the streets around the station. 
During the train and walk to the stadium it felt like it could kick off at any time even with a big police presence.

I remember there was running riots when Frankfurt visited Hertha a few seasons back. I've never had any trouble personally when I've been across.

I'm sure Dynamo Berlin were attracting a more diverse crowd now they're based in Prenzlauer Berg. When they return to the Sportforum Hohenschönhausen maybe the more hardcore element will return.

Only mild trouble I've seen in around 20 German games attended live was Duisburg vs Hansa Rostock in the 3.Liga when the Rostock fans burned a Duisburg flag, folk went from the terracing behind the goal to the top tier of the stand behind the goal to run all the way round the (empty top tier of) the sideline stand to get to the away fans.

Went to Union away with Duisburg and had zero bother but we went straight into the ground, and probably no-one outside RW Essen really gives a f**k about Duisburg.