Your favourite pre-election predictions?

Elixir

These are definitely up there for me.

H_B on the SNP winning in the region of 20 seats at the General Election:

Which is of course an absolute fantasy land figure in the first place.

The SNP are a complete irrelevance in General Election terms, and will remain so.

H_B on the SNP winning 12-15 seats at the General Election:

I just see no way the SNP will manage that. Single figures seats.

What are some of your personal favourites from what was a truly memorable campaign?

Genuine question. Why are people so desperate to give prominence to a guy who has made a complete arse of predicting the SNP's popularity and has only recently come slithering back on to this forum?

For me it has to be predicting the tories would win more seats than expected and form the government.

If you want proof go to page 6 "election night roll call" post No37. Only wish i,d put some money on it.

Barely anyone predicted the result so not sure why this is being brought up.

Well actually, quite a few people on this forum correctly predicted the SNP's thumping landslide win, even back in September after the so-called 'defeat' for Scottish nationalism. The forum isn't really concerned with the drubbing of life's losers south of the border as well, but by all means chip in if it makes you all seem briefly relevant.

Hard to look past Jim Murphy and Labour not losing a single seat, which turned out to be true but not in the way he envisaged.

TBF, he was just being publicly defiant. There was plenty of stories of infighting, as well as Labour MPs privately admitting they were done for as far back as February.

Well actually, quite a few people on this forum correctly predicted the SNP's thumping landslide win, even back in September after the so-called 'defeat' for Scottish nationalism. The forum isn't really concerned with the drubbing of life's losers south of the border as well, but by all means chip in if it makes you all seem briefly relevant.

Awful effort.

Awful effort.

An apt summary of your beloved party's election campaign.

Regular readers will note that the fact that many people did, clearly, predict the election outcome has been now waved through without a contest - so your initial foot-stomping protest about the thread is now redundant.

Better luck next time.

An apt summary of your beloved party's election campaign.

Regular readers will note that the fact that many people did, clearly, predict the election outcome has been now waved through without a contest - so your initial foot-stomping protest about the thread is now redundant.

Better luck next time.

I don't have a beloved party you weirdo! Haha. I predicted 50+ seats myself for the SNP. That wasn't the difficult part.

Sorry to keep harping on about my ex MP, but Brian Donohoe being interviewed the Monday before the election telling Shelley Joffre that his majority was massive and was unlikely to be overturned. He predicted he would win by 1500 votes.

He lost by 13589 votes.

Murphy's "we won't lose a single seat to the SNP" was tough to beat.

I'm too busy trying to work my own way through life without worrying about others.

As a nation we're too quick to "put people in their place" and to take pleasure is seeing ambition in others result in utter failure as though it somehow makes our own live a bit less shit.

Coming from you, I find that utterly hilarious.

Awful effort.

He's right, though - I remember vikingTon, among others, noting very shortly after the referendum that Labour's heartlands had, by and large, utterly rejected the parties message on independence to vote Yes, and as such predicted a strong "Yes bloc" firmly uniting behind the SNP for the GE.

I'm not sure if the #snpout twitter crew count in terms of pre-election predictions, but they encouraged a few laughs this election.

There's a whole other level of blind optimism to be achieved, but this project was highly amusing, in their aims for tactical voting against the SNP. My personal favourite was @effiedeans for blank, naive earnest, pseudo-intellectual tweeting.

They came up with a chart for each constituency which they called 'The Wheel' and their mantra became 'Trust The Wheel' (iirc). Then one day there was a suggestion that the SNP may have manipulated their poll figures and 'The Wheel' may be inaccurate, and this resulted in seemingly genuine panic.

Fingers crossed they have another go with 'The Wheel' for Holyrood elections next year. Could be even funnier next time round.

Hard to look past Jim Murphy and Labour not losing a single seat, which turned out to be true but not in the way he envisaged.

definitely my favourite quote of the election. And I agree about H_B too, ignore the sad troll

Sorry to keep harping on about my ex MP, but Brian Donohoe being interviewed the Monday before the election telling Shelley Joffre that his majority was massive and was unlikely to be overturned. He predicted he would win by 1500 votes.

He lost by 13589 votes.

Murphy's "we won't lose a single seat to the SNP" was tough to beat.

:lol:

Did he genuinely say that? That's fucking beautiful.

I blame his website.

Ah well, at least he's got time now to cut about Croy shore with his model helicopters!

Archived