Bundesliga 2023/24

Arjen Robben has announced his retirement, at his peak he was brilliant
A player as good as this man at cutting inside on his left foot and putting the ball wherever he wanted.

We all knew what he was gonna do but there was next to nothing you could do to stop it.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I don't know if you've done it deliberately because you've already been there  or whatever but based on the fixtures you've quoted then Fortuna Dusseldorf are also at home that weekend vs Wolfsburg and you'll get a ticket for that if it's the Sunday. Bochum is really good though both in terms of handiness to get there from the Hbf and the big covered terracing in the home end which means there's a decent atmosphere without being packed in like sardines.

Munster are at home but Duisburg and Uerdingen (who are sharing at Fortuna Dusseldorf) are away.

The 4th tier regionalliga plays the vast majority of its games on a Saturday with the odd Friday, very few on a Sunday. The 5th tier Oberliga play Sunday but I think that's amateur level, that said I have been to see games at both Turu Dusseldorf and Schwarz-Weiss Essen (who actually won the German cup in the 50s) and their grounds are probably closer to Scottish League 1/2, but there are some teams  at that level who play at essentially training grounds.

also the fixtures for that time period should probably be confirmed within the next week for BL1 and 2, the lower leagues can move things about at fairly short notice. The first 2 BL2 weekends already have but that starts a couple of weeks before BL1

Thanks for all of that. Fortuna Düsseldorf are very much on the radar for that weekend - just didn’t include them above as I figured that tickets wouldn’t be too much of an issue compared to Köln and Dortmund.

I’m kind of hoping that it pans out to being the Bochum v Dresden game we get to. It pretty much ticks all the boxes of what I was looking for. (This will be our third trip over and previously enjoyed Freiburg and Mannheim a touch more than the modern grounds).

Our group includes a friend from Holland (hence the PSV game) who’ll be driving, which opens things up a bit for us. As well as Münster I’m also keeping an eye on when Paderborn v Schalke and Meppen v Kaiserslautern get scheduled for. I was hoping that a couple of Regionalliga games might work out for us but maybe that’s not to be.

Useful to know when the fixtures are out - fingers crossed that it’s kind to us! Looking forward to seeing where we end up anyway.

13 hours ago, Adamski said:

Thanks for all of that. Fortuna Düsseldorf are very much on the radar for that weekend - just didn’t include them above as I figured that tickets wouldn’t be too much of an issue compared to Köln and Dortmund.

I’m kind of hoping that it pans out to being the Bochum v Dresden game we get to. It pretty much ticks all the boxes of what I was looking for. (This will be our third trip over and previously enjoyed Freiburg and Mannheim a touch more than the modern grounds).

Our group includes a friend from Holland (hence the PSV game) who’ll be driving, which opens things up a bit for us. As well as Münster I’m also keeping an eye on when Paderborn v Schalke and Meppen v Kaiserslautern get scheduled for. I was hoping that a couple of Regionalliga games might work out for us but maybe that’s not to be.

Useful to know when the fixtures are out - fingers crossed that it’s kind to us! Looking forward to seeing where we end up anyway.

Fortuna were coming close to, if not completely, selling out for the final few games of last season, so just be careful. Having said that, I think that was down to the way the team were playing (they have now lost almost all their best players) and the opposition. Wolfsburg aren't the most glamourous of opposition so I'd imagine you'd be fine there.

Given that Paderborn's stadium only holds 15,000 and Schalke are a big draw with a very large away following, you may struggle with that one. Good luck though!

16 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Arjen Robben has announced his retirement, at his peak he was brilliant

People talk about Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, but my favourite player was Arjen Robben. For all his flaws (he was ridiculously one-footed and could be very selfish) he was brilliant to watch and I loved watching him play.

On 05/07/2019 at 18:09, Todd_is_God said:

Union signing Neven Subotic and re-signing Marvin Friedrich is good news

Gentner arriving from Stuttgart as well. Not sure about that one, think VfB fans were pretty happy to see him finally leave.

On 04/07/2019 at 21:24, Adamski said:

That's the first batch of exact fixture times out. Looks like my trip to Bochum on the Sunday is on. Maybe Dusseldorf on the Friday night too.

Tonight will be spent on the Deutsche Bahn web-site. Kiel at 18:30 on a Friday isn‘t the best, probably do an overnight. Hamburg on a Sunday but the 13:30 k/o means no mad rush to get the last train back. Also Nürnberg fans will be pissed at having to travel to Hannover for a Monday night game (ca. 600 mile round-trip!).

16 hours ago, German Jag said:

Tonight will be spent on the Deutsche Bahn web-site. Kiel at 18:30 on a Friday isn‘t the best, probably do an overnight. Hamburg on a Sunday but the 13:30 k/o means no mad rush to get the last train back. Also Nürnberg fans will be pissed at having to travel to Hannover for a Monday night game (ca. 600 mile round-trip!).

I read at the end of last year that the fan protests had worked and that Monday night games were to be abolished. When does that come into effect?

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I read at the end of last year that the fan protests had worked and that Monday night games were to be abolished. When does that come into effect?

Due to the present TV contract(s) they'll still be in place this season as well as next.

On 05/07/2019 at 18:09, Todd_is_God said:

Union signing Neven Subotic and re-signing Marvin Friedrich is good news

Union going about their business wisely IMO. Anthony Ujah was another. For a club who've no experience in the Bundesliga, they've done well to bring in some very experienced players.

• 2 weeks later...

Opening game of the BL2 season last night between VfB Stuttgart & H96 who were both relegated last season. Bit of a twee ‚opening ceremony‘ prior to kick-off.

Just over 1400 H96 fans made the 650 mile round trip, prior to k/o was still a sultry 33°C!

H96 with the better chances in the 1st 15 minutes, but some god awful defending allowed Mario Gomez to make it 1-0. Didavi made it 2-0 shortly thereafter courtesy of a good free-kick combined with Zieler‘s trademark poor positioning. H96 given a life-line almost immediately, with Awoudja somehow contriving to get the ball into his own net.

During the break the heavens opened up with torrential rain plus hail coming down.

Not the best of starts for Mirko Slomka on his return, and with a tricky set of games against Hamburg, Nürnberg & Kiel coming up over the next 5 weeks then need to avoid having to play continual catch-up.

Next up home to Jahn Regensburg on Saturday.

IMG_5658.thumb.jpg.c18298413672b44adb9079c78db1ac98.jpgIMG_5664.thumb.jpg.29463298ae293ead3f821e9684e1faf8.jpgIMG_5669.thumb.jpg.96e613a295071ca4cfa4522d38610f63.jpgIMG_5688.thumb.jpg.8d2fe8353fb4b7537e66065438089cea.jpg

bottling big team decision by ref in hamburg-darmstadt game when papadopoulis only got a yellow for pulling a player through on goal back

he managed to get himself over to the screen for the hamburg penalty at the death,though:angry:

Edited by highlandcowden

On 27/07/2019 at 14:25, German Jag said:

Opening game of the BL2 season last night between VfB Stuttgart & H96 who were both relegated last season. Bit of a twee ‚opening ceremony‘ prior to kick-off.

Just over 1400 H96 fans made the 650 mile round trip, prior to k/o was still a sultry 33°C!

H96 with the better chances in the 1st 15 minutes, but some god awful defending allowed Mario Gomez to make it 1-0. Didavi made it 2-0 shortly thereafter courtesy of a good free-kick combined with Zieler‘s trademark poor positioning. H96 given a life-line almost immediately, with Awoudja somehow contriving to get the ball into his own net.

During the break the heavens opened up with torrential rain plus hail coming down.

Not the best of starts for Mirko Slomka on his return, and with a tricky set of games against Hamburg, Nürnberg & Kiel coming up over the next 5 weeks then need to avoid having to play continual catch-up.

Next up home to Jahn Regensburg on Saturday.

IMG_5658.thumb.jpg.c18298413672b44adb9079c78db1ac98.jpgIMG_5664.thumb.jpg.29463298ae293ead3f821e9684e1faf8.jpgIMG_5669.thumb.jpg.96e613a295071ca4cfa4522d38610f63.jpgIMG_5688.thumb.jpg.8d2fe8353fb4b7537e66065438089cea.jpg

Is it an optical illusion, or was the torrent of water falling from the roof on that last picture landing straight on top of some of the home fans?

7 minutes ago, Salem Saberhagen said:

Is it an optical illusion, or was the torrent of water falling from the roof on that last picture landing straight on top of some of the home fans?

Not an illusion. The volume of water which came down, was simply too much for the drainage system on the roof to cope with.