Yet another US shooting

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/aug/21/michael-medved/talk-show-host-police-kill-more-whites-blacks/

Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks. 

"More whites are killed by the police than blacks primarily because whites outnumber blacks in the general population by more than five to one," Forst said. The country is about 63 percent white and 12 percent black.

Half as many black people killed but are a less than a fifth of the population.  Maybe you don't understand the significance of that or maybe your prejudices extend beyond misogyny.

^^^selective quoting racist idiot found, conveniently ignoring relative crime rates

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah, that was my thought too.  The worrying thing is where does it go from here?

However much anyone may try to justify this action I can see it on exacerbating an already incendiary situation.  Can we anticipate a small scale race war with other groups emulating the actions of these shooters?  That's a hell of a scary prospect for the people of the U.S. - particularly black people who will no doubt get the worst of it.

It's a sad and frightening thought that after almost two terms of the first black U.S. President that the incidence of police shooting of black men is as high as it is.

It's probably to cut down the chances of there being a second black US president...

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/aug/21/michael-medved/talk-show-host-police-kill-more-whites-blacks/

Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks. 

"More whites are killed by the police than blacks primarily because whites outnumber blacks in the general population by more than five to one," Forst said. The country is about 63 percent white and 12 percent black.

Half as many black people killed but are a less than a fifth of the population.  Maybe you don't understand the significance of that or maybe your prejudices extend beyond misogyny.

Not wanting to get dragged into the whole racism thing here but that doesn't take into account the "where" and the "when". For various socio-economic reasons, areas with high Black & Latino populations suffer from deprivation, poverty, substance abuse and violent crime. These areas need more policing than "leafy white suburbs" so you have more armed police coming into contact with more armed black men more often. It's inevitable that the figures appear skewed at a casual glance.

10 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Not wanting to get dragged into the whole racism thing here but that doesn't take into account the "where" and the "when". For various socio-economic reasons, areas with high Black & Latino populations suffer from deprivation, poverty, substance abuse and violent crime. These areas need more policing than "leafy white suburbs" so you have more armed police coming into contact with more armed black men more often. It's inevitable that the figures appear skewed at a casual glance.

The same tactic is applied here, obviously on a much less controversial scale and outcome but a simple police tactic is to pay more attention to your easterhouse , drumchapel and possil's than they do with milngavie, bearsden Etc 

sadly Americas problem is this mixes in with high racial tensions, bitter gang feuds  and both the communities and it seems the police having some trigger happy members 

Edited by forever_blue

I agree with this, however the socio-economic factors need to be addressed, not just "blacks commit more crime" therefore more instances of police interaction are leading to more police shootings of black men.

It would be really interesting to see how the figures compare on a district by district basis.
The figures and occurrences are probably too sparse to come up with meaningful data.

The second incident, where it appears (now, at least) that the victim was a gainfully employed man, pulled over for nothing more than a tail light, apparently obeying all orders given by the officer, is shot 5 times,with a woman and infant in the same vehicle. This leads me to believe that either the officer wasn't fit for duty or there are major flaws in training & procedure.
The live stream clearly demonstrates he is in panic mode whilst the victims girlfriend displays unreal levels of calm, given what's just happened.

Thought this was interesting -

Not really, all it did was criticise BLM, didn't in any way try to address the real issues.
BLM isn't an organisation that I've got any time for, but there are plenty black people with a genuine sense of grievance who aren't affiliated to BLM.

I'd imagine the cop is agitated cause he has just killed someone.

f**k knows why the lassie isn't getting worked up. She seems more interested in becoming Facebook famous.
I'd be full scale tears and snotters and wouldn't be thinking it's time for a selfie.

From speaking to dozens of black people online, a lot of them don't like BLM and don't view it as an organisation that speaks for them. In many ways I don't see it as a whole lot different from those feminist, LGBT and climate change movements. They're mostly used as a front to advance their hard left wing agenda. They only care when a white man/cop shoots a black person and ignore all the senseless killings that happen in their own communities. A little fact for those who like to race bait. A black cop is twice as likely to shoot a black person than a white cop is.

Edited by Fotbawmad

I'd imagine the cop is agitated cause he has just killed someone.

f**k knows why the lassie isn't getting worked up. She seems more interested in becoming Facebook famous.
I'd be full scale tears and snotters and wouldn't be thinking it's time for a selfie.

You sir, are an idiot.

From speaking to dozens of black people online, a lot of them don't like BLM and don't view it as an organisation that speaks for them. In many ways I don't see it as a whole lot different from those feminist, LGBT and climate change movements. They're mostly used as a front to advance their hard left wing agenda. They only care when a white man/cop shoots a black person and ignore all the senseless killings that happen in their own communities. A little fact for those who like to race bait. A black cop is twice as likely to shoot a black person than a white cop is.

Can you provide a data source for your last sentence? I'd be very interested to read it. It will obviously include the ratio of black officers in that area?

Can you provide a data source for your last sentence? I'd be very interested to read it. It will obviously include the ratio of black officers in that area?

Course he can't. He still can't work out how to change the spelling mistake in his user name.