What Nationalities have you been mistaken for?

Kejan

Ordered a drink in America and the barman asked if I was Russian! His next guess was South African!

Was over in Dublin for the Ireland v Scotland game last month. I was wearing a kilt and a t-shirt with 'True Scotsman' across the front. A German woman came up and asked if I was Irish!!!

ItaIian, by a tartan army throbber in Glasgow city centre after the game in 2007.

I didn't mind so much. I'm part Italian anyway and as a people they are, by and large, trendy as f**k, bronze skinned beauties so it was an easy mistake for him to make.

Even if he did seem, generally, a tad angry about something :D

• 2 weeks later...

In Germany, trying to speak German to a German, he suggested to his mate that he thought we were Dutch (in German, of course) because of the terrible grammar and pronunciation.

In USA I was asked if I was English, and when I informed her that I was Scottish, she complemented me on being able to speak such good English!

In the US folk thought I was Irish or from some part of Scandinavia.

A waitress said she loved my European accent & asked which part of Ireland Scotland was in, was it near the South!

Also bizarrely a old guy in Texas overheard me talking walked over & asked if I was from North East Scotland.

He looked extremely pleased with himself when I replied that I was.

• 2 months later...

Recently while walking through times square I was stopped by a guy trying to punt tickets for the comedy club. I politely replied no thanks. The guys asks where I'm from " guess" I replied ( now in spite of having left Scotland over 30 years ago I still have a pretty strong accent) he then says " I'm really good at this........Australia!" I near pissed myself and fair play to the guy he laughed too so neither of us really needed the tickets for the comedy club after all.

• 3 months later...

Mistaken for a German in Glasgow. Was in the pub before the Rangers v Möchengladback friendly, ia friendly rangers chap saw our scarves assumed we were German and bought our group another 4 Erdingers. we all said Danke, so he left none the wiser.

Never really been mistaken for being from anywhere just really England but that's mostly because other countries don't know any better.

Was speaking to a guy from the west of Ireland in Spain and I didn't have a clue what he was saying but I was trying my best to get the basis of it. After he finished speaking I started speaking and about two sentences in he stopped me and said "mate, slow down I can't understand you" I was shocked to find I was the one who was hard to understand.

Also spoke to a boy from hive in Edinburgh I asked him if he was from Edinburgh to which he replied with a rather disgusted face. "Naw I'm fae Leith" to which I just laughed never knew folk actually said that.

English, in St Andrews by an American, whilst I was speaking with a fairly broad Dundonian accent.

Norwegian, when I was 4 or 5 on a boat from Newcastle to Kristiansand. I had really fare hair and two Norwegians said to my parents: "Wow! For someone so young, your son speaks really good English"

Spanish, when cycling (in Angus), and one of the guys I was riding with saw that my skin was really tanned.