What Nationalities have you been mistaken for?

Kejan

Irish or one of the other British nations (I've had the full set). Unsurprisingly, all of these were in America.

I was fairly frequently mistaken for Spanish/Mexican in America when I was really young. I used to have really dark hair, so when coupled with a suntan they obviously just assumed English wouldn't be my first language and spoke to me in Spanish. The worst part was that they repeated themselves in Spanish after I looked bemused and said "what?".

I've been mistaken as a local and have been asked for directions in Denmark, Sweden and Finland.

They're all dreamboats over there, so it's a real boon for me.

I've had a few English folk mistake my Highland accent for a failed statelet one.

Haha, my pal's family are from the Isle of Lewis and he is constantly mistaken for Irish even on the mainland of Jockland.

Any of:

English

Welsh

Irish

German

American

I have quite a broad Scottish accent and one time in Berlin I tried to speak to the lassie behind the counter of a shop and she turned to her colleague and asked her if she knew what language I was speaking.

Got asked if I was Welsh in London by a cockney.

The staff at a hotel in Turkey thought I was German because of the way I said "hello".

I was talking to a guy before a Scotland V Norway game a few years back and thought he was Norwegian. Continued telling him he'd be fine with tickets for the home end as we're a friendly bunch. Turned out he was from Orkney

English, In Orlando, when I was 15, by an American guy in a football bar, even though I had my Scotland top on. After I told him 'no Im from Scotland' he asked me whereabouts in England was Scotland... :(

I got mistaken for English there too, forgive them, they're thick.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked in London for a few years and a client I'd dealt with on a daily basis for at least a year had the startling revelation one day... "Angus, you Scottish intcha?". The subtle clues in my name and accent took a mere year to lead this crafty Cockney to his correct summation.

Irish

Irish American

German (by Croatian football fans while in Germany. I was wearing an Airdrie top at the time FFS)

Canadian (In a pub in South Queensferry) I was wearing a Canada cycle shirt at the time though. Guy at the bar doing his crossword looks up and says "What's the capital of Canada?" No idea says I, a'm fae Airdrie...

I always find that making it known that I am Schottisch always helps change peoples attitudes in Germany.