Bundesliga 2023/24

The train prices in Germany seem ludicrously expensive and you can't seem to buy return tickets.

Am I just doing this terribly wrong or is this the case?
Where are you trying to buy them, bahn.de is the place to get them online (they have an English option and once you've registered it's simple)? If you have a match ticket, train travel may be included if you're in the local area.

Maybe a bit harsh on the boy but anytime ive watched Bates he's looked pish. Doesn't look comfortable on a football field type of pish. Would be very suprised if he lasted a season in the first team at Bundesliga II level.

Where are you trying to buy them, bahn.de is the place to get them online (they have an English option and once you've registered it's simple)? If you have a match ticket, train travel may be included if you're in the local area.
I've got the DB app and been on plenty of German trains and have found the longer distance ICE ones are great value when bought early. However, the shorter RE and S Bahn trains seem expensive and you have to buy two singles at the same price as returns don't seem to exist. For Düsseldorf to Essen Bergeborbeck it's about 25 Euros 'return'

I've got the DB app and been on plenty of German trains and have found the longer distance ICE ones are great value when bought early. However, the shorter RE and S Bahn trains seem expensive and you have to buy two singles at the same price as returns don't seem to exist. For Düsseldorf to Essen Bergeborbeck it's about 25 Euros 'return' 
Right, I get you. Aye, most trains in Europe do their prices by distance so there's no discount for getting a return over two singles unless you get an early deal on an ICE/Frecciarossa/TGV or whatever express service there is in that country. Have a look at seat61.com where there are a few wee hints about getting cheaper tickets for certain routes. One I remember was that it was cheaper to get a ticket to Switzerland but get off before the border as there was some sort of permanent promotion on.

9 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

A journey like the one you've mentioned would be included in the match ticket assuming you're going to a match.

Other options, which become much more viable if you're in a small group, would be a "Schönes WE Ticket" or "Länder Ticket".

A journey like the one you've mentioned would be included in the match ticket assuming you're going to a match.
Other options, which become much more viable if you're in a small group, would be a "Schönes WE Ticket" or "Länder Ticket".

I had not had a look myelf but my friend that I'm going with (who speaks/reads far better German than I do) said he'd looked at the RW Essen site and there wasn't any free travel available with the ticket.

Is Duisburg a good place to watch a match? 
Doing the Duisburg game at lunchtime then train to leverkusen for the Dortmund game in September. 

Duisburg are my favourite German team and going to the MSV arena is a good day out. The atmosphere is always lively but attendances are usually around the 13,000 - 14,000 mark in a 30,000 + stadium.

You can either get the train to Duisburg Hbf and get one of the hundreds of buses they put on to get to the ground or get the slower S Bahn train to Duisburg Schlenk and it's 10 mins walk from there.

If getting the bus back to the Hbf after the game, be careful which bus you get. Most go to the station but some go to the northern suburbs. A couple of people I was with last time found this out the hard way

Flixtrain offer cheap travel across Germany by rail.
Flixtrain only seems to offer tickets between major cities.

8 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Duisburg are my favourite German team and going to the MSV arena is a good day out. The atmosphere is always lively but attendances are usually around the 13,000 - 14,000 mark in a 30,000 + stadium.

You can either get the train to Duisburg Hbf and get one of the hundreds of buses they put on to get to the ground or get the slower S Bahn train to Duisburg Schlenk and it's 10 mins walk from there.

If getting the bus back to the Hbf after the game, be careful which bus you get. Most go to the station but some go to the northern suburbs. A couple of people I was with last time found this out the hard way

Flixtrain only seems to offer tickets between major cities.

Cheers mate, quite looking forward to it, probably more so than the bigger game later. Kind of regretting not getting tickets for the standing area now though. 

Cheers mate, quite looking forward to it, probably more so than the bigger game later. Kind of regretting not getting tickets for the standing area now though. 

I've been 8 or 9 times and only ever been in the terrace. It's usually almost full and so getting a decent vantage point with loads of flags being waved often isn't easy. Have you been to Leverkusen before? When are you arriving/ departing and what other games are you going to?

2 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I've been 8 or 9 times and only ever been in the terrace. It's usually almost full and so getting a decent vantage point with loads of flags being waved often isn't easy. Have you been to Leverkusen before? When are you arriving/ departing and what other games are you going to?

Was at leverkusen v stutgart last season and quite liked it plus very easy to get tickets. 

Arriving and departing from eindhoven but getting the flixbus into dusseldorf on the Saturday morning. Still deciding on a Dutch game on the Friday and Sunday.  Maybe den bosch on Friday and feynoord on Sunday but playing it by ear. 

Was at leverkusen v stutgart last season and quite liked it plus very easy to get tickets. 
Arriving and departing from eindhoven but getting the flixbus into dusseldorf on the Saturday morning. Still deciding on a Dutch game on the Friday and Sunday.  Maybe den bosch on Friday and feynoord on Sunday but playing it by ear. 
Sounds good. Have contemplated switching our usual Düsseldorf trip to Eindhoven but was always a bit wary of how easy it was to get tickets for Dutch games as a non Dutch resident. Any ideas?