Bundesliga 2023/24

On 22/02/2020 at 20:19, Waspy said:

Hertha are absolutely rotten.

Hertha's current home record in the Bundesliga:

Games played: 12

Games Won: 3

Goals scored: 12

Goals conceded: 26

A grand total of 6 teams have went to the Olympiastadion and hit 3 or more goals, 7 teams if you count Dynamo Dresden in the Pokal. All hail Dedryck Boyata.

Hertha's current home record in the Bundesliga:
Games played: 12
Games Won: 3
Goals scored: 12
Goals conceded: 26
A grand total of 6 teams have went to the Olympiastadion and hit 3 or more goals, 7 teams if you count Dynamo Dresden in the Pokal. All hail Dedryck Boyata.

The olympiastadion was always a fortress the past couple of seasons. Bring back Lusti!

Just now, Waspy said:

The olympiastadion was always a fortress the past couple of seasons. Bring back Lusti!

Yet this season has seen wins picked up in Koln, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg with draws in Munich and Frankfurt, places where they would ordinarily get a hiding. Good thing too or they would be marooned at the bottom.

On 17/02/2020 at 16:16, German Jag said:

H96, SV Hamburg (and also Bielefeld) all have a ‚fan-friendship‘ type of thing with each other. Personally I find it all a bit cringe-worthy, with shit-loads of half & half scarves, people wearing the scarf of one team round their neck and tying the other teams scarf round their wrist. Only upside of all this is the police presence is reduced and also not as stern as usual.
12.000 Hamburg fans in attendance for the 1st Nord Derby between both clubs to take place in Hannover. (H96 got gubbed 3-0 in Hamburg last September).
To cut a long story short, typical derby football, 1-0 for H96 in the 53rd by Teuchert. 5 minutes added on, with Hamburg getting the equaliser in the 96th (sic) minute! An unexpected point, but still a f**k, f**k, fuckity, f**k moment!

IMG_0215.jpg

Next up a trip to Bielefeld.

The whole "freundschaft" culture is by far one of the worst aspects of German fan culture, up there with all the denim and Mexican waves at National team games! I'm a fan of H96 (my dear Oma is from Letter) but I can not stand Hamburg, a horrible club, especially their own friendship with the ****.

Just been a horrible season for Hannover all in, as much as I like the derby with Braunschweig I'd prefer they weren't playing each other one level above the regional leagues next season

2 hours ago, Torpar said:

The whole "freundschaft" culture is by far one of the worst aspects of German fan culture, up there with all the denim and Mexican waves at National team games! I'm a fan of H96 (my dear Oma is from Letter) but I can not stand Hamburg, a horrible club, especially their own friendship with the ****.

Just been a horrible season for Hannover all in, as much as I like the derby with Braunschweig I'd prefer they weren't playing each other one level above the regional leagues next season

Woman in the queue yesterday, with a H96 top, Bielefeld on the back and a Hamburg scarf tied around a wrist! 

Yet this season has seen wins picked up in Koln, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg with draws in Munich and Frankfurt, places where they would ordinarily get a hiding. Good thing too or they would be marooned at the bottom.

Hopefully they can pick up a few more results and they can see the season out.

A very wet & windy day yesterday in Bielefeld. Talk of game being cancelled with numerous pitch inspections. Kick-off delayed by half an hour to see if things got better, which they didn‘t but since 26.000 were already in the stadium including 3.000 in the sold out away section then the game went ahead.
IMG_0239.jpgIMG_0242.jpg

Conditions provided a leveler between top and hovering above the relegation spots. H96 should at least have taken a point back along the A2 to Hannover. Not to be however, with Yabo getting the winner in the 83rd minute.

IMG_0255.jpgIMG_0258.jpg

Result leaves H96 still sitting precariously close to the play-off / direct relegation spots. In saying that the overwhelming majority of upcoming games are against fellow @rse end of the table strugglers.

Next up, home to Holstein Kiel on Monday.

Well this has been an interesting match day to say the least.

What did the banner at Hoffenheim say? From broken English twitter accounts all I got was “son of a bitch”.

On 24/02/2020 at 17:29, Torpar said:

The whole "freundschaft" culture is by far one of the worst aspects of German fan culture, up there with all the denim and Mexican waves at National team games!

you get the same thing in Poland,its wierd

I was at lech Poznan-cracovia earlier this season,2 teams whos ultra groups have a love in.while both teams were happily getting torn in about each other on the pitch the atmosphere was stranger than usual in the stands.cracovia went 2 up,their goals politely applauded,no shouts of dissent,but…..I got the disitinct impression that folks were biting their tongues for fear of upsetting the bams.the only time there was anything like a normal atmosphere was when Poznan got one back with 3 minutes to go,there was just a wall of noise in a "gerrintaethem" sort of way from the 3 normal(non ultra)stands following the goal

1 hour ago, Waspy said:

What did the banner at Hoffenheim say? From broken English twitter accounts all I got was “son of a bitch”.

Something like.... "Everything's the same, the DFB breaks it's word,Hopp is still a son of a whore" 

There's plenty here more informed than me who can elaborate further, but it's to do with fan ownership, and how Dietmar Hopp and Hoffenheim are exempt from the rule which prevents individuals owning more than 49% of a club.

The whole Hopp thing is an absolute mess.

I have a lot of sympathy with German fans who are fiercely proud of the way that German clubs are owned and run. The fans are a big part of that and rich owners can't usually buy success. There's a big backlash against Leipzig (rightly so). Hopp's ownership and spending has been allowed by the German FA - should the fans be targeting them instead of Hopp? Dortmund fans were banned from Hoffenheim and that's a decision that was also backed by the league. Is Hopp the correct target for protest, should they be directed at the German FA or is it a bit of both?

In reaction to the protests I've seen Adler Mannheim fans being exceptionally critical of the protests. Understandable to a point - Hoffenheim's home ground isnt that far from Mannheim and Die Adler play in the SAP Arena. That said, Mannheim fans regularly criticise Red Bull Munchen for the amount of money they can spend thanks to Red Bull's involvement. I find that to be a little bit of a double standard - why is it acceptable for Hopp but not for Red Bull Munich? Simpy because Hopp is relatively local and Die Adler have ties to SAP?

Some of the language isnt acceptable. The whole "son of a whore" thing is hugely distasteful. By all means protest Hopp but mention of family members is something I really don't like. It doesnt mean that I don't support protests against Hopp. Far from it. It's just that Hopp isnt the only one who deserves criticism here and those protests shouldn't resort to unacceptable comments about his family.

Union's banners did include the line 'Fick dich DFB' at the end so the DFB are getting it as well, and rightly so. I find it a bit cringe that they are choosing 'son of a whore' as the language of choice but I do have a large amount of sympathy with the Ultra groups.

Ultras groups do a lot of good in Germany, with Bayern's being a great example in leading the fight against fascism, antisemitism, homophobia and racism. One of the things that has been highlighted, and rightly so, is the DFB's strong reaction to the anti-Hopp protests, with the Union Berlin game being one banner away from a full-on abandonment. Contrast this to the Schalke-Hertha game in the Pokal, where Jordan Torunarigha was racially abused yet play went on regardless. Is racism okay but a collective protest against a millionaire owner is not?