What Nationalities have you been mistaken for?

Kejan

Have you been mistaken for anything else than your own?

French - an old Swedish guy started speaking French to me in Stockholm. A French woman in Germany, and tons of Lebanese people in Dubai.

Spanish - Greek gyros seller asked me if I was from Spain. And a drunken Norwegian in Amsterdam.

Russian - Once in NZ from a Greek guy again, and another time when I introduced myself speaking English with my Scottish east coast brogue to a Canadian.

'A white Greek' - from a Turkish man.

Polish - a couple of times too. Must be my big robust puss.

Yugoslavian - mostly from other foreigners in Sweden.

Chechen - from an actual 'Yugoslavian' in Sweden, and another said ''Moldova/Ukraine''

Georgian - another drunk Norwegian. TBH, very impressed ats the specifics of Georgian. but why no Ossetian ;).

Irish - a lot in America/Canada. And even strangely enough from three different Irish people too!

South African - Ja, braai, bru. Got this in America from a Puerto Rican lady.

'You maybe have a Japanese grandfather down the line' - from a very friendly Japanese tourist. Probably being nice, but it's on the list.

And that's it of the top of my head.

How about you?

German nearly always German. In Portugal an elderly shopkeeper started speaking to me in German. Even when I told her I wasn't German and that I was Scottish(in German), she still insisted on speaking German to me. Must be my striking Ayran look. :lol:

Irish (although technically I could have held an RoI passport if I wanted to), Northern Irish, Polish and Russian on several occasions, but most alarmingly and bizarrely Serbian while playing football against a Croatian team in Canada when Yugoslavia was in the process of breaking up. Lucky to not be in a wheelchair given some of the tackles that were flying in until they finally realised I was Scottish.

When I was in Poland if I walked into a bar the barman would ask what I wanted in Polish. When I was in Germany and I went to buy a train ticket they would ask in German, etc. etc. Dunno if any of this counts as someone thinking I'm foreign or not tho'. Over half the folk I talk to when they come into work are clearly foreign but I still speak to them in English.

When I lived in Jersey a few of the English tourists at my bar kept thinking I was Polish and moaning about "bloody Poles". This was particularly amusing when the person he was moaning about the "Poles" to was a born/bred islander, who spoke Jersey French at home, and said that at least they're better than the fucking English. There was also a Polish girl who worked in the hotel there who was convinced I was Polish and refused to believe me. Since I started working in this hospital at least one visitor/caller a month thinks I'm Polish as well.

Also had a guy come round the house to fix the skirting boards and when I answered the door I telt him I'd go get the landlord on the phone for him and he said to me "Do. You. Have. Your. Landlord's. Number?" I was kinda taken aback as to why he was speaking loudly, and slowly, and asking me what I just told him I was about to do when he went onto his phone and, in a stupid cockney accent, said "Yeah. I'm here but the guy living here's bloody Romanian and can't speak English."

On the ferry to Aland from Sweden I got chatting to this wummin and was firing in when her two pals, a lesbian couple, came over and didn't believe I was Scottish and were certain I was a Dane, pretending to be Scottish, as a way of getting into Swedish girl's knickers.

Also the usual of folk thinking I'm Irish anytime I open my mouth.

A Yank asked me for directions in Kaiserslautern in German and I couldn't be arsed speaking English to him so I just replied to him in German. I think I sent him the wrong way too...

....and Finnish. In Finland. By a Finn. Finns just ain't what they used to be.