The closest 2 Scottish clubs have come to playing each other in Europe

Elixir

In the 1965-66 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, Hearts lost 1-0 in a play-off to Real Zaragoza (in Spain) in the round of 16 following two draws in the previous legs. They went on to draw and beat Dunfermline in the quarter-finals.

Is this the closest two Scottish sides have come to playing each other in a European competition?

Basically this is just a question of "did country protection apply in [insert competition and round here]". If Aberdeen had beaten Bayern Munich in 2008, they could have drawn Rangers in the UEFA Cup Last 16, for example...

I'd have thought there would have been various Fairs Cup occasions - when it could've happened, or was 1 round away.

Also what about Cup-Winners' Cup 1983-84:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983%E2%80%9384_European_Cup_Winners%27_Cup

1997-98 UEFA cup, did the teams that knocked out Rangers 1872 and Celtic not meet in a later round?

can't be bothered researching (or googling) so i'll just ask here!

1997-98 UEFA cup, did the teams that knocked out Rangers 1872 and Celtic not meet in a later round?

can't be bothered researching (or googling) so i'll just ask here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2%80%9398_UEFA_CupLiverpool and Strasbourg met in the next round after beating both yes.

Also just to note. Dundee Utd V Principat 8-0 and 9-0!

Dundee United were two up after the first leg of the 1984 European Cup and Aberdeen were 1 nil down to Porto in the semi final of the 1984 European Cup Winners Cup. At that point it was not out with the realms of possibility they could have been the 1985 Super Cup finalists.

In the First Round of the 1962-63 Fairs Cup Celtic lost 6-4 on aggregate to Valencia.

Valencia were then drawn against Dunfermline in the following round. That round saw Dunfermline lose 4-0 in the first leg before winning 6-2 in the return leg (including 3 goals in the opening 16 minutes). The tie was eventually decided in a replay which took place in Lisbon - Valencia winning 1-0.

Jock Stein was of course the manager at that time.

That is really what we're looking for.

After the early years I suspect 'country protection' would have been applied until the latter stages, as it is now, i.e. even if:

Scottish Club A beat Foreign Club X

Foreign Club Y beat Scottish Club B

Next round featued A v Y

then that tie couldn't actually have come about.

• 2 weeks later...

A similar thread just popped up on Kickback today.

Apparently Hearts and Dunfermline were actually drawn together but we then lost the play-off decider with Zaragoza before it could take place.

A similar thread just popped up on Kickback today.

Apparently Hearts and Dunfermline were actually drawn together but we then lost the play-off decider with Zaragoza before it could take place.

That was indeed the case.

post-11624-0-94020200-1436759147_thumb.p

In the 1967-68 Fairs City Cup, Leeds United knocked out Hibs in the Third Round, Rangers in the QF and then Dundee in the SF.

The draw for the next round hadn't been made yet when Leeds beat Hibs, but it had been when they beat Rangers.

post-11624-0-86662400-1436760071_thumb.p

post-11624-0-08601800-1436760079_thumb.p

Archived